Possibly buying a 2014 FZ1. Is it worth it?

Hi everyone, I'm possibly trading in my Harley for a 2014 fz1. Before I decided to buy it I wanted to see if anyone could tell me if this bike is as amazing as I've heard it is. I want something that can react and feels comfortable on the highway but can also be a great vehicle to ride long distances on (typically no longer than 4 hours). Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thank you!

THe difference between a HD and FZ1 is night and day. You'll experience good handling and acceleration. Also repairs and parts are priced reasonably. I recently rented a Street Glide in Los Angeles and made the mistake of taking it on Mulholand Hwy. Gawd was it a pig and I have never scraped the ground so much and still there were cars backing up behind. Also I never was comfortable with my feet sticking way out in front and it hurt my tailbone riding from LA to Palm Springs. I was so happy returning it and renting a Mustang convertible for the rest of my stay.:)

As far as being comfortable on long rides, it is very subjective. I can ride my stock seat all day without any butt problems but my knees will hurt, I installed rearsets to change where my legs are and that was a great improvement (I'm 5'9" with a 30 inseam). Lots of FZ1 owners change the seat out for an aftermarket thickly padded seat. Most FZ1 owners put on a slip-on first and get an ECU flash. I'm the opposite and improved the suspension first then had the ECU flashed while retaining the stock exhaust and fuel map. The results are excellent.

The FZ1 is a good bike that allows you to have fun in the twisties and is still a good cross country ride.

I'd say it's worth it. The FZ-1 is a good bike, not a great bike, but it will do everything good. There's options for modding almost everything on it for what you want out of it.

Other recommendations?

What other bikes can I get for roughly 6-7k that will be better than the fz1? (Not in a mean way lol)
I like the seating style compared to a proper street bike and it has the ability to have a decent amount of storage for longer rides.

Affordable

I've never driven a bike like this but I do enjoy the short cruises with my Harley. I figured since I can get somewhat close to a high quality sport bike for only 6k that this would be a good time to try it out as I cannot afford a proper cruiser that is typically 12k and up in the cruiser world.

If you every get the chance to ride the new HD fatbob I think it's a nice ride for the everyday cruiser.

Thanks for your input:)

I wouldn’t pay over 5k for any Fz1.

As they have no resale value. You can pick up a 2013ish low mileage Fz1 for 4K if your patient.

One just sold on the fb group for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What other bikes can I get for roughly 6-7k that will be better than the fz1? (Not in a mean way lol)
I like the seating style compared to a proper street bike and it has the ability to have a decent amount of storage for longer rides.

better is relative. for what it sounds like you want, it's a good bike.

Back