New to forum, new to my FZ1 and a little disappointed.....

Hi guys, I've been in the motorcycle industry since I was 4yrs old as my grandfather owned motorcycle dealerships in southern Michigan. I've always been on 2 wheels. I was riding a Suzuki Jr 50 before a bicycle. I've raced motocross for 20 years and now just a weekend warrior.
I never bought a street bike because every time I got on one I rode it like I was on a dirt bike. I'm now 44 and wanted to ride with my dad before he can't ride anymore. Being a motocross guy I wanted something more familiar as far as riding position. So I bought an 08 FZ1, it's got a Two Brothers slip on and a K&N filter. I just put in new plugs and tested the coils and that cleared up the hesitation and gruffness from 1k - 2k rpm. So I take her out for a spin now remember I haven't ridden a street bike for probably 23 years. I let her warm up as I'm cruising at 35. Once temp got to 185 I opened her up to see what she had and I have to say I was sorely let down. I did it again but started in 2nd and went through all the gears but she's a fat pig. I have to hold in harder to my motocross bike than this thing. I know, I can do all kinds of free mods but as far as getting a baseline this thing is a turd. I guess I'll drop to a 16t sprocket, and test, Lars airbox mod and test, plug the AIS and test. Once this is done I'll send the ecu to Vcyclenut to get it reflashed. Anything other ideas? Its sad that all this has to be done to wake this thing up.

Last edited:
The ECU has restrictions on the first few gears, and the stock fueling isn't that good. Get it flashed and tuned and it is a whole new bike.

The stock suspension isn't that good either, most will upgrade that too.

Going larger on the rear sprocket is better in the long run if you can afford to go that way instead of down 1 on the front.

There is a lot that can be done to this bike, as like all road bikes, it is sold as a base platform that is a compromise between cost, performance and comfort.

The ECU has restrictions on the first few gears, and the stock fueling isn't that good. Get it flashed and tuned and it is a whole new bike.

The stock suspension isn't that good either, most will upgrade that too.

Going larger on the rear sprocket is better in the long run if you can afford to go that way instead of down 1 on the front.

There is a lot that can be done to this bike, as like all road bikes, it is sold as a base platform that is a compromise between cost, performance and comfort.

Dicko is spot on with his comments...gearing change helps alot...i went with the 16 front...these arent super high HP bikes but mine dynoed at 150 RWHP after the ECU Flash and tune with full Graves exhaust.

and what kind of dirtbike are you used to riding? cr500? maico700?

i guess if you're that much of a powermonger, you could supercharge it.
to be honest, in factory form, the fazer is lacking in several different aspects. before i bought mine, i knew i would likely be upgrading/modding a few things. now, a few years later, there's barely anything that i haven't modded on mine, and i absolutely love it now. but be warned, it's a slippery slope.

ps: what color did you get? that may need to be your first mod...

I bought a dark Smokey gray with gold rims and black engine. It's got a more comfy seat, slightly taller Pro Tapers, stainless front brake lines. He integrated the turn signals into the front headlight fairing so now I want to put some flush mounts on. The rear no longer has the hideous license plate/turn signal bracket and the blinker/brake lights are now LED's in the tail. The levers are adjustable which is awesome because I have short fingers, new tires, extra new spare tire, extra handlebars. I bought it for $3,800 but it does have 31k miles. Mileage on street bikes don't scare me as long as it was being properly maintained. I've ridden every size dirt bike made from the late 70's to 2018 . My race bike is a YZ 250 2 stroke and I have a yzf 426 that I let others ride. Yeah, I thought it was sad that my race bikes make me hold on tighter than my new FZ1. We still have an old 1980 Suzuki GS 1100L from our dealership days and straight line power it would eat this FZ for lunch.

Well yeah the power to weight ratio on them is much better. You bought a tame sport touring fz1 not a r1.

So in order to wake it up. Flash the ecu, Lars airbox mod, and -1 gearing and it will pick the front end up 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fear by just rolling on the throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back