FJ09 vs Super Tenere vs FZ1?

This is all speculation.

But now that it has been a few years of owning my current 03 FZ1, I am starting to think I want something different to commute on. I do like my bike and it runs great, but I am debating if I should start buying upgrades for it, or consider a new bike altogether. I love the new FZ10, but I know it would not be a good replacement as a commuter to my gen 1, no center stand, no real setup for saddles or a place to strap my backpack down.

I have liked the FJ09 since it came out last year and it seems like a great option, similar MPG, similar seating, nice windscreen, hand protectors, etc. I also like the idea of getting an adventure bike like the Super Tenere and having that ability to toss some knobbies on and take it to the mountains or the desert and tool around off-road a bit.

Anyone have some pro's and cons to these 2 bikes and toss in the 2nd Gen FZ1 as well.

I know the Tenere is a bit more expensive than the FJ and has more displacement, but what else makes it worth the higher price tag? Shaft Drive seems like it could be a better option for commuting than a chain. less maintenance?

I am just thinking out loud really, nothing planned.

Last edited:
You would do well to test ride all 3 and see which one fits you best and feels best as well. I can see advantages to all of those bikes for different reasons. Considering that you do have a cruiser already, I might be tempted towards a sporty choice rather than something like the SuperTen.

I agree with Dustin. It would be a difficult choice unless you've experienced all of them. I do like the thought of an adventure bike and all the possibilities that comes with it. The only thing I do not like about the Super Tenere is the weight. That bike is very heavy. I like the Tiger. Yes, it is only an 800, but it is also 103 lbs lighter... something you'll appreciate if you have an off while in the dirt. ;) The BMW F800 GS is about the same money as the Tiger but 25 lbs heavier. The BMW 1200 GS and the KTM 1190 are both priced too high thus in that class of engine, The Tenere is the clear choice.

I am a Yamaha man for sure.... but what about the Africa Twin? I keep hearing wonderful things about them....

If I do get serious, then I will ride them all for sure, just speculating for now. That is what the interwebs are best for right?

Back