Low rpm spitting/stuttering

Hi all,

I bought my 2006 FZ1 last August, and I've been loving it. I'm mainly a lurker on here just to find information, but I have a minor issue I can't seem to solve. At lower rpms, say 3500 and below, it likes to make this spitting sputtering sound from the exhaust. This doesn't happen when I'm accelerating, or if I'm above 3500-4000 rpm though.

Here are the things I have done to try and correct the issue, not to too much success though.

Run a can of seafoam
Installed fresh spark plugs
Installed another set of R1 coils from ebay - all 4 of these new ones, and all 4 of my original coils test in spec by the way
Made sure fuel line is not kinked
Eliminated the AIS, although I wanted to do that anyways as I have a slip-on

The bike is totally ridable, this is just really annoying/slightly embarrassing at times. Thanks guys.

Bumping this up to add that I looked at my TPS to find it was at 16. Got excited and adjusted to 18.....still doing it.

Guess what ? Totally normal. This bike has huge intake tracts that require a lot of fuel down low to run smooth. Unfortunately most tuners, even the manufacturer have this bike way ttoo lean down low. So that sputter you have from 3000 and below is normal. An ecu flash or a dyno tune may help as long as the tuner is good.

did you confirm the new "used" coil packs were proper? put temp gauge on each pipe as it warms up from cold. the one not the same temp as the others, is failing. it sounds like a failed coil pack.

other option is yes, bad fueling stock is always bad.

I'm updating this thread hoping to help anyone in the future having a similar problem. I ended up checking header temps, and they were more or less similar enough, so I ruled out the coils.

I took it to my local performance shop and they put it on the dyno, found that the RPM's I've been having problems in were indeed very lean. Installed PCV with a dynojet map (don't currently have the money for a custom tune), and the problem is gone.

This is a "little" late to the party, but in case it helps:

I'm not sure the described problem is the same as mine. My gen 2 bike stumbled and was generally crappy off idle. This really made rolling on the throttle out a corner sketchy. Actually it was a bit scary. I found out this was normal for injected bikes and had to due with emissions. I sent my ECU to Ivan (Ivan's Performance Products) for a flash and installed his Power Commander. Problem solved. Now it's a sweet, smooth roll on of power off idle. It's like an electric motor all the way to 12k. From both a safety and enjoyability standpoint, this is a required mod.

Jeff

Back