Looking at a FZ1 this weekend

Hey FZ1 owners,

I have been eye balling FZ1s (and the VFR1200...) as my next bike for ~5 years, but haven't found one at the right price when I had cash in hand. I saw this one pop up on Craigslist, and am going to look at it this weekend:
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/d/san-diego-2012-yamaha-fz1-cheap/6779308017.html

I don't like the storm trooper paint scheme but consider that pretty minor. I'd be using the bike solely for commuting around 5,000 miles a year. I currently ride a 2001 Katana 750, (I love this bike but it's getting long in the tooth at 17 years old with 35k miles), so this FZ1 would be a big upgrade for me. I nearly bought a VFR1200 a few months ago but got some great advice in the VFR forums that changed my mind about it so I figured it would be good practice to ask this community for advice.

Any tips of things to look for on this bike?

Looks like it needs tires, and might have been kept outside...

Thanks!
SD Guero

Last edited:
The FZ1 is a great bike. This guy mentioned the battery not charging and it is more than likely a magneto that puked it's magnets like the rest of ours did due to bad quality manufacturing. I just replaced mine with the updated version which is sealed and it cost around $370.00 after tax not installed. I wouldn't buy a bike that's been dropped bad enough to have to replace all the fairings which is usually a slide not a drop. The gauge will sometimes stop reading the mph but rpm and everything else work. This is either corroded connection in a wire terminal that a little cleaning up can solve or a bad speed sensor. Mine ended up being both....of course. Speed sensor is not expensive or hard to replace. I love my FZ1 that I just bought about 5 months ago. I replaced the plugs right away because 2nd owner said he hadn't changed them and that fixed my low end stutter, I then did a few easy mods myself to help it out a little and sent the ECM to get reflashed to wake it up nicely on the low to mid range. I then jumped into the charging problem which was the magneto and then cleaned the corroded connectors by soaking them in Dr. Pepper overnight and then replacing the speed sensor. I have handlebar riser clamps and a Pro Taper Fat bar so it has a more upright ride because I go on long rides. It gets about 40mpg as mine sits. I bought my 08 for $3,700 with all factory maintenance kept up , new oil change, new front tire, higher windscreen, front and back turn signals removed and integrated into the front and rear fairing so it looks clean and sleek, LED rear brake light/turn signal, 2 Brothers slip on, anodized adjustable clutch and brake levers ( I love these because I can bring the levers closer to the grips due to my short fingers.) blue anodized stainless steel front brake lines, Pro Taper bars and riser clamps.

I did spark plugs, new magneto and speed sensor. About $420 in repair parts
Vcyclenut flashed my ECU for $200
I also put pod lights where my old front turn signals used to be and they look awesome and give me side lights.

It has 35k on the clock and runs like it'll go 50k more

Last edited:
Back