Suggestions on a new Helmet

hillm250

I'm looking for a new helmet to replace my HJC CL-15 (lower end HJC model). I commute nearly 80 miles a day (round trip) and I want something that is quieter at high speeds and defogs better than what I have. I have my eye on the HJC FG-17, but suggestions/opinions are welcome!

Thanks

If you want good antifog, make sure you get the optional pinlock insert. And for noise, the chin curtain. Webbikeworld review says they used to include both but now they are optional. That's a shame but they are well worth it. I've never had any fog with my pinlock insert on shoei and schuberth helmets, even in near freezing temperatures. Other than that, seems like a good helmet for a good price.

I agree with mani. I'll also add that recommendations are very difficult without some key information. Web Bike World is the best research site though.

I say it is difficult because we all have different shape heads and manufacturers don't cater to all our shapes. I can tell you that I have a slightly oval head and my Shoei RF-1000 hurts the very center of my forehead over a long ride, but my HJC RPHA 10 Evoke helmet is super comfortable and fits like it should with zero movement. HJC seems to run true to size and Shoei runs a little large. I have a size L Shoei but I needed an XL HJC RPHA 10.

Pinlock is absolutely the best fog prevention. No amount of coatings will work for any length of time, but the Pinlock lasts almost the life of a helmet.

One of my own requirements for any new helmet is a completely removable liner. Being able to wash it once in a while is key. I'd recently been off my bike and damaged the helmet so when I bought a new RPHA, I took out all the liner and cheek pads from the old one. Now I have a clean set all the time and can just swap it in and wash the pulled set.

I chose the RPHA for the shape, fit, quiet, included Pinlock and removeable liner.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Scorpion Exo 1100... its built for the 3/4 to upright riding position. It is fairly quiet based on reviews and is good priced.
This will be my next helmet, as I am looking for a quiet helmet that has good marks overall. Also I have nothing bad to say about scorpion... Great helmets.

There might still be som Shoei RF-1100 on clearance making room for the RF-1200s. You might get a good deal. It fits me well, has a removable liner and moves a decent amount of air over the top of your head. It's not the lightest helmet out there, nor the quietest, but I usually wear ear plugs with any helmet.

I'm looking at the Arai Signet-Q for my next helmet. It is a long oval and fit my head perfect in L, where the RX-Q needed to be XL and put a bit of pressure on my forehead. I've heard HJC tends to be a more round shape. You will have to try some helmets on to see. The best helmet is the one that fits YOUR head.

Let us know what works for you.

The Shoei GT Air is a nice helmet, I think that will be my next one. But it all comes down to what matches your head. I tried a lot on before I found one that felt comfortable, even the Shoei vary from style to style both in size and comfort, I have two small and one is tight and the other fits perfectly, when I tried on the GT Air, I needed a medium to fit well.

The single most important part of a helmet is a good fit and comfort. Go to a big shop like Skagit Powersports or Smokey Point Cycle Barn near you and try on all the helmets that interest you. Once you have an idea of a good fit, you can start to shop in terms of price and features :)

Since you live in a wet climate like I do, I will definitely suggest a helmet with a Pinlock-compatible visor. Also consider one with a drop down sun shield. I know that HJC, Shoei and also the new Scorpion helmets (EXO-R410 or R2000) support Pinlock visors. It's the best anti-fog solution, bar none.

Good luck with the search.

Last edited:
I used to wear a HJC CL-15 too. In fact, I owned two of them! Nowadays I am wearing a Shoei Qwest, and I like it very much. I think that the Qwest is quieter than the CL-15. It's made for more of an upright riding position. As has been stated, go and try some on, and read the WebBikeWorld reviews.

Definitely add the Qwest to your list of helmets to check out.

I recently bought a Shark Vision R and am loving it. Seeing someone else wearing one - they look a little bit funny with such an wide open shape to be honest they look a little bit like Noodyish lol BUT your field of vision from inside the helmet is incredible. The shop assistant convinced me to go up a size from what I thought and he was wrong because once it broke in I did not have enough cheek padding to stop it pushing back on my face. Bought a new pair of cheek pads and that fixed that and I am really really loving the helmet.

Revzilla has alot of video reviews on their helmets which helped me HEAPS then as someone else suggested I went to a shop with a big range and tried all the different helmets I could. May I suggest staying away from the polymer helmets that are designed to bounce. This is just my opinion but I am not eager to have my head inside a helmet that bounces rather than absorbs the energy by cracking. Once a helmet has a big hit I'm happier to throw it away ;)

Thanks everyone for the info. Sounds like pinlock is essential (at least for where I live in the winter). I'm going to try on as many models as I can, but I'm liking the HJC RPHA 10. HJC helmets tend to fit me well and in my opinion they make a great helmet (Over the years I've battle tested a few HJC dirt helmets on the motocross track and they've done their job very well). Hopefully I will be getting the new helmet in the next week or two. I've been wearing the CL-15 on the street for years, I believe it's time to upgrade :)

That RPHA 10 looks like an excellent helmet! Keep us posted :)

Just a word of note: Pinlock lenses are difficult to clean and easily prone to scratching. Definitely read the manual on how to take care of them. I've gone through two Schuberth C3 shields & Pinlock lenses in 40,000 km with my C3

This video was excellent for me to understand how best to clean Pinlock visors
[video=youtube;eq0SNaSwuE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq0SNaSwuE4[/video]

Have you seen this new HJC model, the RPHA ST?

News and media

Access Denied

It has the pinlock feature (with pinlock anti-fog insert included), the built in flip down sun visor, but is more advanced in construction. Still under $400.

Seems with the cheaper HJC, they are either sun visor equipped or Snell 2010, but not both. At least that's what I'm finding.

The single most important part of a helmet is a good fit and comfort. Go to a big shop like Skagit Powersports or Smokey Point Cycle Barn near you and try on all the helmets that interest you. Once you have an idea of a good fit, you can start to shop in terms of price and features :)

Since you live in a wet climate like I do, I will definitely suggest a helmet with a Pinlock-compatible visor. Also consider one with a drop down sun shield. I know that HJC, Shoei and also the new Scorpion helmets (EXO-R410 or R2000) support Pinlock visors. It's the best anti-fog solution, bar none.

Good luck with the search.

Agree with Dustin, shape can be only evaluated by you. Reviews might help to know a bit about noise ect. but all this depends on you bikes set-up, your height and body position, so you really have to try it yourself best is if you have a exchange policy like cycle gear (so you can only exchange for helmets from them within 7 days).

Try also the Bell helemts (star and RS1) they can be equipped with photovisors (self darkening depending on light level) and their anti-fog is exceptional, I use them in the SF Bay area and never had a fogged up visor and use it since 1.5 years (25k miles). The head shape is oval so it is one of the few brands that fit me.

Seems with the cheaper HJC, they are either sun visor equipped or Snell 2010, but not both. At least that's what I'm finding.

I think unless you need the Snell certification for meeting regulations (such as racing), an ECE certification is just as good. It's what the newest Snell cert is based from, AFAIK

Shoei GT Air Journey. Very quiet, great air flow, sun shield visor is awesome easy to get too and covers entire face to eliminate glare. I also have the UCLEAR HBC200 Force in my helmet. I take conference calls doing 70 on the highway and no one knows I am riding. I believe that addresses the quiet nature of the helmet. Best helmet out of all I have owned in 40 years of riding.

I love my Shark Speed R.

It's super comfy and has an inbuilt sun visor, that's super handy when conditions change and it saves you carrying 2 visors on trips.

Back