Stock Exhaust vs Hindle Full System

Hi folks..

Just picked up a 2006 FZ1 that came with a short Yoshimura slip on. The bike has the notorious fuel injection on/off glitch, and the slip on made it worse, causing the bike to run lean and backfire. I'm arranging to have the ECU flash done, but have to wait a bit.

The bike came with a stock canister so I put it on, only to discover the EXUP servo is shot, and Yamaha wants over $350 for it. At least the EXUP valve defaulted to wide open, so I could still ride the bike and kind of assess things.

The stock can is very quiet, which is nice, considering how often I fly past the same farm homes. It helps with the EFI glitch, but doesn't fix it.

The stock can seems pretty restrictive. Noticeable loss of power in all rev ranges. A working EXUP valve isn't likely to change much of that.

It's not easy to find a full exhaust system for a 2006 on the web. Hindle has started making them and they look good. Very well priced.

Anybody have thoughts on Hindle for an FZ1..?

Marcus

Pretty much been through the same scenario as your having with the glitch ,, although an ecu flash should sort it , I found the stock can and a pc made it the most rideable for me , I also have the valve wide open and not connected to the servo motor

Thanks for the reply. Maybe the flash will get me through the winter. We have the odd rideable day here in Vancouver. Save money now, start the rest of the game in the spring..

Apparently it was just the 2006 model. Believe me, it had to be fixed. Pauses and backfires in corners when you're playing with traction limits are totally not cool. Just fine now it's been reprogrammed..

Any full system like that will be even more open, or similar to what you have. I highly recommend just getting the FlashTune stuff and do it yourself. The so-called Ivan flash is a very simple mod to s stock map that I can show you via email.

Hi folks..

Just picked up a 2006 FZ1 that came with a short Yoshimura slip on. The bike has the notorious fuel injection on/off glitch, and the slip on made it worse, causing the bike to run lean and backfire. I'm arranging to have the ECU flash done, but have to wait a bit.

The bike came with a stock canister so I put it on, only to discover the EXUP servo is shot, and Yamaha wants over $350 for it. At least the EXUP valve defaulted to wide open, so I could still ride the bike and kind of assess things.

The stock can is very quiet, which is nice, considering how often I fly past the same farm homes. It helps with the EFI glitch, but doesn't fix it.

The stock can seems pretty restrictive. Noticeable loss of power in all rev ranges. A working EXUP valve isn't likely to change much of that.

It's not easy to find a full exhaust system for a 2006 on the web. Hindle has started making them and they look good. Very well priced.

Anybody have thoughts on Hindle for an FZ1..?

Marcus

Hmm... My dyno tuner guy says that power commanders aren't necessary for Gen II FZ1s. He says anything a power commander can do, he can do, with his access to the stock PCU. Is this possible? I've spent a lot of power commander money over the last decade...

Yes and no. You can flash the ECU to map a tune for your bike and remove the restrictions and throttle snatch. but you can't plug a quickshifter into it. But then you can buy other quickshifters that don't need a PCV anyway.

The advantage of a PCV is that you can easily access and change the maps without needing to get into the ECU each time, and you can easily adjust quickshift RPM if you want to go that way too.

I have had my ECU flashed to remove restrictions, open flies earlier and turn the cooling fans on earlier, but I went with a PCV so that my local tuner could dyno tune a map specific for my bike, climate and fuel available to me. One map does not suit all bikes. I also love how easy it was to install the quickshifter as well.

Back