Change sproket for better Gas Mileage...

fz1atp

Need advice....gonna be using the bike for some driving...need max milage.....
what set-up sproket can i go with to increase gas milage...07 model..
thanks, guys

anybody done such???

people have done it... and the easiest way is to go smaller on the rear... you *can* go larger on the front, but you run into clearance issues rather quickly, and you end up having to do a bit of grinding to make everything fit right...

"Max Mileage" is rather relative... because the smaller you go with the rear sprocket, the more the speedometer will be incorrect, and the more you'll have to slip the clutch in order to get the bike moving.... personally, I wouldn't go much lower than 40 teeth on the rear... I think any more than that, it would be unrideable.... also remember that this only really works to a certain extent... once you hit a point, the mileage stops going up because the bike is working harder to overcome wind resistance...also, I don't know if it's important or not, but past a certain point, your top speed will actually decrease because the bike won't be able to overcome wind resistance....

You might want to drop 2 teeth from the rear at first... see how that works for you...

All good points Aaron. I will just emphasize that the Gen II bikes with their tall 1st gear aren't going to take too kindly to higher gearing when taking off. Even if you decrease the rear gear by 1 or 2 teeth it's going to make taking off an exercise in clutch slippage, especially with a passenger or lots of cargo.

Personally I am not sure that it will be worth much more that 2-3 MPG...

Good thoughts.....thanks guys.....I'm not sure 2-3 mpg is worth it either....

anybody have any hard numbers to verify this....????

thanks again

it all depends upon how you drive with whatever setup. I've gotten 45-48mph with a 15/47 setup, and I've obtained >32 with the same setup.

either way, take offs are fun and don't push the evenlope to even come close to the top end of the bike.....

So, what is stock pn the back??
and where do i get a 40??

Stock Gen II rear sprocket is 45T. I am not even sure anyone makes a 40T and fitting that would surely entail shortening the chain.

Just to give you an idea of gas mileage. Most guys that change the front sprocket from the stock 17T to a 16T report a drop in mileage of 3-4 MPG. And just as an FYI dropping the front one is the equivalent (more or less) of increasing the rear by 3 teeth. I know this info is the opposite of what you're trying to accomplish, but I am just bringing it up again to give you an idea of what you might expect in mileage increase by replacing the rear 45T sprocket with one that has less teeth.

what would the cost be of changing sprokets...?
especially if you have to change the length of the chain??

would the rear be "easier" mechanically to change since there is a clearance issue with going bigger on the front..

thanks again guys.

what would the cost be of changing sprokets...?
especially if you have to change the length of the chain??

would the rear be "easier" mechanically to change since there is a clearance issue with going bigger on the front..

thanks again guys.

I don't know what the cost of changing sprockets would be since this is something that I would normally do myself .

The rear sprocket will be far easier to replace than the front since it will only involve the removal of the rear wheel.

If you don't want to deal with shortening the chain then maybe think about only going down 1 or 2 teeth on the rear sprocket.

Hi Tony, I'm just curious if the rear sprocket from the GenII will fit the GenI? I'm talking about the stock sprocket. I was thinking about going 1 up in the rear next go around.

Yes, they are interchangeable and an excellent idea to go +1 on the rear. You might even be able to score a low mileage used set. Actually the stock FZ6 sprockets (16/46) would be perfect for your bike. Might want to start looking over on the sister site ;)

I went down two teeth on my Bandit's rear sprocket and liked the result so I've been thinking of doing the same thing on my new FZ1. True, the Bandit has more torque to deal with starts from first gear, but the FZ sure is no slouch and I don't think starts would be a problem. And two teeth smaller in the back actually means the speedometer will be MORE acurate, not less. Recall that the speed is taken from somewhere inside the engine/transmission and, with no mods., is about 10% optimistic. So, if you change the rear sprocket and get more road speed out of the bike at a given rpm, the signal to your speedometer has not changed but your speed has gone up and is closer to what you are actually seeing. On the Bandit, two teeth smaller in the rear made the speedometer almost dead on. I suspect the same would be the case on the FZ1. What I like most about the change is the more relaxed cruising RPM. Ok, wheelie capability is reduced, as are quarter mile times, but that's not too important to me. Anyway, really love the FZ1--will probably sell the Bandit--too big and heavy.

Back