Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Cruise Control

I was very careful with the cable slack so I think/hope I have that part correct. I will try to get a look at my settings again (when I can find) them and post them up. A pain to access the box but I need to change it, so I will bite the bullet and open it up when I get home.

Cruise Control-20180522_171329.jpgCruise Control-20180522_172022.jpg
    I finally managed to get the settings from my Rostra and pulse divider.
    Rostra. 1)off 2)off 3)off 4)on 5)on 6)on 7)on 8)off 9)off 10)on 11)off 12)off
    Divider divide by 2

Is this close to what you have Blanchy?

Thanks
    Tom

Blanchy (OP)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post
    Cruise Control-20180522_171329.jpgCruise Control-20180522_172022.jpg
    I finally managed to get the settings from my Rostra and pulse divider.
    Rostra. 1)off 2)off 3)off 4)on 5)on 6)on 7)on 8)off 9)off 10)on 11)off 12)off
    Divider divide by 2

Is this close to what you have Blanchy?

Thanks
    Tom
    All but 7,8 & 9 Mine set to V8 low to take some sensitivity off, I figure a V8 will require a lot less throttle movement/speed than say a 1.6l car to keep speed constant so I have 7 8 & 9 set off
    Last edited by Blanchy; 06-10-2018 at 07:11 PM.
    09 FZ1S Retro Kit, Fender Elimin, Watsen Design Fr Sigs, Led Int Tail/Turn Smoke, FZ8 Bars, EvoTech Exh Hanger, CF Heal Pads and Chain guard. Bar End Mirrors. Edrive Spoiler. Shorty Billet Levers. Gipro X Integ' Gear Pos Ind Goodridge Braided Brake Lines. Odax Tach Dial, Top Sellerie Seat, CF Fenda Extenda, Yoshi Full R77 Carbon Sys, Graves Smog Plates, PCV & Autotune, Heated Grips, Ivanised ECU, Ohlins Shock.R1 Forks AK20 Carts, Rostra Cruise Control, Quick Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Blanchy View Post
    All but 7,8 & 9 Mine set to V8 low to take some sensitivity off, I figure a V8 will require a lot less throttle movement/speed than say a 1.6l car to keep speed constant so I have 7 8 & 9 set off
    Blanchy and Thomas, I just joined, purchased my 14 fz1 this spring and am getting ready to put the Rostra cruise control on. I have a few questions:

1) Did you guys put your module in the exup location? I find that a bit tight, and with a little work I can put it flush under the passenger seat neatly in the rectangular hole already present. I guess I need to check that the passenger seat will go down with it there though.
    2) If you did put it into the exup area, what did you move? brake reservoir?
    3) I don't understand where you are setting your slack in the cable. I was going to mount a fz6 throttle bracket flush against the stock one to mount the cruise cable end, and I was even going to eliminate the need for the ball chain connector by making my own t-bar end on the Rostra cable end. Is this a problem?

To summarize what I think I've found:
    * VSS pulses at 55000 per mile, so you used a divider in half. I have yet to get this component so I'll be curious how you set the division.

I have not actually ordered my Rostra yet as I have been wanting to be certain I can get this done before I do this...
    Do any of you have pictures or written down the wire colors and locations that you found best to tap into?

Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by SkidPants; 06-29-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Blanchy (OP)

Quote Originally Posted by SkidPants View Post
    Blanchy and Thomas, I just joined, purchased my 14 fz1 this spring and am getting ready to put the Rostra cruise control on. I have a few questions:

1) Did you guys put your module in the exup location? I find that a bit tight, and with a little work I can put it flush under the passenger seat neatly in the rectangular hole already present. I guess I need to check that the passenger seat will go down with it there though.
    2) If you did put it into the exup area, what did you move? brake reservoir?
    3) I don't understand where you are setting your slack in the cable. I was going to mount a fz6 throttle bracket flush against the stock one to mount the cruise cable end, and I was even going to eliminate the need for the ball chain connector by making my own t-bar end on the Rostra cable end. Is this a problem?

To summarize what I think I've found:
    * VSS pulses at 55000 per mile, so you used a divider in half. I have yet to get this component so I'll be curious how you set the division.

I have not actually ordered my Rostra yet as I have been wanting to be certain I can get this done before I do this...
    Do any of you have pictures or written down the wire colors and locations that you found best to tap into?

Thanks for the info!
    I put mine in upside down in the exup spot. perfect fit. The slack I set where the cable exits the Rostra unit, slacken the torx screws on the cable "boss" and measure the gap there with a finger on the throttles to check for movement. I connected mine to a crank off the side of the throttle wheel, as I wanted to make it as long as possible to reduce sensitivity. I went with a screw tapped through the crank and lock nut on the back. The screw goes through the eyelet on the end of the cable, not chain bits needed. There are so many wires, I'm not going to try and step anyone through it. Couple of things No LED Tail/stop light unless you want more wiring. To get the lights to work on the control unit, it is a switched earth/ground so you supply power to the control unit and the wire from the "Servo?" will ground when activated. Had me confused.
    09 FZ1S Retro Kit, Fender Elimin, Watsen Design Fr Sigs, Led Int Tail/Turn Smoke, FZ8 Bars, EvoTech Exh Hanger, CF Heal Pads and Chain guard. Bar End Mirrors. Edrive Spoiler. Shorty Billet Levers. Gipro X Integ' Gear Pos Ind Goodridge Braided Brake Lines. Odax Tach Dial, Top Sellerie Seat, CF Fenda Extenda, Yoshi Full R77 Carbon Sys, Graves Smog Plates, PCV & Autotune, Heated Grips, Ivanised ECU, Ohlins Shock.R1 Forks AK20 Carts, Rostra Cruise Control, Quick Shifter

Ok, that's fine, I just wanted to know if you had detailed the procedure where I could find it. The bike already had the LED lights so the relay is mandatory... I'll give the servo in the exup cavity another shot, I have a junk rostra to fiddle with.

Blanchy (OP)

Quote Originally Posted by SkidPants View Post
    Ok, that's fine, I just wanted to know if you had detailed the procedure where I could find it. The bike already had the LED lights so the relay is mandatory... I'll give the servo in the exup cavity another shot, I have a junk rostra to fiddle with.
    Insert from the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanchy View Post
    Insert from the front.
    Yep, I had yet to lift the tank up, it fit in just as you said, but a bolt coming up from the bottom plate might get cut down so I can slide it back another half inch, and there is a sheet bracket just under the clip for the battery tie down strap that could go away...not sure what that was for, I removed the exup servo but the other owner had disconnected it so may there was something else that utilized it once.

I think I have everything in order now, ordered the 250-1223 rostra kit, I already have a relay, and a Centrodyne Z063 Speed Signal Divider (Some guys had issues with the divide by 4 rostra version and this one has multiple options for the same price...not that I doubt your 55000 pulses But I'm always doubtful I guess. I'm surprised to see such a varied pulse rate even from Yamaha. Maybe this is just the result of differently geared bikes? Since the pickup sounds like it's installed in the transmission and not one of the wheels, I'm curious, guys that change out sprockets must have to fix their speedometer I would think.

Does Rostra limit your cruise setting to any speed? Or can you even set it at 35mph if you had the unlikely desire to do so?

Another thing I have just measured is the throttle body stroke, appears the that is only around 1-1/8, near the minimum the rostra desires, so I see the need for a different location. The fz6 bracket is probably the same diameter, just mirrored. So I did a quick aluminum prototype and this one as it sits appears to get right near the 1.625" the rostra can handle, I personally want to be just under this. I will probably move the offset closer to the throttle stop and put the cruise connection on this side of that bracket. I did manage to make the hole slotted in that by the way
    Cruise Control-20180630_114958.jpg
    Kurt
    Last edited by SkidPants; 06-30-2018 at 09:13 AM. Reason: added picture

Blanchy (OP)

Min speed for steady cruise is about 90kph 53mph? Below that its unreliable. Get the stroke as long as possible. Mine was only restricted by the throttle body bracing. PPM was advised by Norbert at Heal Tech that do Speedo Healers he also advised cruise to be wired in before the Speedo Healer.

One more thing, does your cruise cable manage to retract into it's sheath when you pull the throttle back? I notice some people zip tie the cruise cable to the throttle cable to assist it in the right direction, but you have to keep the cables really close to allow that to happen. I'm positive that my original idea of using the fz6 throttle rotatory will by design push the cruise cable out into a loop when it doesn't have any tension on it.