Bad vibration

I was looking around for other vibration posts, but ddin't see any like what I'm looking for.

I have an 07 FZ1 , and at around 5000ish rpm I get a bad vibration. It's in the handle bars and in the pegs, basically the whole bike. It's very uncomfortable. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem? It's to the point where its annoying and I don't like to ride it. Above the rpm range it's fine, as well as below its just like 5k to maybe 5500ish. Don't really understand it. I would appreciate any help.

Unfortunately this is an inherent problem with this bike. I have a 2012 that has the same issue. Do a search and you will find many others also have the dreaded 5000 to 5500 vibration/ buzz. I've tried all the usual fixes. Loosened and retorqued the motor mount bolts. Different oil levels and viscosities, etc, etc. Finally bought Grip Puppies and Vibranators and most of the vibes to the bars are gone. I even tried to fill the bars with buck shot..... No good.

I don't believe it's a fueling issue as I have tried many different maps and the vibes never changed. It may be an ignition timing issue, but I really don't know. One possible fix may be to get Ivan's flash. Many have stated this smooths the bike out a lot. I don't have the flash so I can't comment on wether it will help or not.

ok thanks for the reply, I had a pc3 on the bike with a bad tune, I think. It seemed like the vibration was a little earlier in the rpm like 4500. Now that i took the pc off its where it stated. Kinda sucks yamaha doesn't fix it but oh well.

Don't be too hard on Yamaha on this. Inline 4's tend to be vibey in some rpm's. There are plenty of other problems with this bike that Yamaha should address first but don't.

Had a friend who had Z8`s on a FJR, put new tyres on about the same time as a vibration began. he took it to 2 different motorcycle workshops they checked out everything including balancing both tyres, they both didn't find anything wrong. From the start I told him I believed there was something wrong with the new tyres. So as a last resort he swapped out the tyres, problem solved, may be worth a try. He had the same symptoms as you, vibes in pegs ,handlebars etc. I have a 2008 FZ1 and don`t have the vibes you talk about . You may not have the Z8`s, but be good if you could swap wheels with someone to see if this is your problem, best of luck

Last edited:
My vibes and I think the op's are rpm related. If it were tires I believe it would be speed related. It happens from 5k to 5.5k, in any gear. Pull in the clutch and vibes go away. Consider yourself lucky. I believe Yamaha changed some things in the ecu over the years to try and solve the throttle snatch and in the process they developed the vibes I described. It seems to be a problem on later bikes and not the older ones. Oh well. At least I don't have throttle snatch.

Hi
I have an 07. Never noticed a vibration as bad as your experiencing. I think I noticed a slight vibration once or twice. Of course I had the bad vent vibration in the same rpm range. But I fixed that by shoving pieces of electrical tape between it and the fairing.
Haven't been on this forum in a while. Good to be back.

The Fz's all have the 5000ish vibration. At least every one I've ridden. Including her '11 FZ8 I think its just related to to engine design and driveline design. It's worse with an aftermarket sprocket.

I still would not discount it, he thought the same, had it in all gears, I know it does not seem to make sense? everyone who rode it said it wasn't the tyres, saying it could be loose engine mounts ,gearbox, etc.

mines just like what you said kpd, every gear at certian rpm, if it were tires you would almost have to have a speed like you were saying, or you would feel it all the time.

I wish it were that simple. The fact that I can pull in the clutch and the vibes go away rules out any tire vibration. It's not much of a problem any more. The grip puppies and vibranator took care of most of it. I am of the mindset, ride more worry less. I am done chasing ghosts on this bike. As a result, I truly enjoy every ride.

My mates vibes went away with clutch in also, and he though it was rpms related,I know it does not seem to make any sense. even the dealers said no way was it the tyres. Took 2 months and over $500 cost in looking, to convince my mate to give different tyres a go. It may not be your problem, but he had the exact same vibes as your describing . If you have used different tyres and always had the vibes well I guess it`s something else?

Last edited:
ill keep it in mind, I just bought the bike this year with the tires that are on it, they are newer, I don't know what kind off hand. I will look when im by the bike again.

I don't have this problem, and I'm wondering why if all FZ1s are supposed to have it? Did your bikes develop this over time, or was it there from new?

Back