Opinions Please

Today's an OK day since I'm thinking about motorcycles. I love my C14 and between the 2009 and now the 2010 I have just about 10,000 miles on C14's (4500 miles on th '09 and 5300 miles on the '10). But I'd be lying if I said I don't miss the FZ1.

The C14 is great for all day rides and the little '09 KLX250SF that I bought as my short distance bike is just a little too small, and cabureted, which I hate. Soooo, I'm thinking of taking a big hit and selling it back to the dealership for which they'll probably give me $2500-$2800 and I paid $4100 for it) and buying a 2007 FZ1 with 7500 miles on it from a really nice guy I just spoke to from Craigslist. He's asking $4500 which I think is a fair price.

What do you all think?

Any chance you could get more for your bike if you sold it on Craigslist?
Not that it matters that much......good luck with the pending purchase & looking forward to pics when it's all said & done :)

Any chance you could get more for your bike if you sold it on Craigslist?
Not that it matters that much......good luck with the pending purchase & looking forward to pics when it's all said & done :)

There's a chance but one of my pastimes is checking craigslist for bikes and none of them have been moving too fast.

Have you thought about a Used Suzuki DRZ 400 either in dual porpose or supermoto forms. I seem tham at local dealerships a lot and both configurations are a lot of fun. You may get a litlle more for the Kawi as a trade in. IMO bringing the FZ in is like having a smaller C14. Why not trade it in on a new FZ put higher bars on it and get some bags

Since you asked...

I think you could get a little more for your 09 on CL. If it were the dual-sport instead of the SM I might have taken her for the same reasons you bought it. Someting small to play with around town and hit the trails, but I'm not into SM. You might have to wait until Spring though, so if you want to give it to the dealer, I don't think they're stealing it from you. Nobody wants to pay for anything these days, and at least you would be able to move on and have what you want.

I'd say the price on the 2007 FZ1 is good, too. Personally, I'd sell mine (also an 07) with the Retro Kit and only 2,500 miles for a little more, so I think the deal on the 07 for $4,500 is fair. Have you looked at the 07? Is it clean and unmolested? Does he have any receipts for maintenance? I'm always careful with a used bike.

I think if you miss the bike and want to get back to something for around town that you'll be happier on, go for it! Any reason you wouldn't want to cut down the middle and maybe pick up an FZ6? That way, you'd have far more power than the 250 but not quite the poor fuel economy and higher insurance of the FZ1? Just a thought since there are so many 600s out there and can be bought fairly inexpensively. It might be a nice short-distance play bike to have.

Keep us posted on what you decide. Hope this was helpful in some way.

Since you asked...

I think you could get a little more for your 09 on CL. If it were the dual-sport instead of the SM I might have taken her for the same reasons you bought it. Someting small to play with around town and hit the trails, but I'm not into SM. You might have to wait until Spring though, so if you want to give it to the dealer, I don't think they're stealing it from you. Nobody wants to pay for anything these days, and at least you would be able to move on and have what you want.

I'd say the price on the 2007 FZ1 is good, too. Personally, I'd sell mine (also an 07) with the Retro Kit and only 2,500 miles for a little more, so I think the deal on the 07 for $4,500 is fair. Have you looked at the 07? Is it clean and unmolested? Does he have any receipts for maintenance? I'm always careful with a used bike.

I think if you miss the bike and want to get back to something for around town that you'll be happier on, go for it! Any reason you wouldn't want to cut down the middle and maybe pick up an FZ6? That way, you'd have far more power than the 250 but not quite the poor fuel economy and higher insurance of the FZ1? Just a thought since there are so many 600s out there and can be bought fairly inexpensively. It might be a nice short-distance play bike to have.

Keep us posted on what you decide. Hope this was helpful in some way.

Ah, that's excellent. Thank you. I didn't even consider the insurance part. The FZ1 cost me about the same as the Connie. The same dealer has been trying to entice me with a 2009 leftover Ninja 650R. He has it priced at $5500 but when I asked what it would cost with my trade-in he said the KLX plus $3300. So then I started figuring I would be comparing it to the FZ1 and be unhappy with the power. That insurance thing is important. The FZ1 is more than twice the little 250. Hmmm, both you and Johnny make a good point. So what do you people think of the 2009 Ninja 650R? Maybe an FZ6 is better? Too much to think about...I like it.

Get the FZ1 Norm. You already went down the 600 cc road and found it left you wanting until you got the FZ1. Since you won't have a payment, well, the insurance difference isn't such a big deal. ;)

I checked NADA and the 2007 FZ1 is a low of $4350 and an average retail of $5,725. Thus, if it is in really good condition, $4,500 is quite a steal. What other information do you have about the bike? Mods that have been done? Service records? Does it need tires? Any known issues? While 7500 miles isn't a lot, it could be 7500 VERY HARD miles and a neglected bike. Or, it could be 7500 moderate miles and a great service record.

I really don't think you're going to be happy with a bike that isn't an FZ1 Norm. Maybe I'm biased but I'm also basing this on knowing you well enough, speaking with you many times and knowing you've tried so many different bikes but ALWAYS come back and comment on the FZ1. I'd go for it! :tup:

Get the FZ1 Norm. You already went down the 600 cc road and found it left you wanting until you got the FZ1. Since you won't have a payment, well, the insurance difference isn't such a big deal. ;)

I checked NADA and the 2007 FZ1 is a low of $4350 and an average retail of $5,725. Thus, if it is in really good condition, $4,500 is quite a steal. What other information do you have about the bike? Mods that have been done? Service records? Does it need tires? Any known issues? While 7500 miles isn't a lot, it could be 7500 VERY HARD miles and a neglected bike. Or, it could be 7500 moderate miles and a great service record.

I really don't think you're going to be happy with a bike that isn't an FZ1 Norm. Maybe I'm biased but I'm also basing this on knowing you well enough, speaking with you many times and knowing you've tried so many different bikes but ALWAYS come back and comment on the FZ1. I'd go for it! :tup:

Yea, I think you're right Eric. I spoke with the guy (you can look it up on craigslist in NH) and he's 56 years old and hasn't wailed on it, did all the service, has a new rear tire on it, and says it's in A1 perfect condition. I really loved the FZ1!

Oh jeez! And it's even the fastest of fast blue ones! Norm, go offer him $4200 cash! See what he comes back with for a counter offer. That bike looks great. :tup: If you want me to drive you over to get it with the trailer since your heated gear likely will not plug right in, let me know! I'd be more than happy to spend the day with you doing a small road trip!!!

Why not pick up a DRZ400SM for putting around town? It's so much better than the KLX250SF it's painful. A 400 single makes a ton of torque and is fantastic for around town; I had one for a while and loved it but had to sell my two bikes and just get one for the time being.

If you don't like carbs, try the WR250X. It's still just a 250, but it's miles better than the KLX and also fuel injected. I test rode one and it's about as fast up to 100km/h as the DRZ because of the fancy motor. It's also a lot lighter and has great suspension.

Either of these bikes can be had on the used market for under $3000 in the USA.

Just a thought. Seems like a waste of money to have a C14 & an FZ1. As far as I'm concerned, the DRZ400SM is a near-perfect city bike and you can do a lot of hilarious stuff on it

Wow, my head's spinning. Dustin, you're right: in many ways the C14 and the FZ1 are similar. They both make tons of power and they make it very similarly all the way up to way past the speed limit. Eric can give you his viewpoint because he rode my C14 for a while. The big difference though is the weight. I find the C14 like a sporty Cadillac while the FZ1 is like a Porsche (I haven't owned either but I've driven both).

I guess what I mostly want is to offset the bulk of the C14 with a light speedster. The KLX was a little too light and way too anemic. I was in such grief a few weeks back I just walked into a dealer and bought it (remembering how I always used to debate buying a second bike and never getting it because I was afraid I'd get grief from the wife and my son would always say "Dad, you earned the money, you've given us all everything we want or need so just buy it." So it was like he was there in my head saying "get it.")

But now that things are a little more clear I'm thinking FZ6, FZ1, etc. The saga continues. Thanks for your opinions. I do think I'm going to take a ride over and look at it though and if I do I'll pick Eric up on the way.

I'm ready Norm!

I don't know if you saw but in the CBR 250R thread, I have the go-ahead to buy one provided I sell the scooter first. :D Small commuter and a bike my daughter can come out with us on weekends with. :tup:

Norm, you're right; it's not always about what's the most logical idea and it sounds like you really love the FZ1. I think your heart is set on the FZ1, you should go for it!

Thanks again everyone! We'll see what happens. Eric, I missed that thread but you'll probably love that CBR250. I can't wait to see one in the flesh.

Norm, you're right; it's not always about what's the most logical idea and it sounds like you really love the FZ1. I think your heart is set on the FZ1, you should go for it!

I've been lucky enough to try a lot of bikes and the FZ1 IMO is just one fantastic bike. It's just a great all around bike that somehow really fit me well. The hard part was that a lot of my friends like 8-12 hr all day rides and at my age (53) the Connie is easier on my body for that length of time. Most of them are around my age and already had bigger tourers so I guess it was in the cards for me getting a bigger bike. But a lot of times passionate bikers trade away a bike they didn't realize how much they love till its gone. But this still isn't imminent because the dealer hasn't called me back yet with a price for the KLX and if it's really crap I may wait and try to sell it on CL first. Unless I can scrounge up the money in the meantime, hmmmmm.

But a lot of times passionate bikers trade away a bike they didn't realize how much they love till its gone.

You're tellin' me. I've sold a bunch of bikes that I wished I'd kept. The thing about bikes is, there's so many different types & styles out there that you just have to try 'em all.

I'm already itchin' to sell the FZ1 (as great as it is) and try something else. :eek:

If only I could have 6 or 7 at once...

Back