Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

My name is Mick, i'm close enough to fifty, been road riding ever since I was 17 and 9 months, and it's been an addiction that I can not, will not, and don't want to kick. I live in the Yarra Valley, east of Melbourne in Oztralia.
    I'll run the list of bikes backwards, it helps the memory that way.
    ZRX1100. 2000. 90 odd thousand k's
    Bandit 600. 1996. 145 odd tthousand K's (Courier Bike)
    Across 250. 1992 130 odd thousand k's (courier bike)
    FJ1200 1992. 380 odd thousand k's
    FXWG H.D. 1980. 500 odd thousand k's
    Z650. 1981 120 odd thousand k's
    RD250LC 1981 50 odd thousand k's
    RD250LC 1980 30 odd thousand K's
    XS650 ...................................
    Z1R ....................................
    XL250S..............................
    Truimph Bonnie....................
    Suzuki T20 250ss 1964
    Only 1 major get off touch wood, but made a major mess of my left leg, but still was unable to put me off riding.
    I've worked as an electrical lineworker a welder, in spare parts in a bike shop, in the workshop of another shop, as a mad assed motorcycle courier, and a van courier driver for our own business, which we have just sold off in the last couple of months. And have just undertaken a shyte load of retraining to go back to my first trade as a lineworker.
    I'm married for the second time round,(Yes I'm a slow learner) I have twin boys now 15 to the first ball and chain. And the newest dearest has 2 girl to a previous a 20 yo and a 13yo, then there's the new we've had a 3 yo boy and a 18 month old girl. No we are not the bloody brady bunch, there's no Alice, but there is the live in father in law, but it hates being called Alice.

The good wife rides, and now rides a mint 2005 FZ1S.
    And my new ride, is just the ducks guts, love it, does everything nicely and at the end of the day, I can still walk, my arms still work, kind of, and it takes a hellva lot to wipe that shyte eatin grin from my dial.

My love for two wheels, like most young boys, started in childhood. I loved BMX bikes. I liked riding wheelies, bunny hopping and endos. I can honestly say I have had far more injuries and incidents on two wheels under my own power than on motorcycles.

As a child every weekend my friends and I would construct a new ramp of some sort and do something to make it seem like we were dare devils. Most often our daredevil efforts involved setting a bunch of logs on fire to jump over or through. Other times we would build ramps to jump over the Bayou near our home. This Bayou had a concrete spill way with about a 6’ span and walls about 5‘ high. That jump was an initiation of sorts for my group of friends. One of my accidents happened here when I had my mother come watch me jump. When I did my front tire hit the top of the wall and I flipped end over end. Fortunately, my mother was very much a “boys will be boys” type of mother. She just shook her head started to walk away and said “do the bunny hop thing at the top of the ramp next time.”

In high school I started riding mountain bikes. All those earlier skills definitely paid off here. I never did anything competitively. Just weekend rides with friends along the bayous and in the local parks.

Immediately after high school I began my love affair with motorcycles. My best friend’s mother was dating the manager of Stafford Kawasaki. He was a very philosophical and wise man. We spent many a weekends up there at his shop gaining every bit of knowledge we could about motorcycles. The more time I spent there the more I had to have a bike. I was even having dreams about proper shifting even though I had not ridden yet. Yes, I taught myself how to drive a motorcycle in my dreams.

My first motorcycle was purchased at that shop in 1990. It was a 1989 Kawasaki EX500 with full after market fairing. Since I had not actually ridden before I had it delivered to my home. From there I hoped on and never stalled it once. My dreams paid off. I will be the first to admit that I was very “squidish” back then. I was that guy in tennis shoes and shorts with no jacket. Fortunately, the helmet was something I was always adamant about wearing but mostly because I thought I looked cool.

I had that bike for about 8 years. For most of that time it was my only form of transportation. My first wreck was on this bike. I was just leaving my girlfriends office and pulling on to a three lane street. It just started to rain. About 100 yards down the road a large METRO bus made a U-turn right in front of me without yielding. It took up all three lanes. I grabbed my clutch and brakes and my rear started to slide. I got it back under control but by the time I did I was so close to the bus I just locked the brakes and went down. Cagers everywhere jumped out of their cars and started banging on the door of the bus as it attempted to take off. Big scratches all the way across my visor convinced me that day, that the helmet did much more than make me look cool.

After selling the EX500 in 1998 I went about 5 years without. I never stopped renewing my motorcycle magazines and knew I would eventually get another. My wife and I were just starting our lives together and financially another bike was not in the picture.

In 2003 I finally felt like I could afford another bike. This time it was a 2003 Honda CBR 600 F41. I loved everything about that bike and never made any performance mods to it. Never laid it down or dropped it. I sold it in 2006 with only 6K miles on it. This time it was because I had hardly anyone to ride with and I had an itch for a Ski Boat. I scratched that itch. I had thought the boat would give my wife and I something we could do together. Seeing it sit in the stall all but 2 weekends a year made me decide I get much more use out of motorcycles.

So in the market again I was looking this time for a sport tourer. I was considering a Honda Interceptor or ST1300. A friend suggested I look at the FZ1 as they claimed it was one of the best all around bikes out there. I never liked naked bikes. There was, however, something about the FZ1 that I was very attracted to. The more I looked at it the more I loved its muscular appearance. It looks like it is ready to attack. I liked more and more that I could see the machine and still it looked sporty. Then I compared the price to that of the VFR or the ST1300 and the decision was made for me.

Most of my miles have been commuting over the years. I still enjoy frequent fast weekend jaunts through the country side. That is where this bike truly shines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Rider Resume-ex500.jpg  
    Last edited by Hail; 08-22-2011 at 09:31 AM.
    Stop trying to be right and just ride!
    '13 Triumph Speed Triple R
    '13 Triumph Tiger 800xc
    '12 Suzuki DR-Z 400s

Like most of us here, my experience with 2 wheels started with a bicycle. I got one when I was 8 years of age. I am from India so my experience with motorcycles may be differ. Bicycle was my mode of transport to school for 4 years before I graduated to a Bajaj Scooter. Motorcycles in India are considered a family transport (as you can see from Image 1). They are small (100 – 175 cc) with 8 to 16 horse power. We do have the Royal Enfield brand (350 cc bikes) but they are hard to find.
    In collage, I borrowed my friend’s bike. It was a 100 cc 8 bhp Honda. No power but gave great mileage. The kind of bike you need when you have little or no money in your pocket but still want to get around places.
    The first bike that I purchased was a Honda. A 156 cc engine with 12 bhp. This bike had the power that I needed to ride on Indian roads. It was the craze around that time. I rode this bike for years before I moved over to US. I still have this bike back in India.
    Currently I own
    2006 R6 – One beast of a machine. Every time I take it out on the streets, it just does not want to go slow. I have be really careful with my speeds as it only comes to life when you have it revved up high and speeds that exceed the legal limits. I now take this out only on weekends when I have the craving to ride the twisties.
    I had one experience on the R6 on my first trip to the mountains. No harm to rider and bike. I learnt a lot from it and I think I am a little better rider now (know and ride within ones limits).
    2007 FZ1 – This is my second bike. It is for the streets for two up riding. It’s a great bike when you want to take it easy and stay within limits. I love everything about it - sitting position, throttle response, wind protection. I have taken it to the mountains and it responds just as well as my R6.
    I took my MSF course before getting myself the R6. For me the right riding gear is very important. I have invested in my gear and never ride without them. I have done a couple of demo rides organized by Yamaha. Yamaha demos are on Tracks in collaboration with NESBA. You get 15 minute sessions to try out their bikes. It is a good experience for those who are unsure about riding their own bikes on track. I must say, Tracks are the safest places to be if you want to exploit the true potential of your sport bikes.
    Last edited by fastchariot; 01-03-2010 at 06:55 AM.

I have owned 17 bikes up until now. Current bike is a -08 FZ1-S and I also have a -02 CBR600FS. Couple of pics of my previous bikes:
    ***** 2008 FZ1S Cobalt Blue ***** Mods: Ohlins YA906 shock, Rizoma fatbar, LSL risers, R&G frame and axle sliders

I have wanted a bike pretty much all my life and finally bought a bike in June of 2008. I have ridden every single month since then even through winter. I ride as often as I can. I have loved the pure joy out of riding since first learning. I received my permit and within a few months I took a STAR course here in Boise on base and received my endorsement.

The first bike I bought was a 1983 Honda Shadow 750 and I put a couple thousand miles on it before selling it. After that bike I purchased a 1999 Suzuki Intruder 1400 and loved the upgrade in power on the smaller framed bike.

After trying out the cruisers I tried out sport bikes and bought a 1996 Honda CBR600F3 for a grand and fixed it up. It was my first sport bike as well as my first project bike. I put a few thousand miles on that one and sold it for a 1999 Kawasaki ZX-9R.

I started missing cruisers for some reason and sold the ZX and picked up a 2000 Shadow Aero 1100 and that was a big mistake. My 750 shadow had more power than that thing. It was a gorgeous bike though. I sold that one and picked up a 2002 Suzuki SV650 1st gen and customized that bike to my liking.

Shortly after getting it where I wanted I went down while going about 55 through a 20mph switchback. We normally do that speed through them but for some reason my rear tire just didn't stick. My fault for probably over riding my shitty tires at the time. They were some crappy Shinko Stealths or something. I wasn't banged up very much but had to get new gear and fix the bike up. I fixed the bike back up and went on a ride with my gf up a road I have never been on and going up it was sandy as hell so we were really taking it easy and just enjoying the scenery. One turn on the way back down we hit a patch of sand I didn't see and it slid out from under me. Rode back up to the lodge for their first aid kit to clean up our wounds and got on the bike and went straight home to relax. That was the scariest moment I have ever endured in my riding experience. I was so afraid for my gf, of whom I love, and I will never put her in that situation again.

I sold the SV650 and picked up my current bike and love this thing to death! It is a 2003 Yamaha FZ1 in the silver color. This bike is the cherry of them all. This bike will take me places and I will ride much safer on it and still have a blast.

I have owned quite a few bikes and I do A LOT of riding when compared to others. For some reason when I first got into riding I could not hold onto a bike. I would just get bored of the bike and want something else. This FZ1 is my keeper and the only way I would get rid of this one is to get a newer version that is injected. This is a great all around bike! Thank you Yamaha!

When the weather permits I love tearing into the canyons and getting as close to dragging the knee as possible without going down. Here in Idaho we have some amazing roads for riding but also a lot of dangers if you don't pay attention to those roads. Probably like every other state. I plan to do a lot of long trips on my bike. Come March/April I plan to do a trip down to Yellowstone with my gf and friend for a week. There are plenty of trips like this in my future as I can never see myself NOT owning a motorcycle. I commute to work as well but prefer tearing into the canyons. I plan to do some track days in the future but I need some more money for that.

Best piece of advice I can give is to never commit to a turn if you can't see all the way through it and by commit I mean drag knee

I guess we start in the beginning. I was 12 years old in the spring of 1978 I bought a slightly used 1978 Yamaha DT100 with money I saved from allowance, birthdays, working hayfields, mowing grass, etc. We lived on a farm (woods mostly) in central West Virginia. Dad took me out in the bottom and led me around laying out a path I could ride to my hearts content. It started with about a 150 yard straight away followed by a u-turn that led into 3 or 4 S-turns. After the S-turns was a long left hand sweeper that ended with a short straight and a hard left hand 90 back onto the original straight away. By the end of the first day I had the grass beat down. After a week most of the grass was gone. By fall the "track" was 3 to 4 feet wide covered with about 1/2 inch of red clay dust the consistency of talcum powder. We moved off of the farm 1-1/2 years later but I doubt if any grass is growing there yet.

Shortly after moving from the farm to the Mid Ohio Valley I aquired a 1973 Suzuki TS185. We didn't have enough un-used ground for a new track but I was allowed to ride the back roads as long as they didn't have any stripes painted on them. You can go a long way in WV on twisty little one lane back roads, some paved, some not. I still ride these same roads a few times every year though many more of them are paved now than they used to be.

Somewhere between that little TT track that Dad layed out and the thousands of miles I logged on back roads in southern Wood County I developed a passion for riding crooked roads. When I was riding the 185, my riding buddy had a Yamaha DT250. I couldn't accelerate as hard out of the turns as him so I learned to carry more speed through the turns in order to keep up.

Then it happened. Somebody gave me a blown up Honda XL250 basket case. I wanted to put it back together but the rod was poking out of the case and I no longer had any money as it all went for motorcycle gas and tires. But I had all these parts. The forks were longer than the forks on my 185 and bigger around also. The rear shocks had to be 3" longer. If I could get this suspension on my 185, landings would be much more pleasant when I did my Evil Kniefel imitations. But those fork tubes wouldn't fit in my triple trees and the tripple tree stems were different so I couldn't just change the hole tripple trees but I really wanted that suspension. I took the two top trees with the stems and went to neighbor who had a machine shop. I don't remember how the stem was held in place on the Honda, but the Suzuki was a press fit with a bead of weld to keep it that way. Short version. Lathe, press and TIG machine and I had XL250 tripple trees with a TS185 stem. I was back in business the next day. The 185 was lighter than the 250 had been so it was a little stiff but it looked good, sat higher and it did much better when jumping off the spillway down at the lock and dam. To this day, I hardly blink before I start modifying a motorcycle. Drives my wife nuts. Brand new motorcycle and I've got the saws-all out trimming the tailpiece the day I bring it home.

This is getting long winded. I've also had the following:

1970's Honda CL350 (vertical twin)
    1970's Honda CB?450 (vertical twin)
    1982? Honda XL 200 (lame)
    1986 Suzuki RM 125 (not lame)
    1980's Honda CB?450 (vertical twin with drum brakes, they mad a version of this with an auto clutch but mine had a regular clutch)
    1990-1995 no bike :frown:
    1995-2001 Yamaha 750 Virago (Very good bike for what it was)
    2001-2005 no bike :frown:
    2005 DR-Z 400 S (bought this the day after I saw Supermoto Racing on TV the first time. The DR-Z 400 SM was not out yet so I decided to build my own. It was January and 17 degrees F when I rode it home. BRRRR)
    2005, Sept. DR-Z 400 Stolen, Very bad day
    2005, Oct. Bought 2006 Buell XB12Ss. Had this bike until Spring 2009 when pay cuts at work forced me to trade it for a 883 Sportster. I spent about 10 grand for the bike and probably had 3-4 grand worth of mods when I traded it. Put deposit on FZ1 today, 2-1-10 so that Sportster can go down the road.

Additional bikes owned since 2005 (in addition to the Buell):
    Suzuki M50
    Suzuki S83
    1981 Maico 250 Mega II (Unbelievably good motorcycle, should have kept this one)
    Suzuki GZ 250 (trying to teach the wife to ride)
    Yamaha TTR110E (Again, trying to teach the wife)
    DR-Z 250
    KLX 250
    DR 650 SE (still have this one)
    H-D Iron 883 Sportster (going away)
    1981 Yamaha 650 Special (the YamaDawg). This is a half a$$, half complete Street Tracker conversion that I may finish someday and then again I may not)

That should be a lot more than anyone wanted to know. If not, I'm 44 years old, married, 2 step kids (grown), and I currently design Poop Sucking trucks for a living. I'm sorry, Industrial Sewer Cleaning Equipment.
    Last edited by Adrenaline Junkie; 02-01-2010 at 03:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Rider Resume efzed1

Like the idea of this - you get to know complete strangers real quick (sort of anyway)
    My old man won a competition when I was about 5 - he bought home a Bombardier mini bike - ( i think it was a 50 but not too sure - it was 1976) he would give us kids 2 up rides (we call 'em dinks in Australia- oh yeah did I forget to mention I grew up in the land of Oz) anyway - I was infected from that time on with motorcycles - didn't buy my own until 15 though - we were pretty poor and the folks couldnt afford one so I rode my mates KX-80 for along time - the first bike I bought was a KL-250 - what a beast - you couldnt kill it - a mate of mine and I went partners on it to save money we rode that thing every where at 15 with no licence - it finally had its demise over a cliff LOL.
    From the KL I moved to a TT 250, from the TT I moved to an IT - 250 - rebuilt it and learned alot (talk about Demon 2-stroke power), from the IT - I moved to a DT - 200 (water cooled 2 stroke, nice smooth power) I rode most of these bikes (and others , like a friends GPX-250, and his GS-250, which is a 4cyl 250 - Google it) on and off the road in rural Australia over a period of 6 years - ( I put in some hours on an RZ-250 as well a very quick 2 stroke street bike back in '92 also some hours on a GSX-1100F) I then headed to the US in 1995
    Moved out to Coloarado and bought another IT - then got married and laid off bikes until 2002 - finally had saved enough money between having kids so I bought a TT-350 from a guy in STL..the bug was back - I stripped it down - and did a cosmetic rebuild and sold it to the neighbor and bought a ZR-7s - I enjoyed this bike for about 2 weeks - it was fairly quick - but it was boring, twist the throttle and she went sort of quickly - but no surprise and the buffeting from the screen was awful, In between all this we moved to a farm, so I sold the Z after a year and bought a 4-wheeler - talk about fun, great jumps and climb anything - but just not a street bike, so I kept it for a few years taught my 3 kids to ride it and sold it - enter the FZ-1 - bought it new in 2009 - it was a left over '07 with 9 miles on it - to date I love it - has more than enough pwer - its comfortable - handles well and can pull a two - up - my 11 yr old son loves to hop on Pillion -
    All up I really couldn't begin to add up all the miles and time on bikes - but I learned most of my skills in the dirt or on a dirt bike - some will say it's different to a street bike, but I disagree - you learn to lean, countersteer, slide with your feet ON the pegs - all on a light, slower bike..you learn brake control, gearbox control, and you learn to pay attention and MOST of all you learn the limts of your ability (if your smart)
    Anyway Im 38 now so that puts me over 20+ years on a bike...Ive been down a few times in the dirt and had a few sprains but only once on the road (once is enough)
    You also learn how to tinker and fix things - if you love riding it's usually 2nd nature to tinker..so I am no mechanical expert but I know enough usually to get me out of trouble - a combustion engine is pretty simple, air, fuel, spark, if one is missing it aint gonna go!
    Cheers to you all - oh the latest addition is an electric dirt bike that runs 14mph for my 5 yr old - ah the circle of life!...I guess that trumps the air, fuel, spark theory

Senior Member Your Rider Resume pilot8127's Avatar

Default Geezer-resume

Yes, I'm a geezer. Recently retired (at age 55), now age 58, I'm still a child at heart. I started riding motorcycles at age 14 and a half and have never ever quit. It all started in 1967. All you needed then was a learner's permit to ride on the street. I have owned, rode, and raced 35 motorcycles through the years. I can't remember them all now. But the first one (you always remember the first one, ,, right ?) was a shiny black Honda Super 90. The other choice back then was RED, and I wanted that, but of course, they were all sold out. I just couldn't wait. Bought the shiny black one. Got married in 1970 to gal who let me do everything I want. So, off to the races then for me. My father also raced karts back then. He never rode motorcycles tho. They just never interested him I guess.
    I proceeded to race go-karts and motocrossers all through the 70's and early 80's. Most of my motorcycles were dirt bikes, trail bikes, or moto-x racers of all sizes. I've been run into, ran over, and dumped off countless times. No serious injuries however. I have been very lucky through the years. I did without fail, keep at least one street machine in the stable at all times. I did a lot of the work, and most of the wrenching on my bikes, and still do. I have a 45 year collection of parts and tools and I am always thinking of ways to improve my present ride(s). Currently, I have three in the heated and air-conditioned shop/garage. A sweet Cobalt Blue and Pewter Silver 2006 Harley Heritage Classic with a 95" big-bore kit, gear drive cams, HC-pistons, etc. At 95HP and 97 lbs torque, she is a screamer as Harley's go. Also, there is the cherry 2003 Silver Suzuki 650 Burgman with 3500 mi. on the clock. The 2001 FZ1 I just picked in January is black in color and rounds out the fleet for now. It is heavily modded, of course, and reminds me (as it should), of the 2006 Yellow and Black Kenny Robert's Special Anniversary Edition Yamaha R1 that I just sold last fall. The R1 was awesome but, the riding position was killing this old man after only 30-min. of hanging on. I also just recently sold a 2000 Honda Gold Wing SE with 11K. mi. on the clock. It rode great, but, alas, not enough action. Enter the FZ with the upright riding position and that all important SPEED ! Now we're talking.
    I also RACED experimental airplanes up until last year. But, that' s another story. . . . .
    Last edited by pilot8127; 02-02-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: correction
    You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it.

Well, it seems like bikes have always been around, from sitting on the petrol tank of Dads Tiger cub (Triumph!) while he rode up the street...me maybe about 3 years old. Then riding up back on his Triton when a youngster. (Triton= Norton featherbed frame with TriumphBonneville motor, they were interchangeable)
    My 1st bike was always inevitable, if not too exciting, but hey, it had 2 wheels and a motor! A Garelli 49cc step through with motocross bar conversion. Wow!! But a great learning curve as 14 year old playing on waste land. Countless bruises and offs but great fun.
    At 16 a Honda SS50. A bit slow, so a visit to amates bike shop saw a 72cc top end fitted. Much better, lol.

After that I was seriously misled (cars!)

But the bug never went away and 1990 saw me with Kwak kh125 learner legal bike and L plates. Soon followed by Z550 kwaker with Yosho 4-1 pipes. It sounded awesome.
    My wife, being young and easily persuaded in to things (those were the days!!) agreed to a bike holiday. Bril. So the next purchase was a monster Suzuki gsxr1100f with elec screen and full givi luggage. A well used but good example, stonking motor...stinking handling!
    After the France trip my wifec wouldnt get back on a bike so the hunk was sold and a VFR750 purchased. Bright red on an F plate. Never forget the numbers (F)666---. Seriously I never even noticed until the missus pointed it out one day.
    Cant remeber how it came to be sold but that was followed up by a fzr600 genesis.
    Then sold and a short lay off....but the bug never left. Every summer day when out in the car or in earshot of an inline 4, I was thinking about bikes. And for once, a little while later.... the tax man was nice, with tax rebate cheque for £2500. It didnt have enough time to clear at the back before a used fzr1000 was bought, pre exup. By fek that thing was quick. Too quick. Frightened me to death the speed it hit bends at, and me not having the skill to get that old barge around corners. It ahd to go.
    And that was that. Again, for a few years. So I thought.
    Then the bro in law asked if he could keep his newly aquired vfr400 (around year2000) in the garage while he worked on it as he was short of space. Why not? Of course once the bike was sorted it would be rude not to accept the offered test ride...right? Like I said to him it would be boring, being a 400 and all. Hmmm. Never been more wrong. I didnt need to speak when I got back from the ride, not with a smile that wide! Soooo, a 2nd hand imported VFR in red, white blue was purcased. What an amazing bit of kit. It gave so much control and confidence. From a timid wont lead rider to a wtf was that noise, oh, the pegs!!? Defo a bike to learn to go quick on. Ran that bike for a year, scrubbed a set of tyres off it then found my ride outs always seemed to have an incident of some sort. and after looking at a photo I had just taken of my 4year old son sat on the bike thought; What if? So again the bike was sold, for good this time. Heard that before?
    Another tax rebate in 06/07 saw money in the pocket again, dont worry, the tax man has made up for it! A visit to the local bike shops to just browse may not have been the best idea, ahem. Anyways, you can work out now what was going to happen; a loveley, mint, low miles SRAD gsxr750 in black/red/silver was up for silly cheap money. Complete with carbon can. Boy was that thing was mad. So mad that I sold it. and bought an R6.
    But the R6 struggled to stay with the big boys on ride outs unless screwing the kn#####s off it. Mechanical sympathy (excuse) meant that the only thing left to do was change the bike for an R1. hehehehe.
    The R1 was used to tour France in 08 and all told I racked up 12k miles on it, the most I had ever put on a bike. But an old car crash injury meant severe pain in the shoulder after only 4 days in france. By the end of the week sheer agony. So another change was due..
    Which brings about the Fz1s in late 08. Used to tour Austria and done 10 k miles on it last year. The best bike ever owned? Maybe, depends how you judge it. The R1 could be quicker, once up to prison speeds, was maybe slightly more stable at insane speeds as well BUT, get on a country road or unkown road the FZ1 is more useable. + I can do 10 days in row of 200-500 mile days and not be in agony. Looks like I have finaly found my long termer. And it looks like biking and me will be long termers to.:tup:

Aways wanted to ride, never had friends/family that did. When I was 45, my mother-in-law died at the age of 61 with WAY too many of her life's ambitions undone, and we decided to learn to ride, and not have "always wanted to."

Took the MSF course in 2003, and bought an 86 Honda Shadow 500, and a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100. Very shortly bought a 03 Yamaha V-Star for my partner (who is inseam challenged, and the V-Star lets her flat foot at stops) and sold the 500. We rode those machines for about 4 years, putting 20K miles on the Shadow Spirit. When Karyn said I needed a bike with more power (!) I bought a Yamaha V-Star 1300. YAY!!

After our second long (2K mile ride) Karyn wanted to know why some other riders had easier times on some of the roads, and a long discussion about bike dynamics, styles and the like ensued. The long and short of that was we bought the FZ1 last October, and Karyn loves it.

I love riding; it gives me a freedom and an experience that brings everything that I thought that it would. We travel, camp, and have some longer trips scheduled later this year.

10-21-13: Karyn has bailed on the FZ1, forsaking it for an FJR. I now ride the FZ1 full time, and love it. I have put about 9K miles on it in the past couple of years, and have plans for many, many more!
    Last edited by Ally House; 10-21-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Add info
    'Those who prefer safety to liberty deserve neither' Thomas Jefferson