bye bye FZ1N

mrjessehlee

Ive just sold my bike on.

torn apart between these two bikes. Completely different end of scale I know.

10409673_10152841574756663_3939304648911273807_n_zps2d675685.jpg

Which one do I get? just in terms of "cool factor" which ones more cool to you?

Last edited:
Between the two choices you give, I think I'd have the Bolt. The Streetfighter is the obvious choice but I'm not sure I'd want to actually own a Ducati. They are two completely different bikes, though, aren't they? :)

I took the 1200 duc for a test ride a month ago and have to say I was impressed. Power is everywhere and it handles like a bike half it's cc's. Eye candy factor is impressive. Everybody noticed the red beast. The 821 duc is also an option.
cheers

Well, mrjessehlee, you are comparing two completely different bikes. Seeing as you are considering a Bolt, I don't think you're planning on doing any aggressive riding. But put it this way, you can cruise around just fine on either bike. "Coolness" is subjective and everyone has a different opinion. But if your ever do want to go hit the twisties hard, then you'd be real sorry if you got a cruiser. The Streetfighter can do everything the Bolt can do, but not the other way around.

I took the 1200 duc for a test ride a month ago and have to say I was impressed. Power is everywhere and it handles like a bike half it's cc's. Eye candy factor is impressive. Everybody noticed the red beast. The 821 duc is also an option.
cheers

Those are Monsters. The Streetfighter is only made in 848 trim now. Really though for someone deciding between a Bolt or Streetfighter, it doesn't sound like he's trying to be ricky racer through the canyons so a Monster really would be a better choice than the SF.

. The Streetfighter can do everything the Bolt can do, but not the other way around.

I'm not so sure. I can see myself knocking back multiple 600 mile days on a Bolt but most certainly not on a Streetfighter. It was rough back in April on my VFR and that is a comfortable bike compared to the Streetfighter.

On a proper US road trip, the Bolt is the right choice. The Ducati will most likely break down at least once.

I'm not so sure. I can see myself knocking back multiple 600 mile days on a Bolt but most certainly not on a Streetfighter. It was rough back in April on my VFR and that is a comfortable bike compared to the Streetfighter.

On a proper US road trip, the Bolt is the right choice. The Ducati will most likely break down at least once.

Haha well I think the choice is very obvious if he knows what kind of riding he's going to do. And as far as Ducati reliability goes, my dad and a lot of his buddies are Ducati guys. Aside from the frequent service intervals (less frequent on the newer ones), they don't seem to really have a lot of problems like people make it sound.

Last edited:
Haha well I think the choice is very obvious if he knows what kind of riding he's going to do. And as far as Ducati reliability goes, my dad and a lot of his buddies are Ducati guys. Aside from the frequent service intervals (less frequent on the newer ones), they don't seem to really have a lot of problems like people make it sound.

We had one come along on a 2000+km trip to Phillip Island this year, at the end of each day he was sore.... On the cold mornings it was hardly starting (he already needs a new starter with just 10000km on the clock - battery is fine). He said he missed his R1.....

I'm not convinced. Lots of people claim Ducati is reliable now but then again, lots of people consider 200 miles to be a long day in the saddle. I've never actually met a Ducati rider with a high mileage bike. I have, however, met lots of riders with Ducatis in shops. Just the other day I met a guy with an 848 that had a complete and utter failure of the rear braking system after 1000 km. He has a friend with a Streetfighter that refused to start several times this year (ECU, fuses, etc) despite only owning it since May and riding it a dozen times.

For people who actually ride long distances and need a dependable bike, I really think they fall short.

Alas, I suppose they should, they're exotic Italian dream machines. I'd certainly love to own a Hypermotard or 1199 or whatever other gorgeous architect of speed comes from them.

Last edited:
Met a girl and her husband a couple of months ago both with near new Ducati's. She used to sell them, both stated point blank these were the last ones. Multiple break downs the last straw.

A friend bought a Diavel and he is a high mileage rider. In less than two years and about 60,000km the rear suspension needed to be fixed twice and there were two engine failures (cylinder head problems). The importer/dealer bought it back and gave him a decent price on a BMW K1600GT. No electrical problems from the Duc which was the most surprising part.

The smaller Monsters seem reasonably well sorted but I'm not so sure about the larger Ducatis.

Those are Monsters. The Streetfighter is only made in 848 trim now. Really though for someone deciding between a Bolt or Streetfighter, it doesn't sound like he's trying to be ricky racer through the canyons so a Monster really would be a better choice than the SF.

I did not know that they stopped the large SF. The 848 should be better rideable. I agree with Matt that the Monster would be something to consider got really nice reviews.

Thanks everyone for the comments. it helped a lot. Just to make matters more complicated I am also considering HD iron 883..

choices choices CHOICES!!

Back