Stiff Throttle?

Sorry, this is quite a difficult one to put in words, but I've got a feeling that my throttle might be a bit stiff. It seems quite hard to give a blip for the downchange, which is spoiling my shifting. Going up is no problem of course, just ease the throttle and it snicks on home.
I was just wondering if this might be a known issue on the FZ, before I start trying to sort it out.

Thanks.

It would be a bit more easy to diagnose if you mentioned if you had a gen 1 or 2 but you should check to make sure your cables and throttle bar end has been lubed and that there is no binding or severe bends in the cables themselves. Make sure both cables are adjusted properly and any return springs are in good shape. Any moving parts should be free of heavy grease and/or crud that may accumulate. These simple steps should give you a throttle that responds like a new bike.

Sorry, this is quite a difficult one to put in words, but I've got a feeling that my throttle might be a bit stiff. It seems quite hard to give a blip for the downchange, which is spoiling my shifting. Going up is no problem of course, just ease the throttle and it snicks on home.
I was just wondering if this might be a known issue on the FZ, before I start trying to sort it out.

Thanks.

Check for the obvious stuff first. See if the grip is rubbing on something, see if the throttle tube is rubbing on something. Lube up your throttle cables thoroughly as well. Take off your bar ends and shoot a tiny bit of a thin lube between the throttle tube and the bar if it seems corroded there.

After that, see if your cables are bound somehow; crooked or with tension.

i know its a old thread, but im having what i think is a similar issue, my throttle is what i consider still , it doesnt stick or anything, it snaps shut no problem but it feels like the spring is really heavy..

anyone else find this with the fz or is there a known issue

Pull the rubber grip off of the throttle. Underneath will be a plastic tube attached to the throttle cable that lives over the handle bar, lube the whole thing up good including a little light oil into the cable outer tube and reassemble.

old thread, and the common problem was well diagnosed, but here's my throttle issue-
when you give it throttle and let go, it returns to closed just fine, but is there a way to reduce the resistance when you twist the throttle?
i've owned a duke 390, and aside from my dealership leaving me high and dry when the engine blew, it was a fun bike, and made even more fun with the throttle spring mod. the throttle on the duke 390 has 2 springs mounted on the throttle body. these springs are what close the throttle when you take your hand off of it. remove one spring, and the other still does the job just fine, and lightens the throttle, making the bike feel even lighter. can the same be done with the 2nd gen fz1? i havent gotten in there to mess around and find out. usually when i start poking around with my bike's innards, they begin to run worse, lol.

after searching google i found similar issues with the fjr1300s, i found some threads where they have 3 springs and the fjr guys just unclip the middle spring.

so i had a look at the fz and its very similar, there are 3 coil springs, i unclipped and unwound the middle front spring and its much easier and still snaps shut.

i checked it out on sunday, and unclipped what i think was the same spring you got to. throttle response seemed off, and it was a lot slower coming down from high rpm's. i didnt notice any difference in throttle feel, so i put it back.
can you post a pic of the spring you unclipped, or ms paint a pic?

My guess is that the cable was pulled or something when adjusting the bars or front forks , it can also twist a bit and cause problems

Thanks.

Hey my throttle is so hard to pull and I think it’s the spring because the cables are new. Do you still have success with this modification? Are there any problems with the throttle sensor or other side effects? Thanks

Back