Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default intermittent fault code 20 & engine light

FZ1-S: [2006] mods; PC3, META alarm, Carbon Can Co. slip-on [mapped PC3]

An appeal to all you good and 'experienced' bikers out there - I'm exasperated!

My Yam engine light comes on without any rhyme or reason [giving error code 20 - 'intake temperature/atmospheric pressure' symptom].

However, I have checked the resistance of both sensors and they are in sync [same reading - so no disparity] therefore no reason for electronics to record a problem. Also checked for kinks and blockages - nothing!

Bike goes like a rocket when opening up the throttle but when idling with 'engine light' on, is a little lumpy.

Can't work it out or resolve the problem - any help will be appreciated.

Cheers to you all

Adminstrator intermittent fault code 20 & engine light FZ1inTX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Have you tried clearing the error code? I had the same instance and discovered the error code, tested the sensor and put it back in. Same symptoms. It was then that I spoke to a Yamaha tech who explained that once a code is thrown, the ECU ignores the sensor and treats it as faulty until you replace it (if needed) and then clear the error code. Even with a new sensor, so long as the error code exists, it will remain faulted. Clear your codes and re-try the bike. If you have the service manual, it is outlined in there but somewhere he in the forum, I've also typed out the steps... I'll find that and update this message.

Found it:

Be SURE you have the kill switch in the off/kill position when you go to diag mode!!!!! Having the kill switch to run will erase the codes when you reach d61. Go to d61 to view your error codes, if any. Wait several seconds because if there are more than one, it will flash the codes individually every 2 seconds. Write them down and consult the manual for their meaning, then address them accordingly. Chapter 8-40 explains the procedure.
    Thus, in d61 with the kill switch in the off position, wait 10 seconds and write down any codes that come up. Flip the kill switch to the RUN position and it will clear the codes. Flip it back to OFF and turn the key off. Switch to RUN and start the bike. See if the code returns.
    Last edited by FZ1inTX; 10-27-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Default how to clear error codes ?

Hi, Im getting the same code when i put it in dealer mode. When i reach 61 it displays codes; 13, 22 and 30. How do i fix this or by pass them because i dont have an airbox installed. I just put filters on the throttles any advice would help thanks! The bike was in an accident but the engine and frame is good. The entire tank and airbox was destroyed so i just put filter no airbox on the throttles. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by fz1project11; 10-27-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FZ1inNH View Post
    Have you tried clearing the error code? I had the same instance and discovered the error code, tested the sensor and put it back in. Same symptoms. It was then that I spoke to a Yamaha tech who explained that once a code is thrown, the ECU ignores the sensor and treats it as faulty until you replace it (if needed) and then clear the error code. Even with a new sensor, so long as the error code exists, it will remain faulted. Clear your codes and re-try the bike. If you have the service manual, it is outlined in there but somewhere he in the forum, I've also typed out the steps... I'll find that and update this message.

Found it:

Thus, in d61 with the kill switch in the off position, wait 10 seconds and write down any codes that come up. Flip the kill switch to the RUN position and it will clear the codes. Flip it back to OFF and turn the key off. Switch to RUN and start the bike. See if the code returns.
    Thanks for your thorough and inciteful reply. I have done exactly as you have said - sadly, no joy. Engine light still on and error (or fault) code 20 still showing - indeed logging into the corresponding 'Diag' codes does not bring up any error codes [only on my digital display]?

I will once again check the two sensors in question and the relevant connections for good contacts and kinks etc.

If I solve the problem, I'll post it. Any other suggestions will be thankfully recieved.

Thanks again

After the bike warms up, turn the key to off, then turn it back to on and start the bike again.
    Does the code still show up?

And do you have an FCE?

If you go strictly by the manual, a 20 fault code means you have a atmosperic pressure sensor hose that is plugged. Intake air pressure sensor hose is plugged, kiked, or pinched. Malfunction of the atmospheric pressure sensor in the intermediate electrical potential. Malfunction of the intake pressure sensor in the intermediate electrical potential. Malfunction in ECU. Use diag code 02 and compare actually measured atmospheric pressure with the meter display. Go to diag code 03, set engine stop switch to run, then operate the throttle while pushing the start switch. If the display value changes, the performance is OK. Intake sensors can be tricky and sometimes accumulation of dirt can mess them up. I've found the best way to make an absolute test is to find a like vehicle and swap them out and see if that cures the problem. There verywell may be other Yamaha's that use the exact same sensors. I found on my Ford Focus that my Ford 450 in my RV had the same MAF sensor and when it failed in the Focus, I swapped it with the one in the 450 truck chasis and the problem cleared, then I went to the auto parts store and bought a new one. It still cost me $130 but at least I didn't start to spend bucks on sensors that may or may not have been the problem.
    What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
    Albert Pine.

Thanks again to all whom have made the effort to be helpful.

Found both atmospheric and air intake pressure senors to read 4.98 v [the spec. range is 3.75 - 4.25 v], so they are equalised but slightly out of spec.

After having lifted the tank and tested the pressure sensor along with checking the wiring couplings, I turned on ignition and lo-and-behold, no more engine light!

Also, the fuel pipe from the tank looked as if it had a little kink to it - so this possibly may have had a bearing on the problem?

It now remains to be seen whether or not the problem returns.

Will update if or when it does.

Thanks to all.

Adminstrator intermittent fault code 20 & engine light FZ1inTX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ken60 View Post
    Also, the fuel pipe from the tank looked as if it had a little kink to it - so this possibly may have had a bearing on the problem?
    The sensors are relatively cheap, thankfully! Check out Partshark.com and you can find them in the microfiche.

I've replaced my fuel line doing the suggested mod. I will be doing the same with my wife's FZ1 over the winter.

I intermittently get this exactly problem, usually when I am low on fuel and bike started when in side stand... If I turn it off, stand it up and start sometime it clears, either that or ride to the petrol station, fill up ten turn on it will clear. Very strange, but don't notice any change in performance or running characteristics.. Would be interesting to know what exactly it is!

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.192230,0.725424
    Member of the 1 litre club...

Quick update for people that may view this in the future.

Stripped the bike down to remove the FCE and found a loose connection where the cables are joined at the ECU plug (directly under the airbox). I re-crimped it and the fault has now gone. Fingers crossed