Removing cover over front sprocket

What's the best way to remove shift mechanism so can clean front sprocket? Do the nuts on the shift arm have to be totally taken off or can they just be loosened?

Yes you have to remove the shift rod. The front locknut is right hand thread while the rear locknut is left hand thread. Just mark it so you can remember where it was set.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I don't remember undoing the locknuts when I got into mine to clean and inspect the front sprocket. I think there is a screw or bolt that you can remove at a ball type joint, to remove the shift rod as an entire unit.

I might be too late on this, seeings as the last post was yesterday, but who knows ...

EDIT: There is a rubber boot over the ball joint that I'm talking about, and the screw is under it.

Why mess around and risk damaging the rubber boot/ball joint when all it takes is a minute or two to remove the rod?

The workshop manual shows the same.

Last edited:
Why mess around and risk damaging the rubber boot/ball joint when all it takes is a minute or two to remove the rod?

The workshop manual shows the same.

I don't have the manual, and did the work the best way I could by looking at it. While I can't speak for anyone else, I am generally very careful and methodical about my wrenching, hence the boot and ball joint were never in danger of being harmed by my hands. To each his own I suppose.

He's probably got it finished by now, but since you have the book, maybe throw up a picture for him and others that might search and find this thread.

Cheers!
:)

Sorry but the last time I posted a shot from my manual, I was asked to remove it by a moderator.

With all the Yamaha copyright nonsense going on I'm hesitant to post any pics from my manual on here, as I suspect it will happen again.

Ballmead is right on with the service manual description which, when ai look at it, makes sense. Because, it's how I did it without looking at the manual.

Sorry but the last time I posted a shot from my manual, I was asked to remove it by a moderator.

With all the Yamaha copyright nonsense going on I'm hesitant to post any pics from my manual on here, as I suspect it will happen again.

No worries there from me, I agree that you are probably right about this. I actually thought about that after I'd posted up.

Ballmead is right on with the service manual description which, when ai look at it, makes sense. Because, it's how I did it without looking at the manual.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to get a manual so I can look at what you guys are looking at.

;)

I need to get one soon anyway, it's getting close to valve lash check/adjustment time.

Sorry about all the sidebar in your thread, f1faniam, I'll be quiet now.

:eek:

Back