Krap, Overfilled The Oil ...

Two Wheels

Gents:

As a new father, I got overprotective ... overfilled the oil - probably not by much but the glass is "full". Oil to the top.

Anyway I can take some out without a full oil change? Anything ... ?

Gents:

As a new father, I got overprotective ... overfilled the oil - probably not by much but the glass is \"full\". Oil to the top.

Anyway I can take some out without a full oil change? Anything ... ?

Don't sweat it bro, just go to PepBoys, Auto Zone, or whichever store you have by you and pick up a 4 dollar siphon kit. It will cost next to nothing and you can suck the oil right down to the correct level. Also, you can just take a 2' piece of clear tubing and stick one end down into the case. Put your mouth over the other end and suck the oil up the tube about halfway then put your tongue over the hole. Pull out the end and hold it over a cup and move your tongue out of the way. The oil will pour right out no problem. I have done the same thing on occasion and it works like a charm. Any hardware store has clear tubing for about .38 cents a foot. You'll spend less than a buck and fix your overfill problem. Let us know how it works out. Billy.

either way is not going to be clean, but a little brake clean will clean any mess
either pull drain plug and let a few oz. out or
unscrew oil filter, drain filter and retest level

Must be from your days of working the doors as a bouncer -- I've siphoned some things in my day, but never would I think to do oil.

Siphon kit --- probably has merit. Turkey baster with a 1/4" tubing might also do the trick (originally used an old antifreeze tester originally)

Adam

Don't sweat it bro, just go to PepBoys, Auto Zone, or whichever store you have by you and pick up a 4 dollar siphon kit. It will cost next to nothing and you can suck the oil right down to the correct level. Also, you can just take a 2' piece of clear tubing and stick one end down into the case. Put your mouth over the other end and suck the oil up the tube about halfway then put your tongue over the hole. Pull out the end and hold it over a cup and move your tongue out of the way. The oil will pour right out no problem. I have done the same thing on occasion and it works like a charm. Any hardware store has clear tubing for about .38 cents a foot. You'll spend less than a buck and fix your overfill problem. Let us know how it works out. Billy.

I was trying to get the last little bit of gas out of my tank so it would not be such a pain to do the airbox mod. I grew up siphoning gas out of cars for the tractors and lawn mowers etc. Thought it would be easy. Tried it four times. Got more on my face and mouth than in the can. High test unleaded does not taste good. Decided to stop. Next time I will go get the $4 siphon kit. I guess I should have read this thread yesterday.

How bad a thing is it to have the oil level too high?

I had my first service/ oil change at 600 miles by the dealer I bought it from. I now have 1450 miles. I usually don't put the bike on the center stand so I never checked the level. But I had it up today to do some cleaning. I noticed the oil port is totally filled. :mad:

So it looks like the dealer overfilled it and I've been riding it like that for 800 miles. Please tell me I have nothing to worry about- unless I do of course.

How bad a thing is it to have the oil level too high?

I had my first service/ oil change at 600 miles by the dealer I bought it from. I now have 1450 miles. I usually don't put the bike on the center stand so I never checked the level. But I had it up today to do some cleaning. I noticed the oil port is totally filled. :mad:

So it looks like the dealer overfilled it and I've been riding it like that for 800 miles. Please tell me I have nothing to worry about- unless I do of course.

I never check the site glass with bike on the center stand. It's checked with the bike on a flat level surface with the kickstand down. Then just lean the bike up straight and check it then.

If the site glass is overfilled by alot, yes, it can burn the clutch, cause other issues. But it has to be pretty overfilled. When I did mine, you could see the oil through the glass half way up, on its kickstand ! too much ... so I drained it and refilled properly. Having too much in there is as bad as having too little. However, if the site glass is simply filled to the top and you can tell really its just that, I mean as soon as you start leaning it over kickstand side you can see clear glass you should be ok. But if its way overfilled, drain it and refill. Its not that sensitive, but too much is not good and can lead to major issues.

Normally I would also check the oil with the bike on both wheels but according to my owners manual (2008) it says to put it on the centerstand before you go through the start up, run for a bit, then let it settle. I've also noticed that on my bike, the oil does settle quite a bit after a while. Depending on whether it has just been running or has been idle,for a while, the level in the sight glass can be quite different. On a different note, on my Dl650 I once over filled it and for the life of me I couldn't get a 1/4" hose down through the filler hole to suck some out. It seemed the clutch ring gear was so close to the case that nothing culd get around it.

I will have to check my GenI owners manual now to see what it says about checking the site glass. I have changed the oil on my bikes many times and always had it sitting on both wheels. The bike is not running on its centerstand when riding but on its wheels. I would think that the centerstand leaning the bike forwards a bit would give you an inaccurate level in the site glass. I'll look it up and let everyone know.

My manual (2007) says the same thing as Lonerider's, use the center stand and let it warm up and cool for a few minutes.

Looks like I'm not way overfilled. My glass is empty when on the side stand but completely full with the bike upright on two wheels. As I tilt the bike even slightly from upright towards the side stand position I start to see the glass begin to empty out. I'll have to try this again on the center stand but actually letting it warm up and then cool for a few first.

Thanks for all the comments

if u drain the oil on the centerstand and fill it up with the recommended amount it'll be over full.loosen the drain plug on the centerstand if u need to but it's gotta be on the sidestand for all the old oil to drain out.i did it twice seein as i'm too hard headed to get the idea the 1'st time.did it right the last time filled it up with the recommended amount and it was perfect lookin at it on the centerstand.

Back