Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Product for the Gen2

Hi guys - Over the past few months, I've been working on a new product for the Gen2 FZ1, and I'm getting very close to being ready to launching it. Even before having a Gen2, I never liked the options available for mirror block off plates on the Gen2. They all were compromises based on time, ability or cost. I wanted to change that...So when I picked up my own '09 at the end of last season, I figured this would be a good project that would intersect two areas of my life I feel passionate about: 3d design, and FZ's.

I'm an engineer by day...I design custom plastic packaging for consumer goods using Solidworks. Because of work...I've got some fun toys to play with AT work. Before Christmas this year, I brought in a spare fairing for a new-to-me Gen2, and scanned it into 3d. From there I designed up my first prototype. I ordered a print online, and basically let it sit over winter. The garage gold cold in northern Illinois, and I didn't do anything with the project.

In mid-February, I got a chance to travel for work, and ended up at Solidworks World 2019, in Dallas Texas. Basically a nerd convention for 6 thousand plus solidworks users. There, I got to talk to some people in industry, and that spurred an interest in getting this project going again. A few weeks later, after waiting for a 'friend of a friend' to finish up a 3d print of versions 2 and 3 of my block off plugs....I got those parts and immediately worked all night to make version 4. I probably put 10 or so hours on v.4.....and now I have THOSE parts in hand. Overall I'm incredibly happy with what I've got so far....but I'd like to modify one more surface before I release anything, possibly to sell.

I've been getting my online prints from Shapeways.com and have used this site for previous projects, including my own turn signal adapter plates for my gen1 FZ.

At any rate, I wanted to share over here on this forum. I've got a thread going over on the 'other' page too, if you'd like to see a bit more history of what I'm up to.

Cheers
    mark

Here's my solidworks screen, showing a scanned fairing, and my mirror block off form...

and here's a few pictures of the latest version, v.4:

Edit: apparently that was my first post here. Been around since 2015 or so, but registered in '16. Cheers.

Looks good. How are they being held in place?

Quote Originally Posted by banzai View Post
    Looks good. How are they being held in place?
    I'm thinking they'll have to be epoxied in place. The printed material won't be threadable, and there's not enough 'height' there to make a threaded insert worthwhile.....

Quote Originally Posted by jointbeaker View Post
    I'm thinking they'll have to be epoxied in place. The printed material won't be threadable, and there's not enough 'height' there to make a threaded insert worthwhile.....
    All purposes plumbers silicone will hold them firmly in place and allow for future removal if needed.

Boy, you do some amazing work there. Granted I'm not a 3D cad/solidworks user so this stuff is awesome to me. I am personally very interested in this being as I might wanna get bar and mirrors and keep the fairing. I do have some questions for you and would personally like to talk to you iver messages or email or even phone if that's okay. I'm a person who has a lot to say where my fingers/thumbs wouldn't allow me to get everything across but emails would be perfect. Please keep us up to date and if you wouldn't mind I'd like to talk to you direct if I can.

Any idea when these could be available?

Quote Originally Posted by NuuAgeSlim View Post
    Hey NuuAge - They're available now. I posted a sellers page just last night.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NJ...ionId=94861916

Let me know if you have questions. Feel free to send me an email @ '[email protected]' and I'll get ya some answers.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by NuuAgeSlim View Post
    Boy, you do some amazing work there. Granted I'm not a 3D cad/solidworks user so this stuff is awesome to me. I am personally very interested in this being as I might wanna get bar and mirrors and keep the fairing. I do have some questions for you and would personally like to talk to you iver messages or email or even phone if that's okay. I'm a person who has a lot to say where my fingers/thumbs wouldn't allow me to get everything across but emails would be perfect. Please keep us up to date and if you wouldn't mind I'd like to talk to you direct if I can.

They're available now.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NJ...ionId=94861916

Send me a message at [email protected] if I can help ya with any questions. I'd be happy to chat over email.

Cheers.

We've still got Introductory pricing on the new Mirror Eliminators thru the end of April. Starting at $37.99 available HERE:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NJ...li=marketplace

I've been updating my thread on the other forum when I have new information or photos to share. That thread is here:

Lennon's Mirror Eliminators - Gen2 FZ1 - FZ1OA Message Board

Let me know if you may have questions. Cheers.

Got a few customer photos of painted mirror eliminators....They turned out great. See below.

Intro pricing is still going on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Product for the Gen2-qqojldx.jpg