ZX6R Mirror Mod

johnnyontherocks

The Cosmic Avenger
Since the install of the Magical screen I could not help but think how the stock mirrors looked like bug antenna. I have a set of JDA mirror block off plates and had sold myself on the thought of converting to bar end mirrors. I'm really not a big fan of them but what else could I do. As I installed the first of the block off plates I looked over at my ZX6R and thought wow the mirrors on that bike really do look great for stock mirrors and then the brain began turning. I think you know were I'm headed with this. So tell me what you think. Good enough or should I start hunting down a set of reverse retro bar ends. If you do like them they sell for around 25.00 for the set on ebay and bolt right up.
IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

Stock
IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

Last edited:
Do they offer better visibility than the stock FZ1 mirrors? They don't look bad, but I don't like the area they leave uncovered on the fairing. I wonder if you can use the block off plate as a filler and drill a hole through them to mount the ZXR6 ones.

I dont think you are going to beat the stock mirrors for visibility but these are still pretty good. Even the block off plates made for the FZ dont fill up that hole. The only way to fill it is to get the Copperdawg screen with the mirror delete. There is no way of drilling through them and mounting the mirror on them and not have it look sloppy. You really dont notice it much unless you look right at it.

I dont think you are going to beat the stock mirrors for visibility but these are still pretty good. Even the block off plates made for the FZ dont fill up that hole. The only way to fill it is to get the Copperdawg screen with the mirror delete. There is no way of drilling through them and mounting the mirror on them and not have it look sloppy. You really dont notice it much unless you look right at it.

Yea, I guess the gap is probably not that noticeable on a dark bike such a s yours. For me the stock mirrors aren't that great as far as visibility goes so I wouldn't want to make it any worse.

A while back I had seen an FZ1 with CBR1000RR mirrors that had the integrated turn signals in them. It looked good, but I don't know what was involved in making them fit...

I think they look a bit better than stock but probably not good for stoutly guys like me. I have a bad enough time with the stockers although that will all change come Springtime. There's a "new me" coming soon! I'd leave them like that. I'm curious about the effect from the wind using those??

Both looks and airflow are improved and very little vibration. Down side, I have to tuck my elbows in to get a good look but have a clear and large view when I do. I dont think bar ends would be as good.

All is vanity....

Diggin' the look and I'm in for a little elbow wiggle to see what's behind me. And you were spot-on the eBay price. It might be worth a try....

ZX6R Mirror Mod... You Decide

Pulled the trigger. Technically, half a trigger so other folks can make an educated decision with a side-by-side comparison. See pictures. The left mirror (sitting on bike) is ZX6R. The right is OEM.

PRO:
Much more snarky - Sportbike like looks
Much tighter & lower - Makes lane sharing (where legal) easier
Straight bolt on option - FZ1 spacers and nuts fit directly to ZX6R parts

CON:
A lot less visibility compared to stock mirrors - You'd better like your arms because you're going to see a lot of 'em....
Unfinished look around base

VERDICT:
I think I'll keep 'em. The widest parts of the bike are the mirrors. This mod brings them in to the bar-ends. I've ridden sport bikes for years and am familiar with the "elbow shuffle" to see aft. And I dig the look. Form outweighs function in this case.

Thanks for the side by side comparison. They do look better that the stock mirrors. However, I wouldn't want to give up any more rear visibility. I already have to pull in my elbows to look back...

Back