Problem with Start from Idle While Fan is Running

Hello,

I hate making the first post to a forum a technical question, but here it goes . . .

In the last couple of months I have encountered an issue with throttle response when taking off from idle on my 07 FZ1 (CA model). The way I initially noticed this issue was after splitting lanes to the front of a light, and then having the bike sputter and protest when I started off. Even more dismaying was that the power came on about a second or two later with its normal gusto.

It happened again at the next light, so I started running through the events that could have lead up to the problem.

1. I had just been riding continuously at freeway speeds for approximately 17 miles.
2. The weather was rather warm, 80s possibly low 90s.

So I took the bike into the shop, since it is my daily driver an I figured I wanted it taken care of quickly (fail).

After going over the bike and then performing a light tune up. The problem persisted.

Took it to another shop, same deal. They did turn up the idle, but the problem turned up again.

Recently I noticed a correlation that I had not before. It never happens while the bike is not on idle or coming off idle. This only seems to happen when the bike idles for a period long enough to have the fan come on and then the throttle is engaged, leading me to believe that there could be an issue with maintaining idle while the fan is drawing power. The problem does not persist longer than 2-3 seconds after coming off idle.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. If this issue has been documented previously I apologize, I skimmed the threads in this section, but did not find any issues that seemed the same.

Thanks!

Hello,

I hate making the first post to a forum a technical question, but here it goes . . .

In the last couple of months I have encountered an issue with throttle response when taking off from idle on my 07 FZ1 (CA model). The way I initially noticed this issue was after splitting lanes to the front of a light, and then having the bike sputter and protest when I started off. Even more dismaying was that the power came on about a second or two later with its normal gusto.

It happened again at the next light, so I started running through the events that could have lead up to the problem.

1. I had just been riding continuously at freeway speeds for approximately 17 miles.
2. The weather was rather warm, 80s possibly low 90s.

So I took the bike into the shop, since it is my daily driver an I figured I wanted it taken care of quickly (fail).

After going over the bike and then performing a light tune up. The problem persisted.

Took it to another shop, same deal. They did turn up the idle, but the problem turned up again.

Recently I noticed a correlation that I had not before. It never happens while the bike is not on idle or coming off idle. This only seems to happen when the bike idles for a period long enough to have the fan come on and then the throttle is engaged, leading me to believe that there could be an issue with maintaining idle while the fan is drawing power. The problem does not persist longer than 2-3 seconds after coming off idle.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. If this issue has been documented previously I apologize, I skimmed the threads in this section, but did not find any issues that seemed the same.

Thanks!

Thats fine Cricket. First off, welcome to the club! While I'm not up on the fuel injected GenII's, I own a GenI with carbs, someone will come along soon and offer some help. Post some shots of your ride when you get a chance.

My bike will do that too once in a while. I have never noticed if the fans have kicked on or not, but it's always after it's very hot. Almost feels like it vapor locks, but that's highly unlikely due to FI higher fuel pressure. However, it does it so infrequently that I have never bothered to find the fix since it's so hard to duplicate.

Thanks for the welcome. Really enjoying the site, and the information contained within.

Other than a tank pad my bike is just about bone stock. Currently has 24,820 miles on it.

The problem feels very much like vapor lock, but the bike has been gone through extensively, and no such thing happening.

Since it seems to be temp/fan related, maybe try to mitigate the issue with keeping the engine a little cooler? Flush the cooling system and replace that with Engine Ice which makes the bike run several degrees cooler.

Have you replaced the plugs in all those miles? Have the valve clearances been checked? State of the air filter... Newer or not checked in many miles?

Let us know and see where we can get you helped out. Thanks and :welcome:

Wanted to post an update to this problem I was having in case someone else encounters it in the future. . .

So after 3-4 trips to various Yamaha mechanics the issue was solved after it became worse . . . the problem, a failed spark plug coil basically rendering one of the cylinders dead.

Initially the issue was only experienced when the bike was hot, and coming off idle. But the final day of having the issue it finally failed completely. The bike was sluggish, making weird noises, and not in a condition to ride.

Sorry for the long delay in response, and thank you to all who offered assistance. :)

Back