touring set up

What type of mods are you using for touring? I'm looking to be more comfortable for the long rides. Any suggestions for better protecting wind screens? Seats that don't nut hug the tank? My wife would love a back rest! Is there a better riser adjustment for touring without messing with the handling? Please help us out; I'm open to all sugestions that keep me on the fazer longer! Thanks!

I have an 03, I removed the seat cover and dished out the riders seat, and added some foam to the front area, made it much more comfortable. If your looking for a passenger back rest than you should be looking for a corbin seat/backrest.

I added a taller screen, it helped a lot, hand guards are very nice, heated grips, and FZ1 Gen2 bar risers.

The lower fairings are sorta nice for when it gets cold and damp, I'm not keeping them on only because I consider them ugly..

I have some Buell foot pegs that will lower the pegs about an inch.

Its a givi bags-rack set-up, I also have a givi trunk that goes on the rack. Very nice gear.

IMG-20110907-00080.jpg

an 08... the givi case doesn't make it look too nice but they dub as a backrest/storage. Not sure what you can do about windscreens thats more per rider and what they want
Im 5'6" and im leaning forward just slightly, you might try tall screens or bar mount screens before you do the risers. just my thoughts

DSC02586.jpg

DSC03246.jpg

DSC03247.jpg

Last edited:
yes all my electric gizmos are on the bars, i just can't bring myself to drill into the panels. The voltmeter is wired in with the 12v socket. the socket is wired before the headlight relay, yes i know if it blows a fuse im without headlights but with a gps and meter im only pulling 300ma i think ill be ok

Last edited:
I ran an all weather USB port to my bars. I do not have a single gizmo that uses cigarette lighter for charging. All mine use USB. I also did not want to drill in to my panels.

I have a ZG Touring windscreen that worked really well for long trips. Went from turbulent air hitting my chest to clean air hitting my face.

I don't do two up except for 30 minute rides that do not require a touring setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, if you dont mind, which hand guards are you using??

I'm trading up from a KLR650 to the FZ1. Love the KLR handguards, cant live without them!!!

Thank you

I have an 03, I removed the seat cover and dished out the riders seat, and added some foam to the front area, made it much more comfortable. If your looking for a passenger back rest than you should be looking for a corbin seat/backrest.

I added a taller screen, it helped a lot, hand guards are very nice, heated grips, and FZ1 Gen2 bar risers.

The lower fairings are sorta nice for when it gets cold and damp, I'm not keeping them on only because I consider them ugly..

I have some Buell foot pegs that will lower the pegs about an inch.

Its a givi bags-rack set-up, I also have a givi trunk that goes on the rack. Very nice gear.

IMG-20110907-00080.jpg

Long distance driving is all about packing smart and seating.
My longest drive was the Arkansas Gather last year. 1300 miles one way! :D After that I started looking for a new seat.
I bought this Russell Seat and it's really comfortable. Makes it look a little like an FJR but that's not too bad in my opinion.
20120608_154630.jpg

You can tour on anything... everyone has their tolerance for pain/has their weak spots

Get some decent luggage... a gps... a way to charge your electronic gizmos...

then go, see what bothers you and work from there... no matter what, you have to stop for gas, so make sure you are comfortable for those distances, then take a 10-15 minute gas/walking/re-hydration break.

can't really speak on FZ1 comforts yet...

You can tour on anything... everyone has their tolerance for pain/has their weak spots

Exactly. My FZ1 was bone stock save for fork & shock springs. I ran Givi racks and that's all I needed to tour in comfort.

It was definitely one of the most comfortable distance bikes I've ridden. The stock seat & bar position was perfect for me and I had no comfort complaints at all

Here's my Iron Butt Bun-Burner 1500 machine! It's a 09 FZ6R with all the widget needed for long distance traveling. I redid the seats, got some luggage (build my own rack) handlebar are Renthal 787 and also build my own windscreen. I can and did ride that bike all day lond 80-90 MPH without too much pain. My butt got a little sore at some point but nothing unmanageable. I did 3800 miles in 6 days, but I drove straight from Laconia to West Palm Beach on the way back. 1538 miles in 23:38 hrs! I was beat up at the end... but even driving a cage for so long I would have been just as tired!

You just need to go out there and test things out. Now you know you need a screen and bar riser. I would try different handlebar if I was you...

My first big ride was with the bike bone stock, with the exception of a Cee Bailey windscreen. The ride was 3000 mile/8 day ride....and after that I made some MAJOR changes:

1) Ohlin shock--@ 6'1"/205 + soft bags/camping gear/etc., the stock shock left me 1" of travel.
2) Russell Day Long saddle--my ass HURT after 3 days of 400+ days! This seat cures all that and makes long rides a pleasure.
3) Tour Tech 'lip'--I added this to the top of the windscreen due to weather changes. In cold weather, the 'lip' is up, giving me more wind protection. When its hot, I rotate it down, thereby getting more air/cooling on me. It works pretty well.
4) Givi V35's--soft bags are a PIA when on the road for days. 'nuff said.
5) Renthal bars--due to a wrist injury, I put on bars which are 1.5" higher, which help. Its more comfortable then stock, but I had to change the brake lines.
6) I added some 'bling' for looks, which does nothing for the rideablility.

And I'm taking off for 'Seca round of MGP this month, then my 8-10 road trip into N/E Oregon, Idaho and possibly Yellowstone.

LOL
Thanks girl!. ;-) It is really comfortable. My longest trip with this seat is about an 8 hr round trip. Not too bad on stock seating but I could really tell I had a more comfortable seat. So all and all im glad I picked it up.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Forgot to mention one more thing.....I had a flat tire on my long trip and really got lucky that it happened at a truck stop. Now I always carry a plug kit for flat tires so I don't get stranded. For my next long trip I will have a power inverter that will let me air up my tires and allow me to jump my batterie. I have been stranded by both and been very lucky both times.....don't rely on luck.....one day it will run out. Be prepared. Good luck on your future trips!

Forgot to mention one more thing.....I had a flat tire on my long trip and really got lucky that it happened at a truck stop. Now I always carry a plug kit for flat tires so I don't get stranded. For my next long trip I will have a power inverter that will let me air up my tires and allow me to jump my batterie. I have been stranded by both and been very lucky both times.....don't rely on luck.....one day it will run out. Be prepared. Good luck on your future trips!

Good advice. A plug kit is something that should be in everyones tank bag or luggage but I'll bet no more than 10-15% of riders have one on board at all times. Nothing is more disconcerting than coming out of a restaurant on a Sunday afternoon and to be confronted with a flat rear tire courtesy of an errant nail in the tread. Now what? Bike shops are closed and you have nothing to get you back on the road. You can try to find a Walmart so you can buy a can of Fix-a-flat which may or may not work, or you can call for a tow service who will take your bike to the closed bike shop which opens on Tuesday morning. If you carry a plug kit and a half dozen or so CO2 cartridges you can be plugged and aired up in about 15 minutes, and you can continue on your way. It's something that every biker should be prepared for. Oh, and aren't you glad you didn't take that center stand off? Inflating a rear tire while the weight is off it makes it a lot easier. And aren't you also happy that you installed the 90 deg valve stems which makes using the inflator a snap? http://www.998cc.org/forum/vendors-group-purchases/10573-90-degree-angled-aluminum-valve-stems.html.

Here is good place to start for the inflator, top quality stuff: Motorcycle Tire Repair | ATV Tire Repair | Motorcycle Tire Plug | ATV Tire Plug

A flat battery is a bit easier to handle, you can either bump start the bike or many cage/truck drivers will offer to do a quick jump (just make sure their engine is turned off).

But we should be prepared for these things as they will eventually catch all of us. As stated, your luck will eventually run out. Repent now and be a good Scout, Be Prepared!

Last edited:
Back