Bright bulbs

Can anyone recommend a super bright headlight bulb (H4)
Are led bulbs any good?
Thanks
For drop in halogen replacements, you can't get much better than Philips Xtreme Vision. As far as LED is concerned, there are some great options out there that offer a lot of light but be wary of cheap eBay offerings as they may not provide the spread and cut off you need to actually have effective light on the road

I put in some amazon H4 cree LEDs. Had to modify the boots a little bit. They are ferociously bright but scatter a bit at the top of the low beams. I would say any high quality 40w LED will probably outperform a halogen but a straight swap is easier.
Here is a pic of the front of the bike with the halogen and the LED installed, obviously the LED is the pure white one. I did not get to show the diff at night but it is significant. Also the 6000K looks really sharp and is easier to see in the day. I did have to adjust the LEDs up as they only shown out about 40-50 feet and the scattering was most pronounced there at the top. I am happy with them, but would have gone with higher quality bulbs if I had it to do again. Maybe something from super bright LEDs.

Attachments

• lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 52
I'm using a set of the LED replacement headlamps sold by Cyclegear. They make a lot of light but here is my experience with them. I ride the Suzuki SV1000s and have a dual headlight assembly much like the faired FZ1. If you claim to have double the light output but scatter light right in front of the bike on the ground, even if you project twice as much light in the distance, aimed correctly, your pupils dilate and light information from the distance is impeded. I will be going to HID when I can because the light will go where it is much better used. I've also had 2 LED headlight failures. Cyclegear did replace them at no charge but you need to make sure the units you purchase are reliable and use the reflector the way the halogen lamp uses it.Lucky for me they where half the price when I first purchased them.

Back