supercharged fz1

Just thought I would show a few pictures of the start of the conversion , I love fz1 , the low and mid power should very smooth and usable ,half of the kit fits the r1 so thats a help .
the intercooler might be a bit awkard to fit on front , big square thing,so they hopfully make a nice curved one so it follows the shape of the radiator , nice.
plus its got a pc5 ignition timing module which was to make the shifter run nice , which im hoping might give it a bit more play ability for setting up mid range power as all the r1s done have not had this on as far as I can see, plus cut down throttle flys.
tts performance near silverstone uk, is doing the conversion
got a penske 8987 rear shocker to go In her when I get it back as that would have been the main let down with its stanndard set up and extra power and its had a new frame becuse the last one snapped on a 07 plate us import.
I will put more bits on as they happen.

How much boost are you gonna run? If you keep it around 5ish lbs you can get away with no intercooler. What will the charger be run off from?

Totally cool BTW. I love superchargers just wouldn't know where to start to put one on a bike...

Wasn't the turbo fz on here that was boosting like 16lbs making like 260 to the tire?
So my guess on 10 lbs would put ya around 200ish to the tire...

Not that the question was directed toward me...:beer:

I was hoping for 200-220 odd , I wanted a supercharger for the smooth usable power with no lag and did not want to touch pistons and rods ect which I might have to think about if I have more power.
so im after reliability but something that will keep things interesting, I thought about making an r1 into a up right bike , cant be done with reaching for the bars any more, ok for the track may be but on the road waste of time , the fz1 idles around back roads and your comfy or screaming through the country side eating r1s lol sat up right, I love the muscle bike look but with a small bit of mid speed wind protection also,, there is not another bike I would rather have.

Charger

I have a supercharger on my Cooper S and although there is no "turbo lag" the boost still is very dependent on RPM. I absolutely love the way it build in such a linear manner until it is very quickly transformed from mild mannered to beast.

I also love the sound of the charger as it gets spun up to full boost. Your charger should be about the same size as the little Eaton on my Mini.

I have a supercharger on my Cooper S and although there is no "turbo lag" the boost still is very dependent on RPM. I absolutely love the way it build in such a linear manner until it is very quickly transformed from mild mannered to beast.

I also love the sound of the charger as it gets spun up to full boost. Your charger should be about the same size as the little Eaton on my Mini.

Centrifugal chargers are much more dependent on rpms (particularly lower ones) than roots type or twin screw chargers.
A centrifugal charger is kinda like a turbo with a belt instead of a turbine wheel.

Hmm there's an idea fab a different fuel tank and run a twin screw on top of the air box.

Yes that did cross my mind lol it was only doing 80 odd miles to a full tank if you was out for a hard run before the work, can only run it on 99 octane now as well.

Hi there sorry for delay lots of other things going on and a bit of delay on the fz really,
tryed the intercooler on the dyno and it was not thick enough to make good flow , bit gutted really it looked so good on there, ran up alot better with out lol or cry, starting set up had major running issues on part throttle and cruise it would kangaroo not good, it which seamed to lie to the lamba sensor on the dyno, after lots of road testing and tanks of fuel here lol, it was found to be the iap senser or some other bike the map sensor.that unpluged ran smooth as a baby bot ,part throttle all the way to full throttle,show code 14 and some times 20 but does not effect the running.
hope your still with me on all this im going right on ,.
back to the dyno to reset up the feuling runs up at about 200bhp at the wheel and about 105 ftlb torque, and then have belt tightness issue which meant she only running 5-6 psi boost when it should be running 8-10 ,due to trying to run the r1 tension set up needs a bit of a ajustment as in a few moddified parts to run with the fz set up really so probably more power to come I would say, in a earlier test the motor also accepted ignition advance but belt tightness stopped play for any more reliable dyno work.
so far richard has been very helpfull and willing to make things right for me and its and completely new charger set up so he needs feed back from me also, im a fussy git with my baby so hopfully we should get a reliable off the self kit form,
straight talking ride experience well its as tame as you want it to be and with the throttle wide open if u dare keep it there and the charger screams at you like a jet fighter lol theres no sound like it,flames on throttle down from high revs, and on idle you can hear the belt purring at you like a kitten.lol, nice,.
so few issue to get over yet, get proper reliable belt tension , and I think we can get thicker belt also, and becuse it un fared it started to shred the belt after 700 miles ,because it open to help cool it , so it will need a new cover made so its more stone friendly, looks cool seeing the belt running , but country lane hooning , sticky hot tyres , stones every were, I report back on final results , hopefully iron out all these teething problems.

Back