Differences in 2007 and 2008 model year

What are the differences if any between these years. I have a dealer with a 2007 that will give me $2,000 for my trade and sell me a 2007 FZ1 with 4000 miles for $5500.

Have another that will only give me $1,600 for my trade and sell me a 2008 FZ1 with 3,000 miles for $6250.

The 2007 is blue with black rims which I like better than the granite grey with gold rims on the 2008.

I'm thinking the 2007 is my best bet unless there's something about the years that would make a difference. After reading these forums it seems 2007+ are the years to get with no real difference between them.

2006 Revision
Colors: Liquid Silver/Shift Red
Stiff rear spring with a 700 lb/in
2006 version when first introduced had distinct throttle snatch at 5000–6000 rpm, where rolling off the throttle and rolling back on caused a distinct surge in acceleration due to faster opening of the sub-throttle plates or secondary flies.
[edit]2007 Revision
Colors: Raven, Cobalt Blue
Yamaha also softened the rear shock spring rated at 650 lb/in
Fuel Injection updated. From 2007 onwards Yamaha solved the throttle snatch issue by slowing the rate at which the secondary flies were being opened.
[edit]2008 Revision
Colors: Candy Red, Granite Gray
The 2008 model is technically unchanged from 2007.
Only change for 2008 other than colors was golden rims.
[edit]2009 Revision
Colors: Cobalt Blue, Granite Gray/Raven
The 2009 model (introduced on September 08, 2008) is technically unchanged from 2007 and 2008.
Yamaha changed to dark gold rims
Replaced the gold anodized USD forks with black anodized ones.
Yamaha also reintroduced the Raven color scheme but with slight changes and called it Granite Gray.
[edit]2010 Revision
Colors: Candy Red, Raven
The 2010 model (introduced on September 08, 2009) comes with revised ECU mapping to achieve improved throttle response in the low to mid-rpm range.
Yamaha reverted back to 08 gold rims and the gold anodized USD forks.
Yamaha also reintroduced the Red color scheme.
Finally FZ1 now comes with black powdercoated exhaust, rearsets and passenger peg assemblies to match the frame.

Sweet, I guess since I like the blue w/black rims better than the grey w/gold rims I may as well go with the cheaper deal. Heading to the dealer on Thursday to hopefully close the deal!

Last edited:
That's the good news.

The bad news is that the 06 was the best FZ built to date. Just faster and better handling is all. Seriously.

Jerm,

I think you can do better than that.

Do some more research, and perhaps consider out of state dealers. Almost sounds like they're trying to give you new bike prices for used bikes..

Really? I thought that the 2007 was a good deal based on the classifieds and other listings I've seen. If I go out of state that'll involve either my time driving out there to pick it up along with a rental truck, or shipping the bike to me, both of which cost money. I'd rather buy local where I can test the bike out first. Unfortunately there are only 2 dealers in my area with FZ1's.

Also I have the issue of selling my bike. I've been listing it on the classifieds at $2,500 and no takers. I'm not a patient guy when I want something that's why I'm just going to trade it in.

Keep in mind too that I work 50+ hours a week and going to school for my Masters degree so I would rather pay a few hundred more to not have to spend a full day to go pick up a bike right now. Maybe in the summer once school ends, but not now.

Finally in case my original post wasn't clear, they are selling me the bike for $5500, I'm getting $2000 for my trade in, so I'll pay $3,500 in cash for the bike.

I agree

Sounds like a reasonable deal. Go for it.

:+2:

As long as you are happy with the deal, which sounds good to me, then great. I only wish mine was that cheap. How do you really put a price on happiness... Oh right, with a paper tag and red and black letters.:stirpot:

My bad... For some reason I was thinking $7500 OTD, not $3500 :)

I suppose $5500 is not bad for a '07 with 4K. Need to factor in what the old bike is worth, and put a price tag on the hassle of trying to get rid of it.

Good luck!

Just got back from picking up the bike, it's fantastic! It's in flawless condition and drives better than I imagined. It was a 1hr ride to the dealer, by the time I got there my but was sore and my wrists hurt (on my old bike), but the ride back on the FZ1 was great. Ergo's are very comfortable for me and I felt like I just got on the bike when I got home an hour later.

Well I'm off for more riding, just stopped in to get a bite to eat. Pics will come tomorrow, although everyone here has probably already seen a total stock FZ1 :)

Just got back from picking up the bike, it's fantastic! It's in flawless condition and drives better than I imagined. It was a 1hr ride to the dealer, by the time I got there my but was sore and my wrists hurt (on my old bike), but the ride back on the FZ1 was great. Ergo's are very comfortable for me and I felt like I just got on the bike when I got home an hour later.

Well I'm off for more riding, just stopped in to get a bite to eat. Pics will come tomorrow, although everyone here has probably already seen a total stock FZ1 :)

Congratulations and welcome to the FZ1 family! Oh and do post up some pictures. We never get tired of seeing FZ1s around here :D

Back