Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    FZ1inTX (OP)
    Adminstrator Pod Mod - Lights! FZ1inTX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Pod Mod - Lights!

I've seen a few people doing this on the FZ6 forum and decided I wanted to add some visibility to the FZ1. The folks on non-US bikes pretty much have this luxury already but we do not. The Pod Lights.

I stopped over to Auto Zone and picked up the Jam Straight 194A 4 LED lights and some simple 194 sockets.

I also picked up at the Home Depot a step drill bit.

After removing the inner fairings from both sides, I had easy access to the plugged area where the pod lights go. There is a small "nipple" (if you will) that I took a pair of flush cut nippers and clipped off until the area was flat.

I then used the step drill to carefully drill this area to the 3/4" mark to create the socket hole.

The sockets needed a little trimmed off as two of the four clips had a small ear of plastic that wouldn't allow the sockets to snap into place. Here is one trimmed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pod Mod - Lights!-dsc06381.jpg   Pod Mod - Lights!-dsc06386.jpg   Pod Mod - Lights!-dsc06390.jpg   Pod Mod - Lights!-dsc06392.jpg   Pod Mod - Lights!-dsc06395.jpg  

Pod Mod - Lights!-dsc06400.jpg   Pod Mod - Lights!-dsc06406.jpg   Pod Mod - Lights!-dsc06410.jpg   Pod Mod - Lights!-dsc06411.jpg  
    Last edited by FZ1inTX; 04-07-2017 at 07:12 AM.

FZ1inTX (OP)
    Blog Entries

I removed the front turn signals and after testing for running HOT and signal HOT, I found the two I wanted. The left signal is brown to brown and blue to black(194 socket wire). The right signal was green to brown and blue to black.

NOTE!!! Make SURE you have the signal locking plate on the wire and in the correct direction BEFORE soldering! I missed this on the left signal, had to unsolder, put it on and re-solder. DOH!

Here's one signal and the wires tinned for soldering.

Here's the signal and socket soldered together.

You can easily push the new 194 socket and signal lock plate through the fairing opening so no worries about it getting back on the bike. Here's a pic of one side installed.

After securing all the wiring, and installing the fairing, you end up with this. The Pod LED lights are running lights with the signals. When you signal to turn, the stock signal and your new LED Pod light alternate signals. Here's an after shot.
    Last edited by FZ1inTX; 04-07-2017 at 07:15 AM.

FZ1inTX (OP)
    Blog Entries

Default Short video of the signals

Uploaded a short video to Youtube showing the signals working. I like this mod! Cheap and simple!

Last edited by FZ1inTX; 04-07-2017 at 07:16 AM.

Beautiful job! They look great and operate perfectly. Don't have that on the GenI bikes I believe.
    Billy
    2009 FZ1 Cobalt Blue, Dynojet PCV, Ivan's ECU Flash, Two Brother's V.A.L.E. Carbon Fiber Slip-on, Dirt Road Custom Seat, M-Factory Shorty Levers, Frame Sliders, Swingarm Spools, BBS Gold Colored Wheels, GYTR Braided Lines, Philips Extreme Vision H4 Bulbs

FZ1inTX (OP)
    Blog Entries

Less than $20 bucks... Does the GEN I have the Pod Light sockets (plugged)?

Autozone = (2) License side marker sockets from Conduct-Tite Part# 85814 $3.99 each
    (1) jamstrait hyper-bright 4 led 194A bulbs(amber), $10.49 for a two pack... $18.47 Total.

This is one of the simplest mods I've done. But, I did get a few shavings into the pods so I need to get a small tube to hook to the vacuum up to it and get them out.

Quote Originally Posted by FZ1inNH View Post
    Less than $20 bucks... Does the GEN I have the Pod Light sockets (plugged)?
    I'm gonna have to go down this morning at check that out.
    Billy
    2009 FZ1 Cobalt Blue, Dynojet PCV, Ivan's ECU Flash, Two Brother's V.A.L.E. Carbon Fiber Slip-on, Dirt Road Custom Seat, M-Factory Shorty Levers, Frame Sliders, Swingarm Spools, BBS Gold Colored Wheels, GYTR Braided Lines, Philips Extreme Vision H4 Bulbs

You did an outstanding job. It looks like it could be a standard issue item from outside. My wife's Toyota Rav4 has the exact same treatment on the headlights (from the factory). Looks very professional.

WOW, great mod, thanx for sharing. Guess I'm off to Autozone today

Stihl Loves Trees Pod Mod - Lights! BroHay's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is a pod light available for the gen I.....

GEN I Light Pod Kit
    Last edited by BroHay; 07-26-2009 at 05:41 AM.
    It is going to take grit, spit, and lots of duct tape...

Thumbs up

Great job! Looks very factory and the price is great. Definitely will get around to doing this one of these rainy weekends.