Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1

    Default Klurejr goes for the Iron Butt Challange - Bun Burner 1500

    Ever since I first heard about this I have wanted to do it. I have a few friends who love just hitting the road so it looks like there will be three of us on this trip the last weekend of June.

    SaddleSore 1000/Bun Burner 1500 Rules

    We are doing the Saddle Sore + Bun Burner, meaning 1000 miles in 24 hours and an additional 500 in the next 12 to be 1500 in 36 hours.

    Once you have all your paperwork in order you submit it to them and for $46.00 you get a customer License plate frame, certificate and button. But really you are doing it for the bragging rights.

    I do not have the exact route dialed in, but we will leave at 4am on Friday from a local Gas Station, get our time and date stamped receipts and lay down nearly 400 miles before breakfast in Bishop. To get some extra miles in we will head up the 15 to Barstow and then cut back west to the 395 or the 14 to head back north to Bishop.

    After Breakfast we will climb into higher elevation and jump into the Sierra's, I really want to stop in Truckee to visit the 50/50 Brewery, and by late afternoon/evening we will be heading down towards redding, and finish the last few hours on the freeway, interstate 5, and take that north to Grants pass Oregon and crash at my moms house, she will be our final odometer witness for the stop. The plan is to be up early and start out to the coast and make our way south to get the 500 miles in before the 36 hour mark. Once that is done we can take a much longer break and get some rest before Sunday comes and we jet home, hopefully from somewhere south of San Francisco.

    Has anyone else done this?

    I will be riding my 2007 Vstar 1300 Touring. Just gave her a fresh oil change yesterday, and new front and rear rubber in the last two months. The bike came with some Dunlop something.. I forgot to take note (looked sorta like this from what I recall K555 | Dunlop Motorcycle), but they lasted nearly 20k miles, which is fantastic. I now am running Michelin Commander's front and rear, 130/90-16F, 180/65-16. I was told the Michelin's are better tires and should last as long if not longer.... But I heard that once before about the Bridgestone T30 vs BT-023... lol. Time will tell for sure.


    Here is the Beginnings of a map of our route, i need to work in 30 more miles, but this is the gist of it.

    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/33.1...!1m0!3e0?hl=en
    "There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."
    - John Galt

  2. #2

    Default

    That's a very ambitious trip and I wish you good luck!

    Regarding your route: You're going to be taking a lot of central valley and that place can be cripplingly hot in late June. The areas around Yosemite and Lake Tahoe are also very busy come summer so keep that in mind. I have had to wait at some lengthy construction zones in that area as well. Also, be aware that quite a lot of Highway 1 from Leggett (where you come in from Grants Pass) can be very slow, crowded and tricky to overtake on. The 101 would certainly be a lot faster.

    Doug knows those parts very well and I'm sure he can chime in with some tips.

    My initial thought is that you should get out of CA as quickly as possible and get to an empty state like Nevada. I wonder if this route is more efficient?

    I hope you'll post some pictures after you've successfully completed your 1500 mile trek!
    Last edited by Dustin; 06-02-2016 at 08:29 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member delbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    DARTMOUTH DEVON ENGLAND
    Posts
    679

    Default

    That's some trip and I wish you all the best. I could only dream of doing that , a few hundred miles in a day cripples me !!
    Good luck
    Cheers Delbert

    Tell it like it is

  4. #4

    Default

    Ride far, ride well, sleep when tired, eat when hungry and ride, ride, ride!

  5. #5

    Default

    You may want to check with the IBA as I think you need to complete a SS before you can apply for a BBG. This is from their website

    " WARNING: Before you can apply for Bun Burner Gold certification (1,500+ miles in 24 hours), you must have at least completed one of the following; a SaddleSore 1000, a Bun Burner 1500 (1,500 miles in 36 hours), a SaddleSore 2000 (or other similiar IBA ride), the Alberta 2000, Minnesota 1000, TimberButt, Tarbutt Rally, Utah 1088, any Cognoscente Group event, any MERA event, or the Iron Butt Rally. IMPORTANT NOTE: Other 24 and 36 hour rallies qualify. Their omission here is not intentional, it is just not possible to list all qualifying rallies. If you are unsure if a rally you finished is acceptable, please contact [email protected]."

    I would e mail them to be sure. Manage your stops well (quickly) as you can really get behind fast. Also pee/lunch stops will much harder to handle with three riders compared to doing it by yourself. Also I agree with Dustin and avoid Lake Tahoe in the summer, it is slow going around there. Allow for summer construction and congestion and after Bishop, Nevada is much easier to do the long miles and to ramp up the speedo than Ca. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and most of all make it a fun ride.
    2008 Goldwing, 2010 KTM 990 Supermoto T, 2000 KLR650, 1985Yam XT350

    IBA#20890

  6. #6

    Default

    Did a SaddleSore 1000 last summer: Lake Huron SS1K 2015 Ride

    It wasn't that bad actually, took myself and the three guys I rode with around 19 hours. Would have made it a little faster but one of the guys wanted to stop more often. Monkey butt powder before you leave....Earplugs....and Motrin. Other than that, just put the miles in.

    Last edited by n.e.mich; 06-02-2016 at 07:07 AM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    That's a very ambitious trip and I wish you good luck!

    Regarding your route: You're going to be taking a lot of central valley and that place can be cripplingly hot in late June. The areas around Yosemite and Lake Tahoe are also very busy come summer so keep that in mind. I have had to wait at some lengthy construction zones in that area as well. Also, be aware that quite a lot of Highway 1 from Leggett (where you come in from Grants Pass) can be very slow, crowded and tricky to overtake on. The 101 would certainly be a lot faster.

    Doug knows those parts very well and I'm sure he can chime in with some tips.

    My initial thought is that you should get out of CA as quickly as possible and get to an empty state like Nevada. I wonder if this route is more efficient?

    I hope you'll post some pictures after you've successfully completed your 1500 mile trek!
    Look at the route again, this is what my buddy is proposing, We spend very little time in the Central Valley, your route through death valley will be considerably hotter... lol

    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/76,+...8683!3e0?hl=en

    Quote Originally Posted by OneSizeFitsAll View Post
    You may want to check with the IBA as I think you need to complete a SS before you can apply for a BBG. This is from their website

    " WARNING: Before you can apply for Bun Burner Gold certification (1,500+ miles in 24 hours), you must have at least completed one of the following; a SaddleSore 1000, a Bun Burner 1500 (1,500 miles in 36 hours), a SaddleSore 2000 (or other similiar IBA ride), the Alberta 2000, Minnesota 1000, TimberButt, Tarbutt Rally, Utah 1088, any Cognoscente Group event, any MERA event, or the Iron Butt Rally. IMPORTANT NOTE: Other 24 and 36 hour rallies qualify. Their omission here is not intentional, it is just not possible to list all qualifying rallies. If you are unsure if a rally you finished is acceptable, please contact [email protected]."

    I would e mail them to be sure. Manage your stops well (quickly) as you can really get behind fast. Also pee/lunch stops will much harder to handle with three riders compared to doing it by yourself. Also I agree with Dustin and avoid Lake Tahoe in the summer, it is slow going around there. Allow for summer construction and congestion and after Bishop, Nevada is much easier to do the long miles and to ramp up the speedo than Ca. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and most of all make it a fun ride.
    We are not doing the Bun Burner Gold, just the regular Bun Burner, 1500 miles in 36 hours. The GOLD is in 24 hours. We are actually doing both the Sore Saddle(1k in 24hrs) and Bun Burner(1.5k in 36hrs) in one shot.

    I have no interest in doing 1500 in 24 hours...
    "There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."
    - John Galt

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Look at the route again, this is what my buddy is proposing, We spend very little time in the Central Valley, your route through death valley will be considerably hotter... lol
    Sorry, I'm not so familiar with the names of places in California. What I was referring to was actually the valley Redding is in. My suggestion for Death Valley was based solely on the fact you guys were leaving at 4 AM. I'd imagine that early morning in DV is not at all hot and probably far less busy for you guys to make up some big miles.

  9. #9

    Default

    Understood, you will love 120 from Benton to Lee Vining but again I must warn you Lake Tahoe (especially the east side) will be really slow going. Better off riding from Markleeville to Reno and over to Truckee then north on 89 .FYI Lots of chp from Truckee to Quincy, stay within 10 of posted. CHP has an office in Quincy.
    2008 Goldwing, 2010 KTM 990 Supermoto T, 2000 KLR650, 1985Yam XT350

    IBA#20890

  10. #10

    Default

    It's quite easy, start early, stay hydrated, snack on the road, i recommend a tank bag. i've done multiple 1,000-1,500 mile days including a few back to back...to back. In regards to the IB association, personally, i'd never give em a penny, i dont need a license plate holder or pin to prove i ride. and the only people i gotta prove i got something swinging is whatever lady i'm talking to, not a buncha dudes at a bar or starbucks

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:45 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.5
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Copyright 2008 , All content is property of 998cc.org All Rights Reserved. The opinions and posts on this site do not necessarily reflect those of the site owners or operators. Yamaha FZ1 and Yamaha rights are property of Yamaha Motor Company. 998cc.org is not associated with Yamaha in any way. We are an enthusiast site dedicated to the Yamaha FZ1 motorcycles. Our goal is to offer a place for Yamaha FZ1 owners to discuss rides, events, mods, maintenance, purchasing, etc.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com