YZFriderNY's Yamahauler Thread

I was juggling things around at work about the trailer. I'll be assembling it this weekend and I brought home the plywood this afternoon. I have a gallon of Hercules Rhino Lining that I'll be doing both sides of the plywood with. That should keep it maintainence free for a long time, and very durable. I thought about "sprucing" it up a little to make it "my own" sort of. I wonder what you guys think about this design? I think it would look awesome. I know how some guys don't like "advertising" especially for free, but I don't think too deeply of such things. I just like what I like. So here it goes. It's a really rough sketch but you get the idea..........

HFTrailer.jpg

Today was a pretty good day as far as progress is concerned. I headed down early to get a start on the H.F. Trailer. I cracked open all the boxes and cut up and baled all the cardboard to get it out of my way.

IMG_3111.jpg

I already have the A/C Plywood halves ready to coat with the Rhino Lining as soon as it comes.
IMG_3112.jpg

I neatly laid out all the hardware to make things easier for me.
IMG_3113.jpg

I lined up all the structural parts along the wall in order.
IMG_3114.jpg

Tires, fenders, and springs are all ready to go.
IMG_3115.jpg

I covered the floor with canvas so as not to scratch up the pieces.
IMG_3116.jpg

After Tony left I got back to making the trailer. I finished tightening up the front section shortly after he left.
IMG_3126.jpg

The rear section was a bit easier and went together quick.
IMG_3128.jpg

Next was the rear suspension....
IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

Next I bolted the two halves together...
IMG_3131.jpg

Wheels were the next thing to get installed....
IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

By that time I looked up at the clock and it was after 5:30pm so I decided to call it quits. I'll have to get in the garage after work a few days this week to install the lights and wire it up, followed by the plywood and wheel chock. All in all it was a very good day!

Folded up in the corner.....
IMG_3134.jpg

I bought a bag of 3/8 x 1-1/2" Galvanized Carraige Bolts with Galv. Flat Washers and Lock washers. Of course when I got home I noticed that I was 7 pieces short. I made the proper holes anyway and installed all that I had. Tomorrow I just have to install the rest and work on the wiring. This was the first half complete and bolted down.....
IMG_3135.jpg

Okay, Day 3 of the trailer build. I got all the structural pieces together and the trailer is essentially done. The only thing left for me to do is wire it up. I'll tackle that tomorrow.

Both halves of the decking are bolted down now. As soon as the Rhino Lining comes, I'll remove them again to paint them.
IMG_3139.jpg

Richie came down and did the rest of the loose pieces such as the coupler unit and all the side railing holders. Thanks Rich!
IMG_3141.jpg

It looks pretty good all folded up. The the price I can honestly say that it's a pretty decent trailer.
IMG_3141.jpg

I finished up this evening with installing all the lights and license plate bracket.
IMG_3142.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg

There are a few things I would change, such as placement of a few of the bolts that have their heads raising the plywood in the corners. When I remove the boards for paint, I will fix that problem by getting a longer bolt and drilling through the plywood. Other than that I'm slapping a plate on it tomorrow and maybe a few decals and call it a day.

Well, aside from them not sending the friggin Rhino Liner on my order this week, the trailer is done. I hit the garage after work today and wired it up. Tomorrow I'll hook it up to the car to make sure everything works. It's all color coded so I should be good to go. I drilled some holes to route the wire looms through to make it look neat and professional. All these bags of wire looms that I buy every year down in Englistown's Swapmeet finally came in handy for a change. Here's the pics from tonight. The next pictures you'll all see is the bike on top and headed for Ivan's on Saturday morning!

The Folding Coupling Arm....
IMG_3144.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

The pivot point on the arm....
IMG_3146.jpg

Going into the pivot point of the two halves...
IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

I drilled a 1/2" hole on each side of the frame near the tail lights.
IMG_3150.jpg

I fed the wire loom through to each light....
IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

I made all the necessary connections and taped everything up.....
IMG_3155.jpg

So that's it. This thread will be coming to an end in a couple more weeks and let the Riding Video Threads Begin!!!!:tup:

Well, the YZF is at Ivan's in good hands. It will be finished before next Saturday. I can't wait to hear it once it's been rejetted and cleaned out! The Harbor Freight Trailer performed flawlessly and I recommend it to anyone looking to trailer their ride for whatever reason. No bouncing around and it tracked straight and true. The light kit worked perfectly as well. I can't wit for Monday though because the "ramp brackets" are coming from True Value and that will make loading and unloading a breeze. The 2x8 I'm using now is notched front and back but it's not enough and has too much of a "bump" when going on and off. The steel pieces will make a smooth transition on and off the ramp.

Here we are leaving this morning just before 9am.
IMG_3165.jpg

My Diamond Plate License Plate Holder.
IMG_3166.jpg

I drilled two 3/8 holes through the ramp and deck and locked the ramp down with two bolts with wing nuts and washers. It works great!
IMG_3167.jpg

The Harbor Freight Wheel Chock worked great too!
IMG_3168.jpg

A close-up of how the ramp is held secure.
IMG_3169.jpg

I'm sure that Gary will love this post. Dirty D sent me the decals which I received today at work. They are great and I'd like to thank him again for the main ones and also the nice extras that were thrown in the envelope as well!

The trailer is gonna look HOT!!!!
IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3217.jpg

IMG_3216.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

Thanks again Dustin, I really appreciate it. They came out great!

So despite all the nonsense that the USPS put me through this morning, I was able to come home with at least a few items today. I brought home the template for the Yamaha Tuning Fork Logo for the trailer which was cut from 1/8" Masonite.

I'll use the "negative" side to tack down to the deck and then paint in by brush. Once that dries, I'll turn it proper and paint another, and so on until I have the three forks done. I also have a guide to make the circle.
IMG_3222.jpg

I got downstairs this morning by 8:30am to try and get the trailer deck painted and some stuff done on the bike. It was a good day and I got some stuff accomplished. Here come the pictures!.............................

I removed the bolts from the deck and removed the plywood panels...
IMG_3225.jpg

I applied the first coat of the Skid Proof Paint. It goes on thick and doesn't smell too bad.
IMG_3227.jpg

After they dried a bit I hit the front sides.
IMG_3229.jpg

This stuff goes on super thick and has a real "bumpy" texture to it.
IMG_3231.jpg

While they were drying I set out to apply Dirty's decals. THEY LOOK HOTTT!!!
IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

I took a break and allowed the paint to dry and then re-installed the panels.
IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

Then I whipped out the brush and got all the bolt heads. Tomorrow I'll start the Logo.
IMG_3244.jpg

A big thanks to Dirty D. His "Yamahauler" decals make the trailer look like a million bucks!!! More pics tomorrow!

Okay! I'm back upstairs from starting the trailer logo. I'll have to wait for the first part to dry thoroughly before slapping on the Tuning Forks. The Skid-Grip paint dried to a dark black gritty finish. I have to say that even without the logo, the trailer looks awesome right now with just the deck finished and Dirty's Decals. I rolled it out into the sun to grab a couple of shots.

This trailer is gonna be a "peach" when it's finished.
IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

I used my homemade compass to draw out the two circles which will be filled in white.
IMG_3248.jpg

I then started the tedious job of masking off the circle. I have to say that the new 3M Painter's Tape that I paid $7.49 in Walmart SUCKS!!! Don't buy it. Just get the regular Blue Masking Tape which I wound up using. Thank God I had a roll in the garage.
IMG_3249.jpg

I used an exterior white oil paint made by Krylon to roll in the white.
IMG_3251.jpg

After a half hour I carefully removed the mask and had a nice circle which I touched up by artist brush and the Skid Grip paint to redo the areas that snuck under the tape. It came out awesome!
IMG_3254.jpg

IMG_3255.jpg

I'm going to let that dry overnight so I don't mess up the Tuning Fork part. I'm anxious to get it done but I'd rather wait and do one Tuning Fork every other day to make sure that each one dries. So by Friday it should be all done.

Okay, I got home from work today and jumped right into the garage to start painting the Tuning Fork #1. I laid down the template and measured everything twice and locked it down with some small set screws. I used a 1" brush to make sure that things didn't get messy. After a half hour I was done with the first of three. I'll let this one dry and tomorrow remove the template and possibly get the second one done! It's gonna look awesome when finished. A buddy of mine near work that has a body shop is bringing me the masking tape that you can make turns with so I can do a nice Red border around the circle to give it some separation from the black.

Here's #1 ready to dry overnight...........
IMG_3275.jpg

IMG_3276.jpg

I just got upstairs from getting a second Tuning Fork done. It will probably be dry by tomorrow, so if it doesn't rain I should at least have the logo down. I'll wait for the weekend to do the outline and touch up any bad spots. It's definitely NOT perfect but it should look decent when it's finished.

After I removed the stencil......
IMG_3281.jpg

Second one done and drying..............
IMG_3284.jpg

Awesome Billy! I was wondering how you were going to handle the tip of the fork overlapping into the circle. :yes: Love it!!

That's why I never threw out the "cutout" from the stencil. I just lay it down over the fork and use a artist brush with the Skid-Grip paint and follow it around the nose of the fork. Once I'm done I'll be saving the two templates in case I ever have to touch it up a little.

I got home and hit the garage with hopes of finishing the last of the Tuning Forks but it wasn't to be. Once I removed the stencil from yesterday I needed to touch up some areas where the white bled under the stencil. I want this to be halfway decent so I'll have to take it slow. Tomorrow when everything is dry I'll do the last Fork. So far so good.

IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

Stay tuned for more "Logo Action" tomorrow!

Back