Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Cruise Control

Blanchy (OP)

Honestly can't recall?
    09 FZ1S Retro Kit, Fender Elimin, Watsen Design Fr Sigs, Led Int Tail/Turn Smoke, FZ8 Bars, EvoTech Exh Hanger, CF Heal Pads and Chain guard. Bar End Mirrors. Edrive Spoiler. Shorty Billet Levers. Gipro X Integ' Gear Pos Ind Goodridge Braided Brake Lines. Odax Tach Dial, Top Sellerie Seat, CF Fenda Extenda, Yoshi Full R77 Carbon Sys, Graves Smog Plates, PCV & Autotune, Heated Grips, Ivanised ECU, Ohlins Shock.R1 Forks AK20 Carts, Rostra Cruise Control, Quick Shifter

I'll update on my progress, but I think i have a concept that will pan out really nicely. Basically rather than act on the throttle directly I'm making a actuator that bolts to the throttle body bolt just above, as well as the throttle cable clamp. It creates a pivot point to the left of the throttle, with a arm that can push the real throttle from behind.

I find that cruising at 80mph the most the throttle is pulled is about 1/8" of length at the grip diameter. Basically, 10% of the throttle travel. So this new lever arm will probably only be capable of rotating the throttle 30% as I try to maximize the lever arm. I think the most leverage you get going under that throttle bracket brace is 1.5", but I think I can get 2.125 out of this other method. The upside will be that when the throttle is pulled while the cruise is on (or off) it isn't even moving the cruise cable....I do this by making the cruise arm only capable of pushing from the back side, and when it's off it's nicely pulled back and never comes into play at all.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so I'll get something up shortly if I really think I'm on to something. The cool thing is I think all this can be done without even removing the current throttle cables, not that that's an issue, LOL. basically if this works out I can't see the down side yet....except I will probably have to shorten the rostra cable end just because I want to fasten everything to this new bracket. Basically the rostra will only stroke about 1" tops, but considering I believe that it should still be capable of cruising at speeds far over our speed limits I don't think I care. My other desire is to see if I can get this system to cruise at speeds even lower than 55, just for the challenge. And even in the unlikely even that the rostra freaked out the most it could do is say 30% throttle depending on how I decide to hard stop it...it still would freak me out too, but I think this is heading towards a safer solution.

The framework bracket is a bit transparent, so you can see what's going on inside
    Cruise Control-concept.jpg
    Last edited by SkidPants; 07-03-2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: added picture

Blanchy (OP)

Cables can stay in place. Just remove the 10mm nut off the flat sided shaft. use the flats to key in your actuator. You got a 3D printer? That would be fun
    09 FZ1S Retro Kit, Fender Elimin, Watsen Design Fr Sigs, Led Int Tail/Turn Smoke, FZ8 Bars, EvoTech Exh Hanger, CF Heal Pads and Chain guard. Bar End Mirrors. Edrive Spoiler. Shorty Billet Levers. Gipro X Integ' Gear Pos Ind Goodridge Braided Brake Lines. Odax Tach Dial, Top Sellerie Seat, CF Fenda Extenda, Yoshi Full R77 Carbon Sys, Graves Smog Plates, PCV & Autotune, Heated Grips, Ivanised ECU, Ohlins Shock.R1 Forks AK20 Carts, Rostra Cruise Control, Quick Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Blanchy View Post
    Cables can stay in place. Just remove the 10mm nut off the flat sided shaft. use the flats to key in your actuator. You got a 3D printer? That would be fun
    No 3d printer, I'll just print it 1:1 and do my best to scribe it on an aluminum sheet, bend in a vice...

Ok, this is my first pass, I'm still optimistic. I think I can make it simpler, so I'll remake the outer bracket.

Cruise Control-15307419367421945093770.jpg
    Last edited by SkidPants; 07-04-2018 at 04:47 PM. Reason: added picture

Here is my second pass, I like how it feels. I have extended it so it hits the throttle body. Any twisting action the throttle does simply tries to rotate it into the body so I think the single bolt is sufficient.

Cruise Control-15307472707201945093770.jpg
    Last edited by SkidPants; 07-04-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Any more updates? I'd love to add cruise to my bike this winter

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk