Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: Gen 1 or Gen 2

Default Gen 1 or Gen 2

Thinking about getting a FZ1 for a around town and short ride bike. I have a Harley for traveling. is the carb. bikes pretty dependable as far as having trouble with the carbs, or would I be better off getting a fuel injected bike. Thanks for the advice in advance...............

Get an mt09 for that

Sent from X-wing
    ----------------------------
    Live long, and prosper !

Both generations of FZ1 are very dependable. The carb bikes are very reliable but like anything with a carb, if it was neglected, it'll need some TLC.

I have a Gen 1 with Carbs. The only issues I had was cold starts and stalling when cold if I used cheap gas (Costco, Arco, etc). I switched to Chevron with the occasional Shell fill-up and have had zero problems since. Before the fuel change I was putting in carb/injector cleaner every other month to help with the cold start issues.

For what it is worth I had the same sorts of issues with my Fuel Injected Vstar before I switched to Chevron fuel.

Also, bought my 2003 FZ1 with 47k miles, currently at 90k, bikes run forever.
    "There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."
    - John Galt