Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

acr (OP)

Default luggage suggestions

Hi all,

I'm picking up a Gen II a few states away and riding it home. I'll be on the bike for close to a week, so I need to set it up with some luggage. Ideally, I'd like to get a rear rack that I can strap a dry bag to, and then set up some soft saddlebags. My questions are these:

1. What racks are there that would work on the FZ1 Gen II? There are a few cheap ones on ebay. Are they viable? I don't need a giant platform or to be compatible with a top box, just something that I can attach straps to.

2. What saddle bag systems work well? The SW-MOTECH Blaze bags seem like a nice but expensive way to go. Any other recommendations?

thanks,

You can get a tailbag that holds enough for a week and just strap it to the pillion seat and rear fender.

I went the softbag route when I first got the FZ1 and realized that they; are not very large, won't hold a helmet, no locks, wobbles on bike, scuffs up the paint, isn't waterproof. Since I was using it for commuting over the weekends I needed a more stable and better system.

I decided on the GIVI top and side case racks and V35 side cases which solved every issue I had with the softbags. Yes it cost a lot more but in my opinion it's worth it. BTW you have to cut the rear underpanel to fit the top rack. I have the detatchable side racks.

You can save a few $ by buying SHAD racks and cases. These are made in Spain whereas GIVI is Italian (pricey) and SW Motech is German (priciest)
    Last edited by OldBiker; 06-20-2019 at 05:07 AM.

you'd be surprised how much stuff can fit in a tank bag. i've done many trips with just a tank bag, all you need is a few pairs of socks, underwear and a spare shirt or two, toothbrush, small can of plexus and microfiber towel for your visor and a small can of wd40 to soak the chain with every other gas stop.

acr (OP)

Thanks for the info! I'l post back when I settle on what is going to work.