Clicking

auzzy7

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I have clicking that seems to resonate from around the front sprocket. I haven't had a chance to pull the bike apart to see what malfunction there might be. As for the clicking, it's produced with the clutch engaged and released. It seems constant with a single spot in the chain rotation. The chain isn't loose. Without taking a look yet, I think there might be a chink in the chain or on the front sprocket. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this same issue already and if so, what how did you fix it. Thank-you!

First off, Welcome and congrats on the GenI. :cheers: Glad you made it here to the board.

I'd start out asking the normal questions. How many miles on your chain and sprockets? Do the rear sprocket teeth look "pointed" or worn down? I'd pull the front sprocket cover and make sure that your nut is secure and lock washer in it's place. If all that checks out, put the bike on the centerstand and spin the front wheel so that the chain moves along in 6 to 8 inch sections. Stop at each interval and check the tension. You'll find one section that is tighter than all the rest. This is where you'll gauge your adjustment for slack. If your sprockets look good and your front is secure, then adjust your chain again on the tightest section and try it out. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply! It turns out that the chain had a little more wiggle room than I thought. The sprockets look pretty dull also and I am uncertain of the miles on the chain and sprockets, so for good measure I will purchase a new set. Again thanks for the help man!

Thank you for the reply! It turns out that the chain had a little more wiggle room than I thought. The sprockets look pretty dull also and I am uncertain of the miles on the chain and sprockets, so for good measure I will purchase a new set. Again thanks for the help man!

Just remember that it's good practice to change both sprockets and the chain together as a set. You'll be better off spending the money now and get hundreds of miles of service, rather than only changing sprockets and use an old chain. It will make the new stuff wear prematurely.

Back