Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Default 2001 FZ1 Oil Issue

I recently bought a first gen fz1, which runs and sounds good. When I drained the oil it looked milky, and when I put new oil in, there were white streaks that showed in the oil gauge. I also just replaced the filter, but the white streaks are still there. Not sure if it is water, coolant, another substance, or a whole other issue. I have a pciture if it helps. Anyone know what might be the issue and how to fix it?

2001 FZ1 Oil Issue-yamahaoil.jpg

That's an indication of water in the oil. Could be a blown head gasket or another seal.

Does it look like that even after you've let the bike warm up and ride for a while? Mine got like this when I was taking short rides in the winter because the oil would heat up, then moisture would condense on the glass. It scared me pretty bad so I googled a ton and found that small streaks like that are common if you don't give it a change to get warm from a decent ride. If you're concerned, next time you drain your oil you should collect it in a clear container. The water will sink to the bottom of the container, and if you're leaking from a gasket, there should be enough to see it after a couple days of letting it sit undisturbed. I did that because my streaks made me paranoid on a new bike, but nothing separated to end up in the bottom. Do you notice anything feeling wrong with the bike performance?

Hi
    Mine was doing that when the crankcase vent tube was blocked. Since it was plugged in the air box no more milky oil.
    On my week days, the bike only runs for 10km in the morning and 10kmin the afternoon.