Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Default Honda Type 2 coolant safe for use on a FZ1 Gen 2

I need to do a coolant change on the FZ1 (Gen II) (it has turned brownish) and wanted to see if people recommend using the Honda Type 2 coolant on this bike? Or is there is another FZ1 forum recommended coolant for this bike (that is not yamacool)?

Also, is the total coolant capacity 2.5 Liters (2.25 L in radiator and 0.25 L in reservoir)?

I use Liquid Ice because of the hot summers in Florida. Shame on you for the brown coolant. There overflow is opaque, so it can be seen with the naked eye.

Everybody should also be aware that 220*F is not hot for the bike. My bike's temp spikes in traffic, but quickly cools down to 200* in the heat. In the winter it runs around 189*.

In addition, if you make regular coolant changes it is much easier to disconnect the hose instead of unscrewing the plug. You will need a few gallons of distilled water to flush the radiator properly if it was neglected.

honda coolant will inevitably make the bike slower, cause hondas are slower...
    best to stick with yamaha products.

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto_d View Post
    honda coolant will inevitably make the bike slower, cause hondas are slower...
    best to stick with yamaha products.
    Hahahahahaha!!!!! Good one Ghetto!
    Billy
    2009 FZ1 Cobalt Blue, Dynojet PCV, Ivan's ECU Flash, Two Brother's V.A.L.E. Carbon Fiber Slip-on, Dirt Road Custom Seat, M-Factory Shorty Levers, Frame Sliders, Swingarm Spools, BBS Gold Colored Wheels, GYTR Braided Lines, Philips Extreme Vision H4 Bulbs

No problem using Honda HP Coolant 50/50 in my Gen2.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBiker View Post
    No problem using Honda HP Coolant 50/50 in my Gen2.
    Thanks for the confirmation

Also found the following very decently priced:

Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-...q0-3dS69gPDgLI

Prestone Extended Life Prediluted Antifreeze/Coolant, 1 Gallon
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-...q0-3dS69gPDgLI

the yamacool is an ethylene glycol blend. the green prestone would be a good alternative; an excellent brand of coolant, with the right ingredients.
    i think the blend ratio may be a bit different between the two aforementioned brands though...