New Member - '13 Fz1, any advise?

Greetings everyone! My name is Tyler and I am a 22 yr old engineering student.

I just put a deposit down on a 2013 Fz1 with 6k miles on it, and I am looking for a little advice/suggestions/confirmation.

I have a long background on 2 wheels (crf250r, yz250, gsxr600, sportster 1200) but have never ridden a liter bike. I love my sportster, but it just blew a headgasket and im not looking to tear it apart at the moment. I've been toying with the idea of getting something a little more comfortable for highway commuting, and I just found this 13 fz1 for $6k from a local dealer.

I'm a little nervous of the fact that it's a 1000cc, because I thought my 600 was fast as ****. From what I've read, this bike is tuned less aggressively and power limited in gears 1-3, and i like the sound of that. This bike just seems appealing to me for the nice upright riding position and highway capability, and its affordable.

Can someone with Harley(or other generally slow/torquey bike) experience confirm that this bike won't be trying to lift the front tire all the time?

I'm going to be perusing the forums to check for common maintenance items to take care of, and potential mods (already has exhaust), but if anyone has any great threads on hand, please direct me.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Get your ECU flashed. I recommend 2 Wheel DynoWorks but others will mention VCyclenut and Ivans Performance.

Modifications don't matter, it's not a superbike, whatever you end up doing is for funsies as it's not a performance bike. Just enjoy it. And no, it won't be constantly lifting the front wheel. Torque is awesome, and it'll quickly become your friend.

Get your ECU flashed. I recommend 2 Wheel DynoWorks but others will mention VCyclenut and Ivans Performance.

Modifications don't matter, it's not a superbike, whatever you end up doing is for funsies as it's not a performance bike. Just enjoy it. And no, it won't be constantly lifting the front wheel. Torque is awesome, and it'll quickly become your friend.

I completely agree with jared p. If you want a superbike buy one but you will spend a fortune to make a FZ1 into one and it still will not be a superbike. I have a 2012 I bought in 2013 and it has 34,000 miles on it now. The only engine mod is a Vcyclenut flash that removed the first three gear restrictions, removed the FCE, lowered the fan temp actuation and raised the rpm cut to 12K.

I spent more on handling because in stock form the bike is faster than I'll ever need but it still needs to be planted on the road so get a decent fork tune up, replace the rear shock and get really good tires. That will unleash the beast.

The rest of the mods I put on are more for comfort and safety; rear sets, throttle lock, loud horn, sliders, ZG touring screen and LED lights all around. Also I have 4 RAM ball mounts on the bar for GPS, CB, Sena SR10, phone holder.

I would not be concerned if i were you, I think you have to be trying to lift the front and I don't think it's something you will accidentally do unless you loaded up some 60 pounds in a luggage rack :)

Back