Can you run Michelin Commander's on a Sport Bike?

I recently installed Michelin Commander's on my Yamaha VStar 1300 Touring. The tires seem to last nearly 20k miles on a big heavy cruiser, and feel very planted at high speeds and in the twisties.

Can tires like this be installed on an FZ-1? Will any shops install them?

I am really more curious than anything else. I am not a normal FZ-1 Rider since I do more commuting than I do touring or mountain riding. I really liked the BT023 and currently run the T30's from Bridgestone, but if I could double my mileage by spending a bit more on something like the commander I would seriously consider it.

I have a feeling there are reasons I am not considering as to why this is either:
A> Not Advisable or
B> Just not possible...

Thoughts, Comments?

Well, there is a 200/55R17 available for the rear that might well be shoe horned on but I don't think the bike would handle very well with it if it even would fit. There is no reasonable option for your front tire so it kind of leaves you stranded.

My suggestion is to try some of the longer mileage tires available for you that you haven't tried. I know two that have built a reputation as very high mileage tires:
Avon Storm 3D X-M Radial Rear Tire - Motorcycle Superstore
Shinko 009 Raven Rear Tire - Motorcycle Superstore

You can also try the 'GT' spec of some other tires you may have tried in the past.

Last edited:
Yeah you recommended the Shrinko in the past and when it is time to change tires again I am going to look at those. So is the biggest factor of the Commanders that they just don't make them in a size that would fit the rim of my Fizzy? I was mostly curious.

Yeah, no size availability. Your bike has a 120/70R17 front and a 180/55R17 rear. There is simply no front tire available that would fit your bike and the only rear even close is a 200/55R17. While that may fit on your stock 5.5" rim with some squeezing, I don't think having such a pinched, bulging tire on the rear will produce any positive results.

Here's an example of the different tire and wheel sizes
180-190.png

FYI, the Avon Storm 3D X-M I linked above actually has a 15,000 mile warranty so I guess that might be something for you to take advantage of if you don't get the results you're looking for.

The hunt for mileage is a tricky one, eh?

Last edited:
Back