Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: Heated grips

Default Heated grips

Hello Guys:
    I just picked up some heated grips. Has anyone installed these before? I want to know the best wire to tap in to for the higher current draw. Please advise I have the GEN 1 machine.

I believe I would come straight from the battery or out of a power outlet straight from the battery.

It would need to be connected to the key switch in case they are left on it will drain the battery, I thought the starter wiring might be a good choice given the higher amp rating of this wire.

If you want the grips controlled by the ignition, you really should use an existing ignition powered circuit to energize the coil on a relay and run the power circuit for the grips through that relay.
    They will pull too much power to tap into any ignition controlled circuit and IMHO, should be connected at the battery through a fuse. Then when the ignition is turned on, the relay will pull in and put power to the grips.
    By using a relay, the only added load to the ignition circuit will be the coil on that relay which will be minimal.

Thanks justpassinthru, now I will just need have to find out how to wire in a relay to this circuit , should be a video on youtube showing how to do this. I already have a fused plug wire coming off the battery for a tender, perhaps I could integrate this wire for grips use as well, I love dual functionality.

https://www.delcity.net/images/lined...%20Diagram.pdf
    Numbers 85 and 86 are for the power and ground to energize the relay coil (doesn't matter which goes where), the 30 pin will be the power source from the battery and number 87 with be the power going to the grips. It's normally open and when the coil is energised it will close and put power to your grips.
    Last edited by justpassinthru; 12-06-2018 at 04:04 PM.