Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Default 03 FZ1 coolant leak

Hey guys,

My friend's bike (an 03 FZ1) was smoking the other day and we could see coolant dripping from the bottom of the engine casing onto the top of the exhaust where the headers merge. The leak appeared to be emanating from the bottom of the engine case. After taking the exhaust off, I found a port on the bottom of the case where the coolant seemed to be coming from. I cleaned it off to see if I could reveal a bolt head, but in doing so, I realized that there's just an open hole there. I can stick a small diameter metal rod up into the hole for a few inches before it hits something. Is there supposed to be a bolt in this hole, and what is this hole for? I looked at a bunch of parts diagrams but none of them mentioned what that hole was for.
    I posted a few pics, hopefully those help to better identify the location.
    03 FZ1 coolant leak-20180818_161813.jpg
    03 FZ1 coolant leak-output.jpg03 FZ1 coolant leak-inked20180818_161908_li.jpg
    Last edited by 03fz; 08-19-2018 at 12:12 AM.

What about it? Is that hole in the bottom of the engine case somehow connected to it?

That's where coolant comes out if it gets past the seal.
    Otherwise, it could get mixed with the engine oil.

Yea. Just google fz1 water pump failure. You will see plenty of write ups as to how to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Holeshot performance AIS removal kit, stage 2 carb kit, steering stabilizer. 12oclock labs speedo healer. Pipewerx slip on. R6 shock mod. R1 shift mod. EBC clutch springs. +2 rear sprocket. Renthal straight bars.

Gotcha. I looked at the videos, doesn't seem like too big of a deal. Thanks for the direction

Let us know how that ďnot too big of a dealĒ works out for you. Iíve done this job twice now on my Ď02. Itís not rocket science but itís not a 2 beer job either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk