Hello new member here,
I am between bikes at the moment but thinking of coming back to biking.My last bike was a Honda ST1100 Pan European.This time thinking of a 2007/2008 FZ1.What is the fuel tank capacity ? How many miles to a tankfull of petrol on dual carriageway or motorway should I expect cruising at a steady 70 mph.At what mileage intervals are valve clearance checks.Many thanks for any help.I am approaching 60 years of age and want something that weighs less than a Pan euro.For my 60th birthday I am going to to a trip from England to France Portugal Spain and back to England,all being well.Or fly into Texas buy a FZ1 head west and then do a circular route of the American coastline eventualy ending back up in Texas selling the bike and flying back to England

Regards
Steve

Hi Steve & welcome
tank holds 18 ltrs and you will see between 100 /140 miles out of that depending how you ride , I normally see 120 put of mine , valves are due at 26k I believe ,, all in all a great all round bike

Welcome to the forum! You'll certainly be taking a big hit in fuel range compared to the ST1100, 7.5 gallon fuel tank on that thing!

Welcome Dogslow you can expect to get about half the miles on a tankful on the FZ as the ST . If you take it easy !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome! Hey, unless you buy a first generation FZ1 and then tool around for almost 200 miles!

I was hoping for 40 mpg ridden sensibly and from 18 ltrs just under 4 gallons imperial 160 miles.........I have seen a nice used one on ebay .Decisions decisions.The reasons I am looking at this bike to tour on compared to my old st 1100 for me would be better brakes .lighter better handling more fun.I was expecting 180 to a tankful cruising at 65 ,70 mph. If it only does 120 miles to a tankful that is dreadful.

Last edited:
The 'best' FZ1 for touring is the first generation. It has a bigger tank, noticeably better fuel economy and more open ergonomics; it's also heavier. Both bikes will be great but they have slightly different advantages and disadvantages.

As a general rule and using data from users (Yamaha FZ1 Mileage | Fuelly), the first gen has an average fuel economy of 49 MPG UK and the second gen has a average of 42 UK. This should yield ~220 miles for the 1st gen and ~170 for the 2nd gen until empty.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Hate to say it but two of my buddies have Honda cb1000r , 17 ltr tank and can dredge 170 miles from it , and that's riding fairly hard .. I'm about to put my stock can on and load a map in my pc just to see if I can improve on my mpg , wouldn't hold much hope though ,

The 'best' FZ1 for touring is the first generation. It has a bigger tank, noticeably better fuel economy and more open ergonomics; it's also heavier. Both bikes will be great but they have slightly different advantages and disadvantages.

As a general rule and using data from users (Yamaha FZ1 Mileage | Fuelly), the first gen has an average fuel economy of 49 MPG UK and the second gen has a average of 42 UK. This should yield ~220 miles for the 1st gen and ~170 for the 2nd gen until empty.

Hope that helps

Dustin,
Well done my man you have earned a nice cup of coffee at Granville Island or a coffee and bun at Tim Horton's or a cup of coffee at Mickey D at Squamish on route to whistler how cool is that that.Thank you for the info.
Steve

Hope that helps

Be very interested to hear from anyone who gets the claimed 170 to a tank ! Just managed 135

Well, that's 170 and then you're walking! 4.76 US gallons * 36 MPG = 171 miles if you're willing or forced to run your tank dry ;)

Ah yes , I forget the US gallon !! That's 144 miles in my language , witch to be fair I may of squeezed out of it before I started walking

It all gets very confusing for me with the English measurements. You guys measure your fuel capacity in litres, your speed in miles and your fuel economy in UK miles per gallon

Ok I have put an offer in for a nice looking 2007 model with panniers topbox it looks very nice.just got to wait see.Will this have an exup valve ? sorry about my ignorance of this model.I had been out of biking for a few years and saw this and thought ...........nice very nice$_57.jpg

Looks a nicely kitted out bit of kit ,, they do have a valve in the exhaust witch is purely for noise regulations rather than power ,, I have the valve in my stock can wired open and removed the cables so I can easily swop it out with my bad boy remus can

I think its going to be a lot of fun. Weight wise it is 14 stone less than my old ST 1100 .It may do a lot less to a tankfull but I think it will manage lots of smiles per mile.One of my first trips is going to be France.I live 5 and a half hours north of the Eurotunnel then 35 minutes on the train France empty roads n sunshine.get in:angel:

I think the biggest difference in the two bikes is the suspension . The stock rear shock is very bad on FZ . However the R1 shock and adapter is a cheap decent fix .
The FZ looks really nice good luck !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back