03 FZ1 coolant leak

03fz

Hey guys,

My friend's bike (an 03 FZ1) was smoking the other day and we could see coolant dripping from the bottom of the engine casing onto the top of the exhaust where the headers merge. The leak appeared to be emanating from the bottom of the engine case. After taking the exhaust off, I found a port on the bottom of the case where the coolant seemed to be coming from. I cleaned it off to see if I could reveal a bolt head, but in doing so, I realized that there's just an open hole there. I can stick a small diameter metal rod up into the hole for a few inches before it hits something. Is there supposed to be a bolt in this hole, and what is this hole for? I looked at a bunch of parts diagrams but none of them mentioned what that hole was for.
I posted a few pics, hopefully those help to better identify the location.
20180818_161813.jpg
output.jpgInked20180818_161908_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Mine just started doing this..... bummer. Of course I made it to nearly 115k miles before it started leaking. FUnny thing is the leak is very very slow. It puddles a little bit when I am warming it up in the morning, but I ride it 36 miles and the overflow tank is still full and the radiator is topped off.

Checked with my local shop, they Quoted $660 for a seals change, plus more if the impeller needs to be replaced as well.
I forgot to update this. The impeller was bad and needed to be replaced, I think my total was just under $800 with the Impeller being $60 and I needed a lower Mounting Bracket for the radiator.

Bike has been running good since the work was done, due to heavy rains I have only been riding 2-3 days a week for my commute.

Back