New member welcome thread...

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Alot of new members join and dont introduce themselves so Ive added this thread for all to introduce yourself....

Ill go first...

Hi all I am From Langley BC Canada. I started this site to be a sister site to FZ6-Forum.com I currently ride a FZ6... but I have a crush on the FZ1.

It doesnt matter how crappy a day I have had, all I have to do is put on my gear and go.... The world disappears... the FZ6 is my first bike.. Its a 2005 Galaxy Blue one.. (Yeah the blue ones are faster... Its not a rumor).

I am an Engineer and currently work rebuilding crash damaged helicopters and general Helicopter maintenance..... Okay nuff about me... Who is next.... BroHay? FZ1inNH?

Dennis

Name is Adam

Own a '01 FZ and it is my first bike -- picked it up in March of '08 b/c I got tired of feeding the beast @ 4.00+ gallon (F-350). Wife does not understand why I prefer it over a cage...but then I don't need to explain it to you all...

General Contractor, currently self-employed as a consultant, to an organization that focuses on Indian Economic Development. (Most of the projects are in the SW, but hoping that some of the Eastern Tribes kick in and I can travel to check out your roads (Aaron/Eric/Billy). Currently working on a hotel in Tuba City for the Hopi's.

Two boys -- BROdy and HAYden that will be 4 and 3 this August.

Other than that, ask away...

Adam

The name here is Billy.

I ride a Black 2001 FZ1
Married twice / divorced twice, I was born and raised in NYC but really love the country life. I get away every chance I get. My son Richie lives with me. Yes, some fathers do get their kids. He's been with me since the divorce 9 years ago.
I done a few things for a living in my 47 years, starting out as a Teamster many moons ago doing physical work, a few years as a police officer here in NY, and ultimately selling lumber and building materials here in the Bronx.

I have a passion for fishing and the outdoors. I can sit by my favorite lake an entire day, not catch a thing, and still be happy as a pig in s#%t. Motorcycles, cars, and most things that have an engine and wheels have interested me my whole life.

At home, I love the radio. I am a licensed Ham and love talking on the radio when conditions are right to people all over the world.

Thats me in a nutshell.

I've been given de name Arnold (callname Denarnold). Since my 19th birthday I've been on motorcycles (not non-stop as a house building adventure absorbed most of my money ). After a variety of different bikes, I ended up with the right one, a Graphite 2008 GENII faired FZ1 (ABS version) and I'm (as all of us on this great forum) LOOOOVING IT!! :Rockon::D.

Since I found and joined this forum, already learnt a lot and made some good forum-friends. One day I hope to be able to jump over the big ocean and join the US-members for a nice ride.... But untill then, I keep practicing and enjoying the roads in Western Europe, starting from Belgium....the land of the best beers :icon_beer:

Oh yeah, to pay all of this fun on two wheels, I work as a Business Manager at a large Telecom Operator.
Next to money for the bike, a big chunk of my paycheck goes to my wife and two kids (son 16y, daughter 14y) and the other bills :D

Last edited:
Hiya, I'm David and I live in London, England. I currently have an FZ6 S2 and I'm also pining for an FZ1.

I've been riding for about 2.5 years and have done about 15K in total - mostly commuting in and around London.

I'm planning on starting my Advanced Riding training so I can get my IAM certification soon.

Oh one more thing - my nickname is doo-rag. You know like the things you wear on your head.

Last edited:
I'm Pete. No FZ1...yet...but I've admired the bike since it was introduced. I owned an FZ6 for a year a loved the heck out of that little bike. I currently own an 08 Buell 1125R that is a true Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde.

I've been ridding for about 25 years and I've owned mainly Yamahas, not by plan, just kind of ended up at way. Of the bikes my RZ350 was my favorite. I wish I still had one. Nothing like a two stroke.

Like many others I was laid off last Fall after a 15 year run in the semiconductor equipment industry. I'm running a job search for an Operations Management, or Learning and Development Manager position. At the same time I'm working on purchasing a sign manufacturing company. No luck there either. :disapproval:

I've also served in the Army National Guard for 19 years and have done a tour in Iraq. Plan to retire next June if I'm not offered a promotion.

Grew up in Colorado and I've lived in Austin, Texas for 15 years and I still hate the summers here! :Rockon:

Last edited:
Hello all,

I'm Kevin and I currently live in Newport News, VA. I'm 27, married and have three kids--all boys, 4, 2, and 5mos. I don't own an FZ1, but may be purchasing one soon. I rode dirt bikes for years--I know, they are not really comparable to street bikes--and have been riding a Suzuki GS500 for a little over a year now and have ridden friends' bikes around a little bit as well--2001 FZ1, 2006 GSXR 750, 1999 Honda Shadow, 2001 R6. I love to ride but the GS500 had become more of a burden than a toy in the last couple months so it was time to say goodbye. I definitely want to step up to a larger bike, preferably an FZ6, SV650, R6, GSXR 600 or 750, but I've been offered a pretty good deal on an FZ1 from a buddy of mine that I don't know if I can pass up.

I'm originally from O'Fallon, IL (suburb of St. Louis) and have been in the Air Force for 6 years.

I basically wanted to join the site to get more information about the FZ1 before I think about buying one. I know 500cc to 1000cc is a HUGE step up in terms of power so I'm still pretty hesitant about buying the bike. I've ridden the bike a couple times, just around town...never really got on it. Anyway, just here for information, opinions, and hopefully to learn a thing or two.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello,

My name is Mike, picked up an 06 FZ1 last week. I live in west central Indiana. 55 years old. Haven't had a bike for a few years and am looking forward to riding again. I need to look into lower pegs, but otherwise i love the bike.

Greetings from NJ,
My name is George and on 6/2/09 I purchased my Granite Gray 2008 FZ1 (leftover) from a local Yamaha / Suzuki dealer.

I'm a father of 3 daughters ages 25, 25 and 21 and a grandfather of 2 (Granddaughter 3yrs and Grandson 1 Month) and married for 26yrs.

I work at a local community college as a Network Technician. I just got back into riding last year when I purchased a used 2005 Ninja. Prior to that (20yrs ago) I owned a 1980 Yamaha 650 Maxim.

Feels great to be free again.

Hi,
Just got back into riding again after 10 years of being away from it. Have always owned Yamahas, 88 FZR1000, 92 FZR1000, 97 YZF1000 (notice a pattern :D). And now an '06 FZ1.

I grew up around cars and have owned a few fast ones in my time. Love working on cars and motorcycles. I'm an IT Manager for a children's hospital so I am also into computers.

Two kids, girl and boy, 5 and 7.

Now that I have found this site and FZ1OA I have gotten the mod bug so I can't stop reading about the FZ1 and tinkering with it every chance I get.

Tony

Hi my name is Tod, currently living in Scottsdale (love riding in the desert) but my wife and I just decided today to move back home to Sonoma County, CA. I recently left Big Pharma and am looking for work in NoCal in Medical Device, Biotech or Pharma. I have been soaking up the info on this site and searching for an FZ1 as soon as I find work. Any leads are obviously welcome. My first bike in college was an '69 R69S BMW loved that bike. I have recently been riding with a buddy on his FJR1300 and Magna. Big fan of the FJR but not sure I wanted that much bike. Love the look and the reviews of the FZ1.

Hi... I'm Eric. I have a Yamaha problem. I've been through too many of them. Yamaha keeps putting out something better and I just have to have it. :D

Seriously, I was a Yamaha guy of old and took a 13 year break to raise kids by giving up my last bike when the twins turned 5. After they turned 18, I bought an '05 FZ6 leftover in '06. Almost two years later, I sold it and bought an '08 FZ6. One year later, after a trip to the Dragon, I returned and traded up to the FZ1. :D

I'm married, 18 years, but we've been together almost 23 years. She rides too and has an '09 Yamaha FZ6R which was a trade-up from her V Star 650. I have three kids. I adopted my wife's first born child and became his Dad when he was 20 months old. We had twins not long after meeting. :D Boy and a girl. They are about to turn 22.

I'm a Server/Storage Engineer for a wholesale energy company. I run the data center for not only our company but our parent company as well. Our company owns terminals in all New England states as well as New York.

I'm a hobbiest. I do a lot of woodworking, remodeling and started doing my own finish work as of late. I am a U. S. Army veteran and served during peace time from 82 - 86. I enjoy NASCAR, MotoGP, Boston Bruins, Red Sox, Washington Redskins, and above all, motorcycles be it riding or tinkering with them. I also do some hiking, kayaking and a lot of cooking. Dad and Grampa were cooks for their families, thus am I.

Toyota, Yamaha and Sony are most of what you'll see around my house. Sam Adams is the perfect beer(s).

Finally, I love to learn new stuff. I research everything to death and absorb as much as possible about anything that interests me. I read a lot but none of it is recreational. All for learning. :D

Last edited:
I'm 46 and live in Sweden. Got my first bike in -78, after a period without bike I picked it up again around 16 years ago and have been a major "hobby" ever since. In -95 I got around to my first track day and it became more and more important until it "peaked" when I went to 15 track days in one season on a 748R. For a while I had two bikes, one for the track and one for the road. Now I ride mostly on the road with just a couple of track days a year.

Bike history:

CB125T, CB500F, --nobike--, GPX600R, RF600, RF900, TRX850, Duc900SS, Duc748R and DR650, GSXR600 and R1200GS, ZX6R and DL1000VStrom, KTM950SM, Yamaha FZ1S

Last edited:
My name is Don,
I've been addicted to motorcycles since introduced to the two-wheeled contraption in about 1963 when my cousin, who had a Zundap 250 he took me for a little ride. I've had eighteen with the FZ1 my newest. I have one daughter who is now 35 and was born in Hawaii while I was serving in the USAF. I was one of the very last draftees of the Vietnam conflict (war if you prefer). Married three times, divorsed twice, so far all three marriages have lasted eleven years and hope this one is my last. Like most riders, I once was young, dumb, and full of, well, you know the last one. Been down pretty hard three times, and once real hard. Although it trashed the bike, I was pretty much unharmed and so was my wife. That was twenty years ago. I learned then that the street is totally beyond anyone's ability to forsee what's ahead. What causes most accidents is that which isn't seen until it's too late. That happened to me when I hit spilled antifreeze in the middle of a fast curve. I went down so fast I was sliding before I knew I was down and so was my wife and the bike. I now have a habit of watching the surface as much as what's traveling on it. I try to convince riders to leave the racing to the track but as most parents know, the vast majority of us simply have to learn by personal experience. Made my money in electronics and networking and retired at forty-seven. Most important lesson learned: to be truely free, get out of debt and stay there. It's not what you have, but what you give that makes for a happy and worthwhile life.

Hey kids-first personal is Chris and I hail from Wasilla, AK, a bit north of Anchorage.

My usual ride is a BMW GS, I bought a 01 FZ1 from a friend who was selling it cheap due to some rash, no keys, dead battery and uncertain operational condition. Well, how bad can it be? Keys made, battery replaced, and most of the rash has been addressed, and since my GS took a dump on me coming home from a gathering in Dawson City, I decided to get the Fizzer back on the road.

Totally different ride from the GS, but no surprise there.

I should warn everyone that I like to take lots of pictures and share them with people, like the crazy relatives who would bore you to death with slide shows :waiting: ... if you remember back that far.
My other riding addiction is dual sport, riding the GS which really is a great bike when it isn't obliterating expensive bearings in the final drive assembly.

I've been riding since I was 15, starting with a Honda CT90 that wasn't much for speed but would go pretty much anywhere. My first Yamaha was an old Dt1 that had an interesting habit of dying for no reason, only to roar to live after one-more-kick. Other bikes had included 2 V45 Intercpetors, Triumph Sprint, Buell S2, Honda CB900, CB750, Suzuki GS450, Aprilia Pegaso, so you could say my tastes are somewhat varied.

Last edited:
New Guy from Fort Campbell

Hello all,
My name is Jason and I am from Fort Campbell, KY. I have a blue 2001 FZ1. I have owned her for about 4 or 5 mths now, and even though she is not currently running I love her. I am a Flight Medic in the Army, and I love to ride my bike. I can not wait until I get her back up and running.

from texas

i thought i introduced myself before but i guess i put it in wrong thread. nothing new for me--
name is patrick, am 54 years old. started on mini bikes at 7 and havnt looked back. thanks grandad. i work at veterans hospital making false teeth. i used to play golf to a 10 handicap before i got bad arthritis in my back-hips-knees-neck.
now i ride when i can and dont stay on too long. not a mechanic at all. like computers and texas holdem.
thanks for the site---and thank everyone for all the great info.

Hey! Im Jeremy, I live in Northern Florida with my wife and two kids age 5 and 18 months. I am an IT in the Coast Guard and have moved around quite a bit over the last couple of years (Northern California, Hawaii, and now Florida). I started out riding on a 1100 Honda Shadow which was a great cruiser! After a couple of years I wanted something faster and with better handling. I gave the Honda to my Dad to get him back in to riding after a 25 year break, and I picked up a Raven 2009 FZ1.
Ive had the FZ1 since February and have done a lot of modifications to it since than. I've done the airbox mod, BMC race filter, Ivans flies, AIS plugged up, Power commander V, Auto tune, FCE, Yosh R-77 exhaust, Proton Flushmounts, LED's, fender eliminator, speedo healer, 16t front sprocket, rear set washer mod, and fz6 foot rests. The bike is now running incredible and I think I'm done for now with the engine Mods. Next up will be the brakes and suspension.
I ride to work a couple times a week and try to get a couple hundred mile ride in on the weekends. I havent done any track days yet, but it's something I'm looking to get into. Other than riding motorcycles I love to snowboard and play golf occasionally.

Im Justin, and live in East, TN. Been ridin since 02. Started then on a 94 harley lowrider, and loved it, but financial hard times forced me to sell in 06. Three years later a good friend of mine told me all the good things about an fz1, so after extensive research and a little guidance(not to mention finding a great deal on my 06 shift red with a few mods to sweeten the deal) I became the proud owner of an fz1. Since then i have tried to find another motorcycle the would be better for me and the search continues. Hopefully in the next couple years i can pick up a dual sport and do a little off roadin!!

Back