Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clunking sound while turning over manually

When turning over my 2009 FZ1 motor slowly by hand (at the crank end using a hand tool) there's a clunk you can both hear and feel. I know the timing chain is kind of lose, but I don't know if this could cause it.

I was reading another blog (on a different model) and the counter-balancing shaft gear was mentioned.

I was told by mechanic that this could lead to engine seizure at any time (dangerous) or, that it could go another 50,000 miles with no problem (this seemed like conflicting recommendation from the mechanic). I'd love to try his suggestion it will go another 50,000 mi., but I am concerned about the rider-safety of an engine seizure.

Does anybody have any suggestions of what this could be for someone who has already paid $400 to have this looked at and being told any further diagnosis would be much more expensive? I bought this bike because I don't have much money.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Esteban
    Last edited by Esteban Gumbo; 11-12-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Threadhead Clunking sound while turning over manually lytehouse's Avatar

It may take a little while, but hopefully one of our members can help you

and
    Have you ever noticed that anybody riding slower than you is an idiot,
    and anyone riding faster than you is a maniac? ~ George Carlin

Thanks, Lytehouse. I hope someone picks up on this and knows something helpful. Could you tell me if there's a better way of reaching folks than in this technical blog?

Quote Originally Posted by Esteban Gumbo View Post
    Thanks, Lytehouse. I hope someone picks up on this and knows something helpful. Could you tell me if there's a better way of reaching folks than in this technical blog?
    Do you hear anything while it's running? Any engine has clearance between the bearings and the crankshaft that is filled with oil when it's running, that may be what you're hearing. If it's quiet when it's running, I probably wouldn't worry about it.
    Don't think a gen 2 has a balance shaft, I know for sure a gen one doesn't.
    It could possibly be the magnets coming loose in the stator, gen 2's are famous for that. But you should be hearing something when it's running if that has happened.
    How long have you owned this bike? Can you post a video? As is, we don't have much to go on.
    Last edited by justpassinthru; 11-17-2018 at 08:03 AM.

justpassinthru: Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you... I will gather some info and get back to you. ASAP. V/r, Esteban Gumbo

Exclamation Clunking Sound Videos

It's a 2009 FZ1, so it's a gen 2. The engine sounds fine when it's running. It's just when you turn it by hand. This is what the mechanic told me. I've not actually heard it myself. He said it could lock up catastrophically. It's my girlfriend's bike and I'm trying to help her with it, actually. I have a couple of short video's that will show the problem exactly. It may take me a few minutes to get them loaded. Please stand by.

I tried loading the video files but the application says it does not support the file format, which is .3gp

Can anybody help me out? How can I get my videos uploaded? Which file formats are supported?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Esteban Gumbo; 11-27-2018 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Adding 2 Videos

Does it do this with the clutch pulled in?

Has the Stator been replaced previously?

which side of the engine is this coming from?

There are lots of things this could be.
    Mods:
    Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Does it do this with the clutch pulled in?

Has the Stator been replaced previously?

which side of the engine is this coming from?

There are lots of things this could be.

The engine was not running. The mechanic turned the crank by hand with a wrench on the left side of the engine, while the transmission was in neutral. The sound was like that of a continuous clunk-clunk-clunk. It was not noticeable with the engine running. The mechanic is very experienced, and said the engine was in danger of possibly seizing up, based on this noise, which he said he could not pinpoint. He said to pinpoint it would cost another $400+ to disassemble the engine and find the problem. No offense to the mechanic, but that just sounded too drastic, and we don't have that kind of money.

I was hoping that someone with some previous experience with this problem might be able to shed some light on it.

I greatly appreciate your interest in this issue. Every time someone asks a question this problem gets better defined. I have two short videos that I would like to upload but as I mentioned above, the system keeps telling me it does not recognize the 3gp file format.

Upload the videos to youtube (or similar) and then copy the URL to the youtube video here.

The other FZ1 forum has a lot more daily traffic than this one, you might find an answer on that forum quicker than here. Most users here are also over there.
    Mods:
    Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain

You said "it would cost another $400+"

What has been done to the bike already by this guy?
    Last edited by justpassinthru; 11-30-2018 at 05:28 AM.