Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tommy's FZ1 '06 Build

Hello Guys,

Hereby an introduction of myself and the build of my FZ1 '06.

I'm Tom from Belgium, owned an Aprilia SXV 550, until I realized that it's not the right bike to do all sort of cruising or long distance riding (nor is it reliabale as a Japanses bike.)

So I sold it and didn't know what to buy next. My brother in law had an FZ1 from '06 but didn't want to sell it or replace his R6 with it. So I thought "why not, let see what it's like to drive one".

Tommy's FZ1 '06 Build-img_8253.jpg

I drove it the whole 2017 season, but I wasn't convinced of the bike. First step: put the suspension to stock settings, that was a little step forward. In the mean time my brother in law found a Yoshimura exhaust for a R1 on the his attic, so mounted this one the have a nicer sound.

Tommy's FZ1 '06 Build-img_9695.jpg

It's a little bit to long, but for a free mod, it's ok.

I still wasn't convinced of the driveability of the bike, specially for a 1000cc bike. Step 2 was: search the world wide web for info.

And I learned a lot! So winter was comming and it was time to do "round 1" of the upgrade story.

I took contact with Ivan to see what he could do for my ECU, long story explained short: the ECU is on it's way back from Ivan as we speak.
    Bought a PC V, K&N filter, Oxford heated grips, Ivan's block off valves & Healtech quickshifter / gear indicator / SpeedoHealer
    Did the famous airbox mod & removed the complete secondary air pump.
    Tommy's FZ1 '06 Build-img_9868.jpg
    Tommy's FZ1 '06 Build-img_9869.jpg
    Tommy's FZ1 '06 Build-img_9835.jpg

When the ECU will arrive, it's back to finishing the bike, uploading the PC map and I hope all the Healtech parts have arrived.

Next round will be suspension, but for he moment there are to much option so I have to dig deeper in to this topic.

I'm still thinking back and forward to make it a naked or not, ongoing topic on that side.

Congrats and welcome to the Forum!
    "When life throws you a curve...............................Slide forward, shift your weight to the inside peg, press the inside grip, set your apex and just roll on that throttle!"

Welcome Tom, and congrats on the FZ1. Just wait until you pop in that ECU. You will be quite surprised, pleasantly that is!
    Billy
    2009 FZ1 Cobalt Blue, Dynojet PCV, Ivan's ECU Flash, Two Brother's V.A.L.E. Carbon Fiber Slip-on, Dirt Road Custom Seat, M-Factory Shorty Levers, Frame Sliders, Swingarm Spools, BBS Gold Colored Wheels, GYTR Braided Lines, Philips Extreme Vision H4 Bulbs

Quote Originally Posted by FZ1riderNY View Post
    Welcome Tom, and congrats on the FZ1. Just wait until you pop in that ECU. You will be quite surprised, pleasantly that is!
    With all the info I've read on the forum, that made my decision easier to go for it. can't wait for the ECU and better weather!

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you are well on your way to a well sorted fz. One word of caution. Check the fit of that K&N filter. There were fitment issues on a lot of them. I switched mine due to the airbox not being able to close properly.
    Mods:
    Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain

Hello Dicko,

Thanks for the tip!. Today has arrived the Graves Velocity Stacks AND the ECU from Ivan's so finishing up time is comming closer!

Welcome!! Looking good!!
    2001 FZ1, 1999 ZRX1100, 2011 FJR1300

So, after receiving all the parts it was mounting time! I'm glad I bought everything together so I only had to remove everything once.

All the parts went in smoothly, cabling went nice and easy.

Tommy's FZ1 '06 Build-ios-upload-ma-8-jan.-2018-124102.jpg

I wanted to do a quick test ride yesterday to see if everything worked properly ... And yes it did!. What an amazing difference it is!

Thanks to this forum for the good comments on Ivan's ECU flash, it was well worth the effort. Thank you Ivan for the good care and all the info, what a difference.

So at this moment this is in place:

-Ivan's ECU Flash
    -PC V with Ivan's map on it
    -Ivan's AIR kit and removed the original system.
    -Graves Velocity Stacks
    -K&N air filter
    -Oxford Heated Grips
    -Healtech quickshifter
    -Healtech Gear indicator
    -Healtech Speedo Healer
    -Healtech shift light pro (still have to found a +12V and ground at the dashboard cluster)

This morning I took the bike to go to work (at 1,5C) and what a nice ride this was! I'm in love. Warm hands, a bike that is hanging on the throttle, rides smooth. What a joy!

The Healtech brake light pro still needs to be mounted and the Multi Meter 5 was broken due to shipment (I think) so a new one is on the way.

Next step I think will be the Cyclops LED bulbs and the Motodynamic rear light.

Than it's a deep study on suspension and brakes and see how we are going to do this.
    Last edited by Phanatic; 01-08-2018 at 04:09 AM.

Suspension - 2 options

1 - R1 swap out (need satans rear shock adapter and depending on what year R1 forks you may need axle, fender and brakes as well)

2 - Ohlins set up (you will need R1 fron fender, R1 brakes and R1 axle, you can get a rear Ohlins for the FZ1)

Brakes

there are a few options here as well, but I highly recommend that if you are going to change the suspension, go a later model R1 and switch to R1 front brakes as well.

R1 front brakes will require either a smaller 310mm rotor, or the 5mm spacers to shift the calipers out to fit the 320mm FZ rotors. I strongly recommend going braided lines as well.

I personally went with Ohlins suspension all round, R1 master cylinder and Brembo callipers, braided lines and run stock rear MC and caliper.

I also strongly recommend now that you have a PCV and Ivan's flash to get the bike professionally dynotuned for your specific bike. Ivan's map is good, but the one I had mapped for my bike is much better. All bikes are different and different fuels/climate also have an effect.

Have fun modding !!!
    Mods:
    Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain

Hello Dicko,

Thanks for the info.

Regarding the PC V, I've noticed that a lot of people indeed finetuned the map, so it's o my to do list to dyno the bike.

Regarding the suspension / brakes, I have to make up my mind if I go full Ohlins and Brembo spec (need so save a lot of money...) or source the best parts of a R1.

Budget wise I think I would go with looking for R1 parts, but you know, there is a devil on the left shoulder and an angel on the right shoulder talking in my ears...

And I must say, if I see this bike, I'm completely in love of this one:

Tommy's FZ1 '06 Build-13925751_310355092639874_4207731031657793475_o.jpg