Elusive 7th Gear

Everytime I go for a ride I find myself shifting up from 6th, anyone else do this

It gets better with time. I bought my gen 1 in July last year, put about 6,000 miles on it since and now I don't do it as much. Two things, 1) I know that 6th gear is 60mph at 4,000 rpm, 52 mph at 3,500 rpm and 45 mph at 3,000 rpm and 2) I have become attuned to the slightly different vibration feeling in the bars when in 6th. It did take a long while though, so don't despair :)

One more thing, when shifting to 6th, the throw on the selector is a little shorter than when shifting lower gears, so I use that as a clue also.

Interestingly, I installed a gear indicator a couple of weeks ago which I had bought in October, but I just took it off because I no longer need it and it was more of a distraction.

Last edited:
After many miles you know by your rpms what gear you are in at highway speeds. Actually when my speed sensor quit couple years back rode with no Speedo for a bit while new one was on order and it is amazing how you really do know you speed by rpms, not one ticket :)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Back