Hesitation off idle when hot. Wants to Die

Sactown2008

Last Week:

Stalling off idle is back. Dealer partially cleans my EFI (carbon buildup), turns up my idle and sells me Yamaha fuel cleaner. I put a measured amount in the next seven tanks. Hesitation off idle "gone." He tells me to ride the bike HARD once and awhile. After my 1200 mile trip to Southern CA it sounds like it's missing AGAIN after a week of commuting to work. take it back on Tuesday.

This Week:

Dealer just said one Coil is bad, so it was ordered. Four new plugs will be installed (Only 7k in the last four. 19k on this 08 FZ1). Compression is too high do to suspected, "Carbon build up." That caused the carbon blow-back in the Throttle Bodies last month. Service manager said worse case is $1900-$3100 to pull the head, clean it and install new rings, but I might not need it if I go back to not riding hard(I do 99% on the time) and keep using De-Carbonining solution they sold me last month. I'm waiting on pulling the head.

A response on today on FB FZ1 Owners Group:

"Too high compression and/or carbon buildup CANNOT cause your problem. The compression at idle, and just above is low due to small partial throttle opening. All this discussion of carbon is foolishness. You need a better mechanic. Regular use of top tier gas like Chevron, exxon, or shell will keep your engine carbon-free. Look up top tier gas on google. I just removed a head on a 140,000 mile chevy engine and it was carbon free due to using top tier gas. When a fuel injected engine does not respond properly to throttle movement it's usually a bad throttle position sensor, and they go bad often. Check the resistance through it with an ohmmeter, to make sure the open and shut values are proper, and particularly that the curve is smooth as it is slowly operated."

Wow! I love dealers soooo much! NOT! I've never heard of built up carbon deposits screwing up throttle bodies and cylinder heads on late model bikes and cars. What a load of crap. I believe it would more likely due to a coil issue or bad plug which I just had experienced. However, rather than trying to figure out which one was intermittently failing, I bought 4 new ones from Partshark along with brand new plugs and changed everything. The bike runs perfectly again with better power than before. I just love some of these scenarios that dealers come up with! :rofl:

What brand gas you put in it? I had all sorts of idle and stalling issues when I was using Costco Gas, swapped to Chevron and all my issues went away.

Back