Black Canyon - A FZ1 ride report

**This was a somewhat impromptu ride and I happened to still have my camera in my tank bag from last weekend's overnight ride to Durango/Pagosa Springs.

My original plans for this weekend where for Mrs. Clovis and I to ride 2 up to Glenwood Springs with a CSC group and enjoy some R&R but my weekend riding availabilty changed at the last minute and I would not be able to make it.

Disappointed I wouldn't be able to make the Glenwood Springs ride or ride this weekend in general, I checked Friday's weather forecast as an alternative and what luck! Sunny skies everywhere with highs from 70 to 85! Perfect weather for a Black Canyon ride!

The route:

S Favorite St, Colorado Springs, CO 80905 to S Favorite St, Colorado Springs, CO 80905 - Google Maps

BlackCanyonRoutepicture_zps92811850.jpg

I wrapped up some business at work by 10AM and by 10:45AM I was on the bike making my way towards Canyon City.

Weather was perfectly warm and the roads were in pristine condition. Still a large number of tourists on the road (especially to look at the changing colors) but not as dense as it's been over the summer and certainly fewer people than you'll find on Peak 2 Peak this time of year. If you like to go leaf peeping and get in some riding, Black Canyon is the place. Monarch, McClure and Indie Passes are all currently in their prime!

Railed some highway 50 between Canyon City and Salida. Stopped for gas in Salida and started my way up Monarch and onto Gunnison and the Black Canyon.

Black Canyon is in just phenomenal shape this time of year! At the scenic overlook I realized I happen to have my camera with me, still packed in my tank bag from the previous weekend's Durango/Pagosa Springs trip.

So unfortunately that's where the pictures start.

Scenic overlook of Black Canyon:

If you haven't been to the Black Canyon or even if you just haven't been this year, I highly recommend you try it NOW before the season comes to an end and Indie Pass closes! Black Canyon (aka Hwy 92) is 30 miles of prime twistie roads. Road is in great conditions, last chip sealed in August 2011.

God himself must have had sport bikes in mind when he created this western slope gem!

Very little traffic, you will see more motorcycles than cars.
No cops, all though occasionally I will see a state trooper by the dam but never past the ranger station (located behind the dam).
A mix of 20-35mph yellow sign corners.
Very scenic

After coming out of the Black Canyon I made my way towards Crawford and then Paonia to get gas.

The Paonia to Carbondale section features one of my all time favorite Colorado roads, Hwy 133 McClure Pass. Hwy 133, if you're not familiar, is is a 40+ mile mix of low-medium-high speed sweepers with little traffic and visabilty through the corners. The fun section runs between Sommerset and Carbondale.

I'll just leave these pictures...here...

(The north face of McClure Pass)

DSC00932_zpsf5c6841c.jpg.html

DSC00935_zpsaf641c66.jpg

DSC00937_zpsf00d3486.jpg

Oh yes please, may I have some more sir?

DSC00940_zpsd511916e.jpg

Pictures unfortunately had to be brief. I was on a schedule with the goal of being home by 7:00PM

After 133 I strolled into Carbondale where it took a solid 15 minutes to make my way through down due to construction on the main road.

Then it was on to Aspen (wish I had taken some pictures, but again.. time!). In my opinion, Aspen has to be one of the most beaitiful, pictureesq towns in Colorado. The people who are from They enjoy some amazing scenery... it's too bad the super wealthy have taken over Aspen over the past 20 or 30 years... a mega house in Aspen become just another status symbol.

If your curious, this is what $8 million dollars will buy you in Aspen.

9A141284-7EDB-4B5D-B416-29F1624CDD80_zps7mkuuzxi.jpg

Nothing particular about this house, just one I happened to snap a picture of and look up the sales history. ALL of the houses in this part of aspen were valued between 5 and 10 million dollars. I followed a Bentley with Michigen plates into the neighborhood.

Once I was through Aspen it was time to start climbing my favorite Colorado pass, Independence Pass!

Not everyone likes Indie Pass. The road is very narrow, the bends are sharp, the blind spots are many and the road has some rather rough patches due to the constant freeze/thaw cycle. These conditions make Indie Pass a road well suited to casual scenary crusing or a hill climb.

Taken from nearly the top, looking over the road I had just traveled up:

ENHANCE...

ENHANCE...

ENHANCE...

The summit is right around that last corner off in the distance...

Up and over Indie's Summit... looking forward to the road in front of me!

It was around 4:30 in the afternoon at this time and with sunset 2 and 1/2 hours away and with about 2 1/2 hours of riding left to get home, this ended up being my last picture.

From Indie Pass I turned towards Buena Vista, railed on some high speed sweepers some more before settling down for the last 110 miles or so which would mostly consist of straight roads with a sprinkling of twisties along parts of 285 and 24.

I arrived home at 7PM setting a new personal best for this 500 mile day ride; 8 hours and 15 minutes.

Hopefully I can get a couple more runs in before the season ends.

Hope you enjoyed!

Thanks! How can I enter that last picture into bike of the month?

Voting has already started for this month, but hang onto it for uploads for November's contest!
The thread usually goes up around the first part of the month, so keep an eye out for it, in the meantime, you can check out October entries and vote :cool:

http://www.998cc.org/gallery/g634-october-2014-mbom.html

p.s. that last one was the one I liked the best too!

Back