Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Default Front axle special tool

I doubt you guys have the same tools in your garage that I do, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of this nonetheless.

My rear tire failed state inspection so I decided to get new rubbers all the way around, because I wanted to replace the rear with a Pilot Road 2 and I don't like to mismatch manufacturer's tires.

So of course, I set out to save bookoo money by pulling the wheel assemblies off and taking them to the shop instead of letting them charge me full price for R&R.

Back wheel comes off, no problem. I've done it before and I have all the tools. I go to get the front wheel off and I realize I don't have the huge allen type driver to remove the front axle. The biggest one I have is 17mm. So there I am, thinking I will either just take it to the dealer after all, or go and have to buy a special tool for $30 or $40, severely dipping into my new found savings.

BUT! I get to looking through my tool box when I realize I have this. A craftsman nut splitter and the part that you wrench on just happens to be the exact same size as the axle.

So I pull that threaded piece off and use a crescent wrench on the still exposed head to remove the axle, because I also don't have a wrench that big, and I don't have a deep well socket that is that size either.

Next, before going home with my new tires, I stop by Harbor Freight to get the proper socket or a crows foot so I can torque the bad boy back on. No go, the biggest they have is 17mm and only in complete sets. I get back home and realize that the threaded side fits completely into the axle.

Which allows me to do this, and put the torque wrench on there.

I couldn't believe my luck.

hahaha, in the words of the A-Team .............. "Don't you just love it when a plan comes together" !!!!!!!

Nice tale, and great pics for the full effect. Made for a good nite time read with my cup of tea and packet of chocolate biscuits !!!

Seth
    08 FZ1S DYNO'D @ 150+bhp, PCIII (WITH CUSTOM MAP), AIRBOX MOD, K&N AIR FILTER, AIS BLOCKOFF PLATES, REMOVED FLIES, GUTTED CAT, O2 SENSOR ELIMINATOR, LEO VINCE GP SLIP ON (WITHOUT BAFFLE),ARMSTRONG WAVEY FRONT DISCS, ILEX WAVEY REAR DISC, HEL BRAKE LINES, LUCAS TRW SHORT BRAKE & CLUTCH LEVERS, LUCAS TRW "BLACK EDITION" REARSETS, 6000K HID BIXENON HEADLIGHT KIT, RENTHAL BARS, GPR STEERING DAMPER, PIRELLI DIABLO ROSSO TYRES + LOTS & LOTS OF COSMETIC MODS.:nana:

If you flip a spark plug socket around it fits perfectly as well.
    LET'S RIDE!!!!

Two Brothers Carbon Fiber Exhaust/K&N Air Filter/K&N Oil Filter/Roth AIS Block off Plates/Roth Velocity Stacks/Modified Flies/LARS Airbox Mod/Custom Tail reducer, with LED carbon fiber signals/Pro Grip Gel grips/Gold Racing Pegs/Proton Flushmount signals/Carbon Fiber Kickplates, Gas Cap, and Brake cap/Shogun Carbon Fiber frame sliders, and swing arm sliders, HEL Braided brake lines/Dragon Brothers Levers

Quote Originally Posted by Missyl1713 View Post
    I tried that. Mine doesn't fit.

I looked around a little more and I see what you are talking about now. I thought you meant the spark plug tool that came in the under seat kit.

I am wondering if Yamaha intended for the spark plug tool to be used for the front axle, but that some were made improperly. Mine just barely does not fit by the slimmest of margins, and I have read of other people saying they use theirs. I should be able to take the grinder to it, and by just removing the slightest amount off the surfaces, it should work fit just fine. But I would need a crows foot to torque it.

Default Lol

I was doing the exact same process today: pulling wheels one at a time to take to the shop for mounting of the new Dunlop Q3+ tire. Saving money, right? Well the last guy who put the front wheel on tightened the front axle “roughneck” tight. The cheesy tool from the tool bag was ready to collapse when I stopped. Got on Google, found this thread and Lo and Behold! I’ve got the same nut splitter in my toolbox!
    Now, this sumbitch was so tight that I had to weld a nut to my splitter spindle. I tried double nutting it but the left- hand action just unscrewed the top nut no matter how tight I got it. Fire up the MIG welder and boom. I mean ZAP. Front wheel axle tool!
    Honestly, I’ll bet I’ve used that nut splitter like twice in 30 years. SO glad I had one in my toolbox and that I stumbled onto this thread.
    Front axle special tool-4a21a0aa-dfb5-4e3b-8794-bf0b3a2d7006.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Broke_Dirty_FZ1 View Post
    I tried that. Mine doesn't fit.
    I have a few different Sparkplug sockets and only one fits. But that is how I get my front wheel off.
    "There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."
    - John Galt

I ran into that several years ago.
    Found a metric bolt and nut with a 19mm head and welded the nut to the bolt. It's been working fine.