Low RPM issue? SOS

Hello everyone. This is my first post on the site, by the way. So here's what happened.

I've had my '04 FZ1 for about 4 months. I left town, and left it untouched for about 10-12 days with almost no gas in the tank. I came back, started her up, rode about 100 yards to the gas station, filled up the tank completely, and got about 300 yards down the road before I noticed that the RPM's weren't as high as they normally would be at the speeds I was going. I pulled off into a parking lot, took off my helmet, and took a lap around the lot to get a better listen to the engine. But before the lap was through, my engine stopped! I hit the starter and it came back on while I was still rolling but when I pulled over and tried again, it wouldn't stay on for more than a couple seconds. I left it there cause it's a trustworthy, nearby parking lot. Came back at the crack of dawn, the ignition and lights came on but the engine wouldn't even turn! So I stopped trying before I did some damage to the engine, and pushed it home.

Took the battery out, charged it up, said it's at 100% charge. Took the battery to my mechanic, who said it's got about 30% life in it. So I bought a Yuaza YT14B-BS, which should be here tomorrow. I'm hoping that's the fix. But, if the battery isn't the problem, I think I'm screwed. Cause it could be the fuel pump, the carbs, or god knows what else, and my mechanic told me that new carb jets for the 04 would run me 1,600!!! I CAN'T afford that. But he recommended 4 carb cleaning kits at $25 a pop. I'm in Central Florida, and I'm not sure if that's a good deal, because this is the only bike mechanic in town.

Everyone, I'm screwed. I'm a college student, so I can't afford the shop time for something major like replacing or cleaning the carbs, and I'm barely competent enough to do that myself without a youtube link. Classes start Monday and this is my only form of transportation. SOS!

A dead or dying battery would certainly cause those issues so let's hope that's the fix. A few notes for you:

You shouldn't store your bike with almost no fuel in the tank. Before you go away, fill the tank up and add some fuel stabiliser. Modern fuel with ethanol is especially bad at attracting water, promoting rust and ruining your fuel system. You live in a hot and humid place which makes it worse.

Batteries die and that's considered a normal wear item on bikes. That said, if you are going away for a period of time, hook the battery up to a tender to keep it topped up and it will last longer.

Your location says Gainesville and a quick search on Google showed me more than a dozen motorcycle dealers/repair shops. Maybe you're just outside of the city but you certainly have options within Gainesville.

Keep us posted! Good luck

So, because I know very little about bike mechanics, could you explain to me why would the battery cause this issue? I could understand the battery not getting the engine to turn, but what I don't understand is how the battery relates to RPM's. I thought that was the fuel system.. I've had a battery die on me before, but it's never turned my engine off while I was still moving.

Also, what fuel additive would you recommend?
Thanks!!

My experience with old/dying batteries is that they can sometimes lose charge while the bike is running. I recently replaced my battery because it was doing just that. The way I see it is that the battery is not only there to start the bike but also support the charging system when it is not producing adequate voltage, like at low RPM. If you consider all the things that require electricity to keep the bike running, like the fuel pump & ignition system, it would make sense that a dead or dying battery would cause a misfire or even cause the bike to cut out. I may have the wrong idea so hopefully someone will correct me if so.

As for fuel additive, you can just add some STA-BIL if you're storing the bike for a while. Make sure the tank is completely full and if you have access to ethanol-free gas in your area, even better.

Last edited:
Update!

So I got the new battery, that Yuasa I mentioned earlier, and... no dice. Fortunately, the engine now turns over, at least. And it can idle, as far as I can tell. But when I try to give it gas, the engine speed isn't as responsive as it should be, and the RPM's get lower and lower with each rev until it finally stops altogether & the engine shuts off. My service manual suggests I should try replacing the air filter element and/or the spark plugs next, so I guess I'll order new parts... I'm pretty sure a google search and my service manual should be enough to get the right ones.

Any suggestions on what to do now?? Class starts on Monday & I need my FZ1 working ASAP.

Also, I was looking under the fuel tank at the fuel hoses. The hoses don't look cracked or warped or anything, but they do look a little dirty, so I figured I'd clean them while I have the tank off later when I replace the air filter. I was gonna use soap, water, and a rag. Is that okay? Or is there some sort of chemical that would prolong the life of the tubes?

Thanks!

I would get yourself a volt meter and check the charging system before you go any further. It almost sounds like your bike isn't making enough current and starts draining the battery and eventually dies.

[video=youtube;YvRe9g_2gyM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvRe9g_2gyM[/video]

Sadly, I don't have a lot of ideas for you but this is certainly a good place to start.

Last edited:
Dustin, thank you for all this help.

Fortunately, being on a university campus means I can definitely borrow a voltage checker for free and get my hands on it within 24 hours. So before I proceed, I'll try that out.
At the same time, since I bought this bike from someone else, I think I should change the spark plugs and air filter anyway, because I don't know the last time they were serviced. Previous owner left me no paperwork on that. Gonna order a BMC FM289/08 air filter, because the forums say the K&N doesn't always fit right. (Also ordering that STA-BIL.)

Now I just need spark plugs, but I can't find ANYWHERE online how many I need? I"m guessing 1 for each cylinder but I want some to be sure before I order too many or too few. Could I please troubla ya for a link to new spark plugs on amazon or something?

Thanks!

4 plugs, one for each cylinder.

Dustin's info sounds about right. you may also want to check all the connectors while you have the tank up checking everything else out. Sometimes the connectors go bad and the current can't get through. Look for any that look a little fried.

You can also check your idle speed adjustment screw on the left side of the bike. I had to increase my idle RPM about 100 which is now at around 1100 RPMs. I've had no issues after that.

Mine does same sort of thing when plugs are shot, try changing them out and clean air filter
Also when battery is on the way out it will intermittently not turn over clock / trip meters will all reset to 0.
Now keep bike on tender whenever at home and this battery is going on 6 years old now
Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Last edited:
UPDATE: I had to cave and take it to the mechanic so I would be able to park on college campus this week, since classes started.

The mechanic found that there was a ton of water in the gas tank. So after cleaning the carbs with a carb kit, he flushed the water out and dried everything and now it runs great! Cost me 700.00 though.... damn.
The water was getting in from an after-market fuel cap the previous owner installed. I need to find some O-rings to seal that sucker a little better so I don't get more water in my tank in the future. Thank you to everyone for all the help, I appreciate all the things I've learned from this thread! :)

The internet told me NGK CR9EIX would fit my bike, are you sure it's the CR9EK? I have an '04 Gen 1 FZ1

The CR9EK is the factory plug but you can definitely use the IX which is an iridium plug. They are a bit more expensive but offer a longer service life. Glad you're all fixed and back on the road. Strange issue, indeed.

Last edited:
And it can idle, as far as I can tell. But when I try to give it gas, the engine speed isn't as responsive as it should be, and the RPM's get lower and lower with each rev until it finally stops altogether & the engine shuts off.

Sounds like fuel starvation. How does the fuel filter look? Is the fuel pump working.

It may be a charging issue. But, if you put in a fresh and fully charged battery the bike would certainly run for more than just a couple of minutes.

After it dies will the motor turn over, even if it won't start.

Back