LighTech rearsets

I fitted up my LighTech rearsets this afternoon.

They are awesome quality and are different to the first version of them that I have seen in pics.

The best part, they fit through the frame like the stock rearsets, which was a must for me.

I set them around 20mm higher and around 15mm further back

Instead of mucking around with the stock rear brake switch, I installed a Yamaha WR450 hydraulic rear brake switch.

And seeing as how I had to bleed the brakes again, I decided to match my front braided lines and get a new HEL rear one too.

Here's the pics, I'm really happy with them so far but will probably have to adjust the lever positions once I test ride the bike.

LighTech by Ballmead, on Flickr

Last edited:
nice looking rearset's - i went Rizoma and could not believe the more stable ride. I hope yours give you the same positive feeling.

Nice set of rear sets John! Never seen these when I bought my Rizoma's from Carpimoto. Perhaps a word of warning, I found out with the Rizoma's were that the gear lever chewed up toe guard on my A-stars SMX-1 boot...... And the boots were just out of the warranty period!!
Simple fix was to placed a rubber plug over the lever tip.

I've had these rearsets for 3 months now and I have mixed feelings about them.

Firstly, the build quality is top notch.

The lowest, furthest forward position is still higher and further back than stock, so these are more suited to track/aggressive riding.

The ground clearance is excellent and you can really feel what the chassis is doing compared to the spongy stock rearsets.

It took me a long time to find an acceptable set up that allowed smooth shifting.

To be quite honest; I still think my stock rear sets shift better.

The heel guard damages way too easily in my opinion; it was marked up after the first proper ride I had with them; see the pics.

On the whole I'm fairly happy with them but if I had my time over again; I would have bought Rizoma or Sato.

Last edited:
I've had these rearsets for 3 months now and I have mixed feelings about them.

Firstly, the build quality is top notch.

The lowest, furthest forward position is still higher and further back than stock, so these are more suited to track/aggressive riding.

The ground clearance is excellent and you can really feel what the chassis is doing compared to the spongy stock rearsets.

It took me a long time to find an acceptable set up that allowed smooth shifting.

To be quite honest; I still think my stock rear sets shift better.

The heel guard damages way too easily in my opinion; it was marked up after the first proper ride I had with them; see the pics.

On the whole I'm fairly happy with them but if I had my time over again; I would have bought Rizoma or Sato.

Thank you for sharing your findings.
I was looking at getting a set for myself but the fact that they scuff easily and that shifting is not on par with the stock bits, makes me not wanting these anymore.

OP: so, what is the type of finish on the lightechs? it doesn't seem to be wearing as anodizing should; is it merely paint? maybe i'm mislead by the pics. where your boots rub the guards - that would be a rubber/sole area of the boot, right?

The heel guard is wearing against the hard plastic parts on the ankle area of my Sidi boots.

It seems to be anodised to me but I have still managed to wear it to bare metal.

On the whole I'm pretty happy with the rearsets but I'd probably look elsewhere if I did it again as I'm not real happy with the heel guard wear.

It's close but there is still clearance, it bugged me too that I couldn't get it more centred but the shifter was unusable when set up that way.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I'm looking at rearsets now and the positive for me is that these are for the more aggressive type of riding. How bad is the shifting compared to OEM sets? Replace heel plates to carbon available? Maybe a wrap around the heel plates?

(Edit: There are carbon replacement plates on RevZilla. $53 each side...)

I'm interested in these, Vortex, Driven and Gilles.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm happy with them now, it took a while to get them set up right though.

The scratches on the heel guards don't bother me so much anymore.

Sent from my Moto G (4)

Back