Help, changed fork fluid, can't adjust compr/rebound now

Okay guys well I changed my fork oil yesterday and everything went well and dandy until I got the forks back on the bike and went to adjust the rebound and compression and realized I cannot turn either screw either way.

I obviously did not have the cap adjusted right when I reinstalled it. I did as the manual said

For the nut on the damper rod, I had them at 12 mm from the top of the nut to the top of the threads. It seemed too far to me but that's what the manual said. Where that was at the nut was almost all the way threaded down the rod to where it couldnt't go any farther (about 1/2" down).

Also, for the cap for the screws I used a vernier caliper and set it to where it was 13 mm from the very bottom of the cap where the rod threads on to the little silver screw inside the hole that presses on the assembly.

Something was obviously wrong. Can anyone give me a better description of where these need to be set at so it will all work right for me? If any one had pictures that would be wonderful.

Also, what's the easiest way to get this fixed. Is the wheel and all going to have to come back off? If so do I just need to remove top triple, remove wheel/axle, unscrew cap, use spring compressor tool/holder and then remove the cap and readjust everything?

I was feeling all great and accomplished and had everything but the headlight back on when I realized tihs :tantrum2::tantrum2::tantrum2:

Thanks,
Spencer

I haven't done my forks yet, but I will back all adjusters off first, I have replaced the normal fork caps to preload ones on my old 900 Hornet, simply by screwing them out and screwing the new ones in[ attaching the damper rods of cause]. Took a bit of doing pressing them in and starting the thread at the same time, but managed to do it, may be worth a try first?

Changed my fork oil today, first time, adjusters seem fine ,I notice mine have 28 Comp & 30 rebound click`s not the 26 they say . But had this before I changed the fluid? after reading your post I checked to see if they were all working before I but them back on bike. The rebound side I had to do again, 12mm damper rod nut, 13mm inside cap. only finger tighten cap then had to spin the lock nut up a couple of turns so it ended up around 10mm not the 12mm as stated in manual, I believe they say 12mm so cap will not bottom out before it is screwed right down?. Yet to take the bike for a test run as we had a storm this afternoon.

Last edited:
Back