Pod Mod - Lights!

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
I've seen a few people doing this on the FZ6 forum and decided I wanted to add some visibility to the FZ1. The folks on non-US bikes pretty much have this luxury already but we do not. The Pod Lights.

I stopped over to Auto Zone and picked up the Jam Straight 194A 4 LED lights and some simple 194 sockets.
attachment.php

I also picked up at the Home Depot a step drill bit.
attachment.php

After removing the inner fairings from both sides, I had easy access to the plugged area where the pod lights go. There is a small "nipple" (if you will) that I took a pair of flush cut nippers and clipped off until the area was flat.
attachment.php

I then used the step drill to carefully drill this area to the 3/4" mark to create the socket hole.
attachment.php

The sockets needed a little trimmed off as two of the four clips had a small ear of plastic that wouldn't allow the sockets to snap into place. Here is one trimmed.
attachment.php

Attachments

• dsc06381.jpg
    dsc06381.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 874
  • dsc06386.jpg
    dsc06386.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 782
  • dsc06390.jpg
    dsc06390.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 774
  • dsc06392.jpg
    dsc06392.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 777
  • dsc06395.jpg
    dsc06395.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 781
  • dsc06400.jpg
    dsc06400.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 777
  • dsc06406.jpg
    dsc06406.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 787
  • dsc06410.jpg
    dsc06410.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 778
  • dsc06411.jpg
    dsc06411.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:
I removed the front turn signals and after testing for running HOT and signal HOT, I found the two I wanted. The left signal is brown to brown and blue to black(194 socket wire). The right signal was green to brown and blue to black.

NOTE!!! Make SURE you have the signal locking plate on the wire and in the correct direction BEFORE soldering! I missed this on the left signal, had to unsolder, put it on and re-solder. DOH!

Here's one signal and the wires tinned for soldering.
attachment.php

Here's the signal and socket soldered together.
attachment.php

You can easily push the new 194 socket and signal lock plate through the fairing opening so no worries about it getting back on the bike. Here's a pic of one side installed.
attachment.php

After securing all the wiring, and installing the fairing, you end up with this. The Pod LED lights are running lights with the signals. When you signal to turn, the stock signal and your new LED Pod light alternate signals. Here's an after shot.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Short video of the signals

Uploaded a short video to Youtube showing the signals working. I like this mod! Cheap and simple!

[video=youtube;k-LvPsoT-jQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-LvPsoT-jQ[/video]

Last edited:
Less than $20 bucks... Does the GEN I have the Pod Light sockets (plugged)?

Autozone = (2) License side marker sockets from Conduct-Tite Part# 85814 $3.99 each
(1) jamstrait hyper-bright 4 led 194A bulbs(amber), $10.49 for a two pack... $18.47 Total.

This is one of the simplest mods I've done. But, I did get a few shavings into the pods so I need to get a small tube to hook to the vacuum up to it and get them out.

You did an outstanding job. It looks like it could be a standard issue item from outside. My wife's Toyota Rav4 has the exact same treatment on the headlights (from the factory). Looks very professional.

There's a lot of FZ6 owners that have been doing this mod. There's a better socket to buy if you're interested. The '03/'04 R6 had these sockets with a better rubber plug that was easier to fit and you didn't have to be as precise with the drilling. These were cheap but require a little mod with the exacto knife to make them fit properly.

I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Dead-on, they are very bright! But I made sure they would not interfere with the driver ahead of me.

Next up is adding some rear visability. I have to check with the state to see what is legal. ;)

I just got back up from changing the oil and I see somewhat of a cavity but I'll have to remove the fairing insert to see what is exactly there. I just had to get upstairs to jump in a shower. After removing the lowers, changing the oil, and polishing the header pipes, I was a pool of sweat! I'll be leaving the fairings off until I get the A.I.S. removal done as well as the spark plugs. I definitely wrote down those part numbers to have handy just in case. Thanks.

I am not sure what a GEN I will require so use your own judgement. You may only need to extend the new plug's wiring to get this done.

Let us know how it turns out!

Back